The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #26
In The Ten Ring

Re: Anybody build their own grill guard?

I bought a Luverne brush guard from a forum member last year but I haven't decided to put it on yet. If I do, it will be to prevent a dog or deer impact shattering my grill.

The until STILL has the original "Luverne" sticker on it!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #27
DarkFlounder

Not built by me, came with the truck when I got it. Rear bumper matches, and I like the look.

I'm thinking about some modifications on the bumper (remove the old winch, mount a new winch inside, trim the back to move the whole bumper back and conform better to the shape of the grill and fenders, maybe add a few lights).
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2015, 01:06 AM   #28
treveiger

See I'd love something like that!
Old 04-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #29
LMREESE

Does anyone have one of these style brush guards? If so what size is the flat bar it's made out of?
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #30
Lewistgl

its been some years but do you have any of those guards still available?
Lewistgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #31
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewistgl View Post
its been some years but do you have any of those guards still available?
I bought two from this forum so they are still available. Just watch the ads, jump when you see one you like.

I had the first shipped (no box) and the second I drove up and bought in person. I think the first is 3/16 inch thick.

If one can weld, I am sure they could make one.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:52 AM   #32
treveiger

I recently received a welder from my wife for a anniversary gift. I've been building things and repairing things ever since I got it. I'm hoping once I move to a bigger garage I'll be able to start welding on my truck and this will be one of the projects.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:16 AM   #33
CG
BlahBlahBlah

randy500 built a nice one for a GMC, Im sure it could be modified a touch for Chevy if a person wanted. Here is the thread ...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=783837&page=2
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:16 AM   #34
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlounder View Post
Not built by me, came with the truck when I got it. Rear bumper matches, and I like the look.

I'm thinking about some modifications on the bumper (remove the old winch, mount a new winch inside, trim the back to move the whole bumper back and conform better to the shape of the grill and fenders, maybe add a few lights).
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMREESE View Post
Does anyone have one of these style brush guards? If so what size is the flat bar it's made out of?
Funny, but to me the terminology here is flipped. I consider the Luverne/GM acc'y guards to be grille guards because they guard the whole grille and are lighter duty to guard against brush that can get right stout. This is what I thought was meant in the title of the thread. The other type I consider a brush guard because they are tough enough to go plowing trees over w/o damage to them. Extensions were available to cover around the headlights. I recall the basic one called push bars and with the extensions they were brush guards (wouldn't want to go pushing over brush w/ only the center protected). We used to make our own. They are so simple. Just two side plates with a few tubes welded between. Yeah, more to it like cutting the shape & the bumper profile out, as well as a way to attach to frame. The store boughts were 1/4" plate with two thin wall 2" tubes. We'd use 3/8" plate, schedule 40 tube (sometimes 2.5"), with a third tube across the bottom. Reason for that was you'd put tow hooks at the lower outer side plates and first time you'd go to yank someone out of the mud you'd bent the side plates in

Here's one that was on the SWB I had. Not sure if it was homemade or not. It was funky the way the side plates came up so tall, making me think homemade. But at the bumper were welded these special thick oval shaped mounting tabs to help fit the contour of the bumper
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-26-2019 at 06:28 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:58 PM   #35
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Funny, but to me the terminology here is flipped. I consider the Luverne/GM acc'y guards to be grille guards because they guard the whole grille and are lighter duty to guard against brush that can get right stout. This is what I thought was meant in the title of the thread. The other type I consider a brush guard because they are tough enough to go plowing trees over w/o damage to them. Extensions were available to cover around the headlights. I recall the basic one called push bars and with the extensions they were brush guards (wouldn't want to go pushing over brush w/ only the center protected). We used to make our own. They are so simple. Just two side plates with a few tubes welded between. Yeah, more to it like cutting the shape & the bumper profile out, as well as a way to attach to frame. The store boughts were 1/4" plate with two thin wall 2" tubes. We'd use 3/8" plate, schedule 40 tube (sometimes 2.5"), with a third tube across the bottom. Reason for that was you'd put tow hooks at the lower outer side plates and first time you'd go to yank someone out of the mud you'd bent the side plates in

Here's one that was on the SWB I had. Not sure if it was homemade or not. It was funky the way the side plates came up so tall, making me think homemade. But at the bumper were welded these special thick oval shaped mounting tabs to help fit the contour of the bumper
Where I'm from most all 4x4 trucks had brush/grille guards on them back in the 70s & 80s. Around here they were always known as cattle guards and that's still what I call them except on here. I like the nostalgic farm truck look they give a truck but also I dont like covering up that classic grille. I myself have had more grilles damaged by birds than anything else.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:42 AM   #36
special-K
Special Order

Yeah Rob. I stopped using them when I started treating the trucks as a specialty I wanted to see in it's full glory with no distractions... a cleaner look... and stopped bashing around off road so much. That's when I got into GM bumper guards. But I don't like those (71/72 style) on my GMC. They compete with the grille design. I have the 67-70s style I may install at the 71/72 location. I also used to always make tube bumpers, first round, then went to 2 x 6 tube.

I bought my first pair of extreme bend tow hooks off the classified section of Pickups & Panels In Print from a guy in Chicago. They were new take offs because he installed a push bar thingamajiggy... $35 shipped and he sandblasted them for me . I didn't like them being bent the same way and never used them. Still don't

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:30 AM   #37
dozerbill72

Tim, funny you say that about the extremes bent the same direction. I had two sets of hooks given to me in the early 90's, one extremes one regular. I used the regulars right away and threw the extremes in bucket thinking they where a mismatched set. I was quit thrilled to find them a few years ago and even more pleased they still had the hardware with them.
dozerbill72 is offline   Reply With Quote