The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
May70

Asking for some inputs on swapping 292 for?

I need some input on the following; I live in VA and due to some health issues I basically come to the conclusion that I have to have ac or I cant drive the truck for 5-6 months during the warmer months. I would also like to have power steering. I think it would be foolish to go through all this and not be able to drive the truck half the year here. My truck has a 292 in it and I have seen maybe 3 or 4 pictures of guys who have ac and ps. The setups were highly custom and just looked out of my capabilities. Ive heard talk of brackets available but I can only find some fabricated ones on ebay. In short I have a 292, but I need ac and power steering, what is the easiest way? swap to?

Just to give some back ground I bought a c20 with 292/4 spd back in march. Its pretty rough body wise but from what ive gathered not too far gone. I was hoping to just drive it for maybe a year to decide for sure this is what I wanted. The motor has been giving me a fit and it doesn't look like I will be figuring out any time soon (different thread topic). I could take it to a shop but then that would be $ out for something it is sounding like wont meet my needs. From what ive read on this forum L6 are much more expensive than other options to do much with.

I dont want performance I just want something reliable and I can drive any time of year. I have never swapped anything so I have little idea what all that entails. I would prefer not to sell the truck and find a v8 truck but am not 100% opposed.

Looking for some experience to help me re-evaluate. Thanks
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Asking for some inputs on swapping 292 for?

Before you start chasing part #s and brackets / parts are you ready to drop $2,000.00 into it to get PS and air ? Because before your done that's what it's going to cost .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #3
May70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Before you start chasing part #s and brackets / parts are you ready to drop $2,000.00 into it to get PS and air ? Because before your done that's what it's going to cost .
To get them on my current 292? 2k to get what I need without swapping sounds like a good option. Pretty easy install?
Old 08-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
To get them on my current 292? 2k to get what I need without swapping sounds like a good option. Pretty easy install?
Call vintage air to ask about what you need for your truck and there are many threads on adding power steering . Easy ? it all depends on you and your mechanical abilities also having all the tools required , if you plan on having someone else install all of it add $2,000.00 .

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=216886

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
In The Ten Ring

My dad put power boosted steering onto my truck by getting parts off cars in a junkyard. This was 1992 and I recall at least one Nova.

Do you really need AC? I ask because I've been literally digging up my yard, hauling off coal-dirt-contaminated soil and rocks. The driver's side window on Dad's Canyon has been stuck in the down position and even though it's hot and muggy, I have't really had any issues. I don't think AC is really needed, at least where I live.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:09 PM   #6
suville

I am using this: http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/chevr...ve_system.html
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #7
old51sedan

Grumpy is pretty accurate on his pricing. I have a 69 that I'm currently installing a 292 in after removing the 250. I bought air conditioning from Vintage air last fall for the truck while it was being painted so that I could install the panel under the hood that covers the holes left after removing the old heater core and fan. It was right in the area of $1400.00 It comes with detailed instructions. The power steering is like hens teeth to find. I've decided to make my on brackets for that. You best bet may be to find most of the parts from your local junk yard off from another truck. The steering box, pitman arm, and several other items need to be switched also.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
May70

Quote:
Originally Posted by suville View Post
Got pictures? Do you have an HEI distributor? Curious to know if the hei dizzy will fit under that.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #9
May70

Yeah i called them its 1500 for the kit but there bracket mounts top drivers side which I don't want. 50$ up charge on the kit if you want their bracket btw. Thats not bad. With brackets I assume 500 bucks more so 2k. Good est.

Yes I have to have AC due to some breathing complications.

Old51, interesting I wasn't aware it would be that hard to get ps parts. I saw someone on this forum sold the brackets to weld up to the frame. I was planning on buying what I could new. Not much near me for parts for these trucks. I have a few private guys who have some parts but not much.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #10
old51sedan

I understand not wanting it on the left side, the PS and the alt are both there, besides if it's on the passenger side it's a straight shot into the firewall with the hoses. I have the bracket for the passenger side. Yes I have an electronic dist with the separate coil, but it still will not fit without modificing the bracket. I do have a petronix hei kit in my original dist that I may use. One of the things you will need is a 3 grove harmonic balancer if your going to run PS also.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote