The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #26
weq92f

Re: Collector Plates Craziness

Just went through something similar in Texas for my '67. Here the registration of a classic or antique vehicle is based on date of manufacture with no inspection of the vehicle. The state will issue classic/antique tags if you want or, like in my case, the owner can submit real used state license plates of the correct vintage ( 1967 for me ) to be inspected and approved for use on the vehicle.

I got the license plates off an auction site and took them to the DMV for approval. No issues at all.

I went 'Classic' so there are no restrictions on use and still require annual safety inspection. Could have gone 'Antique' which is similar but reduces all the fees down to nearly nothing and no annual safety inspection. The difference is that there are restrictions for how it can be used on the streets ( mostly to and from shows only ).

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #27
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I suck with photoshop and I did this in about 30 seconds (you need someone who can get the chips around the latch to look more realistic.)

I would take a pic from a slightly different angle, photoshop it, and send it back. I mean, denying your entire application because of a few glovebox paint chips and a little bumper rust (Come on, you're in CAN, new cars have rust) is a little ridiculous.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #28
RustyBucket

Florida has quite a variety of choices for licensing on old/custom/kit/street rod vehicles. I have blue ANTIQUE tags on both the GMC & Blazer. About $40 a yr. I think. Matches the factory dk. blue pretty well. Never had any inspection or request for pictures. I'm sure there are some abuses. Here's a link that details some choices: http://tvraaca.org/autoregistration.htm

You can also purchase personalized tags or choose from over 100 specialty tags.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #29
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrollin70gmc View Post
This also makes me glad North Dakota only goes on age (and no restrictions on how/when to drive them) for permanent antique plates.
Yup. Same with Montana. Any car or pickup 11 years old or older can get one time permanent plates with no restrictions for about $350.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #30
Bigdav160

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
So it won't be a rickety unsafe for public hiways get around the laws hunk of junk going down the road as long as the glovebox door and hitch area of the step bumper don't have minor paint flaws? Ok, thanks for explaining. It all makes so much sense to me now
The high fees/premiums help pay for socialized medicine.

Somebody's got to pay for it.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #31
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post

Where'd you hear that stupidity!!
So you think our health care is free do you!!
It isn't!
We still pay 100 month whether we use it or not.
And I still pay 6 grand in taxes every year and I'm over 65. Comes off my pension.

The insurance premiums are higher here because it's a no-fault system.
Doesn't matter where you live, it all costs money.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:49 PM   #32
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
So you think our health care is free do you!!
It isn't!
He never said it was free. He said it was socialized - which it is. Which just means that we pay for all the lazy bums health care.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #33
special-K
Special Order

Lazy bums have always had free medical care available to them. It's people with jobs who get paid so little they can't afford health care for their families that the current program is intended to help, if you're talking about the United States. This thread is dealing with Canadian issues.

My state changed historic plates to vehicles 20 and older for some reason. I saw this coming, '90s non-descript/nothing special (except cheap) cars that can run a few hundred thousand miles showing up with historic tags running around daily. Corollas with taped lenses, plastic over side window with a ladder strapped to the roof and back seat/trunk loaded with tools. Now comes "what's next". On Oct 1 this year a new law comes out forbidding use, including drive to work, commercial, carrying passengers, carrying personal possessions, etc. This sucks. So you can't take the family to the beach for vacation in your '55 Nomad, Suburban, vintage camper? I can see it has to be limited use, but how we chose to use our classics is our business. I've always run old vehicles and used them on occasion to do whatever I wanted. Thanksgiving, pile the family into the '63 Riviera and head up to Grandma's and Grandpa's. 4th of July, hop in the '71 Blazer and head to Aunt Janette's. I could go on and on. I've sat at shows with my perfect restorations and no longer am feeling it, but I still enjoy owning and driving old vehicles!

I'm going to put my '72 K2500 through Maryland safety inspection (once I replace rusty rockers), put regular tags on, and regular insurance so I can come and go without fear of being hassled for heading in a direction they don't want me to. If I had ever had it registered regular in the past it would be a simple matter of changing it around. We are only required to have vehicles inspected when they change ownership

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-03-2016 at 12:40 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #34
AlbertaClassic

In Alberta, it is a lot easier to get plates, but there is quite a lot of restriction. For my insurance, I only need to get an appraisal done (Intact Insurance) and it is good to go. I pay about $12 a year for every $1000 it is worth. I only have a 76 F250 right now (I use it as a house build work truck so I can beat it up), which appraised for $6500, and my insurance is $80 a year, way down from the $1300-$1400 it would be as a young adult for regular insurance. I am limited to 5000km a year, however I can use it any way I want. Collector plates is a different story.

I have to bring my classic insurance to the registry and they will give you classic plates for a one time fee of $50, no need to renew. However, the registry says you are ONLY allowed to drive it to car shows and back and forth to the shop to get work done. Those are the only 2 uses allowed by the government for a vehicle on classic plates here legally. Will a cop pull you over if he sees you driving to the beach? Probably not, but why risk it. I get the classic insurance and just pony up the $90 a year for a regular plate, I just have to keep under the kms for insurance.

I'm not exactly sure how it is in BC, but you stated the classic insurance and plates are regulated by one body. Maybe try to get classic insurance through another company and run regular plates? Sorry if my post doesn't make much sense. Lots of rambling. And yes, I am sorry I own a Ford, but chevys here cost so much more for something I would like to beat up 0:
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

AlbertaClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #35
LongBox

In BC, the rules are, 25 years old or more, except for some very limited production vehicles. No driving to work or to school, not even part way. Vehicle can be either stock, or a modified vehicle. If it is stock, must be as close to as left the factory as possible, except for some safety upgrades (disk brakes, better lights). Must be in good condition, no dents, no rust, no torn upholstery, and, as I just found out: no paint chips on the glove box door.

The savings in insurance and license fees are substantial. From around $1200 to around $300 per year, depending on your driving record.

Those are the basics.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #36
Dave K.

in Wisconsin we just apply for the plates and voila, they arrive. You see a lot of inner-city folks with beaters driving on them. Good on them. Of course you can't drive during January for some reason on collector plates but most cops haven't a clue what the limits are. Haggerty usually requires some imagery and scrutiny which I understand. Anyway, the scrutiny by the guy doing the assessment is kind of laughable really. Photoshop and be on your way. This is nucking futs.
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:55 PM   #37
69Chummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBox View Post
In BC, the rules are, 25 years old or more, except for some very limited production vehicles. No driving to work or to school, not even part way. Vehicle can be either stock, or a modified vehicle. If it is stock, must be as close to as left the factory as possible, except for some safety upgrades (disk brakes, better lights). Must be in good condition, no dents, no rust, no torn upholstery, and, as I just found out: no paint chips on the glove box door.

The savings in insurance and license fees are substantial. From around $1200 to around $300 per year, depending on your driving record.

Those are the basics.
They are really picky with your truck for some reason. Some of the collector cars in my neighborhood in Vancouver look like sh*t.
69Chummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #38
69turqGMC

Here in Manitoba we have collector plates, your vehicle has to be 25 years and older and valued over $5000 and its insured year round . You pay the yearly rate from May 1 to Sept 30 . My 69 GMC is $297 a year with full coverage and I can drive it every day. Can't wait till spring as it's hibernating right now
Attached Images

69turqGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:49 AM   #39
ratty69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Chummins View Post
They are really picky with your truck for some reason. Some of the collector cars in my neighborhood in Vancouver look like sh*t.
Yup, seen those too. However, they WERE nice when approved. You only need approval/re-approval when ownership changes. Maintaining perfect condition is on the honour system. BUT, if you ever need to make a claim and you've modified/neglected your car, they can deny you! And knowing them, likely will...
ratty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:59 AM   #40
Coley

Smile Re: Collector Plates Craziness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post

Its not all bad news.
My cousin who is 55 had a heart attack this past summer and had to get a 'stent' (stint?) put in.
Regardless, he was in the hospital for a week on all the usual equipment and medication....it cost him $55 (Canadian), most of which was for the cable rental on the T.V....I think..
He is a very hard working, worthwhile guy with his own construction company.
Sometimes forward thinking pays off.....eh...lol.
C.
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #41
LongBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
I have an extra one here you can have. Just have to pick it up.
I would like to pick it up. Sent you a PM, offered to pay or trade for beer. Let me know.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:25 PM   #42
Gillnetter

Sent you a pm. Give me a call.
Wayne
1970 SWB 4x4 4 speed 307
Gillnetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:57 AM   #43
LongBox

Just wanted say thank you to Gillnetter, who passed along a good useable glove box door. He did not want anything for it, a very generous guy.

He and his brother are both proud owners of some really lovely 72 Chevy trucks, and it was a pleasure to see them.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #44
LongBox

Time to bring this thread to a (hopefully) happy close. Took photos of the touched-up step bumper, the SPID sheet, and the newly-painted glove box door, and sent them off to the collector-car office yesterday.

Took the best glove box door I had, removed the push button, sanded down to bare metal or factory primer, washed down with lacquer thinnner, two coats of primer/filler, 600 grit wet sand, and two finish coats with Krylon Equestrian (that's the name of the colour) gloss. The colour is a damn close match, even closer than the Rustoleum Nutmeg,, which only comes in Satin. With all the prep, I still ended up with one tiny fisheye in the paint, but it's pretty damn good. Here's a photo.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #45
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69turqGMC View Post
Here in Manitoba we have collector plates, your vehicle has to be 25 years and older and valued over $5000 and its insured year round . You pay the yearly rate from May 1 to Sept 30 . My 69 GMC is $297 a year with full coverage and I can drive it every day. Can't wait till spring as it's hibernating right now
Very nice GMC and I love the look.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote