The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
'70_402

Do I really need power brakes?

1968 c10 soon to have an LS swap... Do I really really need power brakes?? if I stick with what I have and make sure they are all working right and are adjusted correctly will I be fine?? I'm not going to road course race this thing... it's gonna be a cruiser/daily driver.

Same thing goes for power steering... don't have it either.
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Do I really need power brakes?

If you can steer it and stop it, you don't need power steering or power brakes. Is it 4 wheel drum? You would see an improvement in braking performance if you went to front disc brakes. Those can be manual, as well, with the same sort of effort as is required for manual drum brakes.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
67 chevelle

Nope , if it stops good as is, go with it , latter on if you want to stop quicker, power disc's atleast up front will do that for you
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #4
Bigdav160

Power brakes were practically unheard of with drum systems.

Disc brakes changed that because they require more pressure. So power assist became standard.

I know some with say disc brakes are fine without power assist. I have one old Corvette with manual disc brakes and another with power disc brake and while they both stop, the power assist car is more enjoyable.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #5
jessemthompson

It will have a lot more go with the LS in it, power brakes would be a definite plus for some whoah.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
weq92f

Like you said, if you keep it adjusted, it'll be fine! You know what your truck will do and you can keep it under it's limits and be safe.

That aside, I've driven both manual disk and manual drum trucks. Either are fine for a light application.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

I say why would you not want power assist steering or brakes? It costs no horse power for the pb and the power steering takes minimal hp to operate and both just make the truck more enjoyable to drive. With the increased hp of the new heart beat better steering and brakes would be just the ticket.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #8
RGT

I have owned several of these trucks and never missed power brakes or power steering when I did not have them. I towed a car and trailer trailer often a 71 C10 6 cylinder non power brakes and it was fine. I have thought about taking the power steering off my truck and getting a manual box as it seems like a waste and I prefer the way a manual box truck feels on the highway...
Old 04-07-2017, 10:23 PM   #9
franken

Its an old toy truck. You don't need anything. It doesn't need to run, stop, steer, or even exist.
You have to decide what you want.
Years ago I had a 69 Chevy C20 as my only vehicle. Manual steering. manual drum brakes. You learn to drive within the limitations of the vehicle.

Today we maybe tend to over drive the old stuff since we're so used the newer vehicles...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:29 PM   #10
Robznob11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGT View Post
I have owned several of these trucks and never missed power brakes or power steering when I did not have them. I towed a car and trailer trailer often a 71 C10 6 cylinder non power brakes and it was fine. I have thought about taking the power steering off my truck and getting a manual box as it seems like a waste and I prefer the way a manual box truck feels on the highway...
Powersteering is definitely a +....i just converted. But i actually also just went from power brakes back to manual for clearance issues....but it is a wilwood pedal and master that match😆
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:28 AM   #11
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGT View Post
...I prefer the way a manual box truck feels on the highway...
This is so true. The manual box has a driving 'feel' that you don't get with PS. Drove a 68 for many years with manual drums and manual steering. The steering is easy really, especially once your moving! Even with 275 tires!

I used to slide around a lot back then in the truck, usually on wet or otherwise slippery roads ( dirt, gravel, open field, snow ). It's called drifting now LOL. I was drifting before drifting was cool! It all started on a go-cart when I was about 8 ( 1977 ), which incidentally had manual steering too.

My friends were amazed at how quick and easy I could keep up with the drifting given my truck had manual steering and such a small wheel ( really small steering wheel, 3 spoke 14" or so ). What they didn't get, and many others as well, is that when over steer needs correction, the effort to do that on the wheel is minimal. More true on unassisted steering systems IMO.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold

Last edited by weq92f; 04-08-2017 at 12:58 AM.
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #12
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Manual steering. manual drum brakes. You learn to drive within the limitations of the vehicle.
Very true. Every time I jump into one of the old trucks, it puts me in a good mood and slows me down. I just never over drive them.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:18 PM   #13
'70_402

Yea, I think I'm gonna keep it simple and stick with the manual brakes and steering.. on my last truck, I had wide tires and a big block and my power steering pump went out... I drove it for quite a while with no power steering... it was fine.
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #14
NGN

I'll drive at any time of the day and week so there could be some traffic , I stay my distance but I like my response time better with power disc brakes. With manual steering , better anytime while moving but ,, I like my power steering when parking ,k turning and things like that
Posted via Mobile Device
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #15
weim55

To run power steering with the ls will actually be an easier upgrade than to modify the assy. drive to work without the power steering pump. Just a thought......

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:13 AM   #16
In The Ten Ring

Just drive like you have some sense and you should be fine. Don't follow too closely, plan your stops, and whatever you do, put the phone down. If you need to talk constantly with someone, talk to yourself.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:19 AM   #17
GR8-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
If you need to talk constantly with someone, talk to yourself.
I do plenty of that

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #18
Myoldtruck

My 70 c10 had manual brakes and steering for awhile, no big deal. You just need to give yourself more time to make adjustments in steering and braking distance.

You also dont need cable tv or internet, but its nice to have it.

That being said, i did power brake booster on my drums brake system last year and it was a worth while upgrade. I just did the power steering conversion last week, also making my life easier parking. Just make sure the high pressure hose isnt touching the headers, because it will burn thru the hose, ask me how I know that one.
Myoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #19
Smittee

I hope not! I say that because I just installed a Wilwood manual master cylinder. According to my "expert" when you have a vacuum assist power booster you rarely get the amount of vacuum out that is required for "power" brakes. I must add that I have also gone to 4 wheel disc brakes on the 68 C10. According to two different sources those new brakes and m/c will pretty much throw me through the windshield. Of course that won't happen because I will be belted in!
The way I figure it also is that IF I don't feel this brake setup is adequate the I will simply add a hydro boost to the m/c. I don't think I can fail with this backup plan AND the hydro boost REALLY won't rob any power from my ZZ4 engine.
All of that said, the last paragraph MAY BE the most important out of all this drivel!
Smittee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #20
60apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittee View Post
I hope not! I say that because I just installed a Wilwood manual master cylinder. According to my "expert" when you have a vacuum assist power booster you rarely get the amount of vacuum out that is required for "power" brakes. I must add that I have also gone to 4 wheel disc brakes on the 68 C10. According to two different sources those new brakes and m/c will pretty much throw me through the windshield. Of course that won't happen because I will be belted in!
The way I figure it also is that IF I don't feel this brake setup is adequate the I will simply add a hydro boost to the m/c. I don't think I can fail with this backup plan AND the hydro boost REALLY won't rob any power from my ZZ4 engine.
All of that said, the last paragraph MAY BE the most important out of all this drivel!
so are you happy with it or did you add the power to the brakes?
60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #21
60apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
Powersteering is definitely a +....i just converted. But i actually also just went from power brakes back to manual for clearance issues....but it is a wilwood pedal and master that match😆
how do you like it? compared to power brakes?
60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #22
Robznob11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60apache View Post
how do you like it? compared to power brakes?
The power brakes did have that power booster feel. But this wilwood set up is fine. It is not a hard pedal like some factory setups. It has a nice feel. I actually just installed a 9" rear with rear disc too and I still like it with disc on 4 corners. Infact I usually drive bare footed. I don't like all the dirt on the new black carpet, so I kick the shoes off😆
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:57 PM   #23
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
The power brakes did have that power booster feel. But this wilwood set up is fine. It is not a hard pedal like some factory setups. It has a nice feel. I actually just installed a 9" rear with rear disc too and I still like it with disc on 4 corners. Infact I usually drive bare footed. I don't like all the dirt on the new black carpet, so I kick the shoes off😆
Well, there we have it. Even 4 wheel disc brakes don't need a booster, which I have always maintained. Though if you have a size 12 5E foot like I do, that might explain a little. I'm personally considering getting rid of the power brakes on my truck, for the simple reason that it will still stop well with the right components, and having the engine stall, with not having vacuum (or hydraulic) assist, the braking would not be affected. Manual disc brakes have been around for a long time.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Power brakes don't give more braking power. They are the same brakes. It give the same braking power with less effort. They are a convenience item, not a performance item. 71/72 trucks could still be had with manual disc brakes. My neighbor built his '68 shortbed from the ground up and retained the manual disc set-up to stop his ZZ4 muscle. He had been building cars since most here were born, from muscle cars to street rods built with a little from this and a little from that and he didn't want or need the extra apparatis or added drag on the motor. All manual truck including 4spd.

I had a '69 Dodge W200 Power Wagon that was all manual with 37/15.50 tires. Never had an issue stopping it. Good thing it was equipped with Armstrong steering for parallel parking
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #25
StingRay

My 72 GMC came stock with manual disc. Power was not standard. I added power and it was a huge improvement. I've had GM cars with manual drum brakes and added power that also made a huge improvement. It's a worthwhile upgrade.

Try pulling a trailer with manual brakes. You'll have a brake booster on there the next day. That's how my 72 got it's upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
Power brakes were practically unheard of with drum systems.

Disc brakes changed that because they require more pressure. So power assist became standard.

I know some with say disc brakes are fine without power assist. I have one old Corvette with manual disc brakes and another with power disc brake and while they both stop, the power assist car is more enjoyable.