The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #1
ImNoSpaz
Registered User
 
ImNoSpaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sparks, Nevada
Posts: 102
77 Scottsdale 4x4

I have had this truck for over 40 years and am close to finishing the 67c10.

I figured I would start looking for front end parts because I always had issues with the front left hub bearing nuts backing off. Still full time 4 wheel btw. It's been sitting and going to heck for 20 of those years.

I know what this truck is. It's what we called a heavy half way back then. The front end parts are bigger than standard 1/2 ton. I'm running into parts people who continue to sell me the wrong stuff and argue with me about it. I took a complete hub down there last time to show them. They were lost and pretty much threw their arms up in the air.

So is there a new name these are called now so I don't have to deal with this anymore when looking for parts?
ImNoSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:30 PM   #2
jocko
Senior Member
 
jocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burleson, TX
Posts: 16,688
Re: 77 Scottsdale 4x4

Is it a K10 or a K20? Got a SPID picture? Heavy half is not a formal term for a K, so if you're telling them that, it's probably only confusing the issue when they go into their system. Yes, parts houses kinda suck when you know what you want - but they seem to not know it even after you explain it. That's why I use rockauto in most cases.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:37 PM   #3
1976gmc20
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montana
Posts: 1,846
Re: 77 Scottsdale 4x4

Yeah, I never heard of a "heavy half" 4x4. I had a 1973 K/20 and a 1980 K/10. Way different front hub, but if the lock ring is working right and installed correctly the nuts shouldn't loosen except for bearing wear.

GM did do some tricks to bump the GVWs up to something like 6050 or 6100 pounds just to get around the catalytic converter mandate for a while.
__________________
Current/past Chevy/GMC trucks:
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10
1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20
1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10
1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban
2016 Chevy K2500 HD
1976gmc20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:41 PM   #4
jocko
Senior Member
 
jocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burleson, TX
Posts: 16,688
Re: 77 Scottsdale 4x4

Also, might want to check out Hatzie's manual links, they are extremely helpful - go to this link, scroll down to "Axles & Steering" section and you'll find links to several specific parts manuals, exploded parts pics, etc that Hatzie has kindly provided.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
Dleslie212
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Scottsdale Arizona
Posts: 57
Re: 77 Scottsdale 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSpaz View Post
I have had this truck for over 40 years and am close to finishing the 67c10.

I figured I would start looking for front end parts because I always had issues with the front left hub bearing nuts backing off. Still full time 4 wheel btw. It's been sitting and going to heck for 20 of those years.

I know what this truck is. It's what we called a heavy half way back then. The front end parts are bigger than standard 1/2 ton. I'm running into parts people who continue to sell me the wrong stuff and argue with me about it. I took a complete hub down there last time to show them. They were lost and pretty much threw their arms up in the air.

So is there a new name these are called now so I don't have to deal with this anymore when looking for parts?

I just got done completely rebuilding the hub and rotor assembly on my 77 K10... I donít know what the difference would be between yours and mine, but will help in any way I can. I donít see how those nuts could back off if the nuts are both torqued properly, and the washer with the little nipple is aligned with the innermost nut correctly?
Dleslie212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #6
Nachos82
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 164
Re: 77 Scottsdale 4x4

Maybe he means just the outer nut is backing off? Pretty sure one side of mine was like that, where the outer nut was loose, but the other side outer nut was still tight.

It has been a couple years since I swapped out my locking hubs for new ones, but memory says the locking ring (with the nipple) has a keyway to slip on the spindle, so not sure it is technically possible for the inner nut to move at all. I guess if the outer nut backs off so much to allow the locking ring to then bounce out, it could actually be a thing, but that doesn't seem like a normal happening.

Oddly enough my truck also has a dana44 from a 77 year truck or blazer. I was doing a frontend refresh and I ran into an issue where the new calipers I bought wouldn't fit down on the new rotors I got (sadly found it out after they were painted up and bolted in). Maybe this rotor thickness and different caliper setup is the normal and heavy difference?
Nachos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:57 PM   #7
1976gmc20
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montana
Posts: 1,846
Re: 77 Scottsdale 4x4

I've seen them be detectably loose due to dry or worn bearings but not the nuts backing off.
__________________
Current/past Chevy/GMC trucks:
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10
1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20
1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10
1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban
2016 Chevy K2500 HD
1976gmc20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:15 PM   #8
Dleslie212
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Scottsdale Arizona
Posts: 57
Re: 77 Scottsdale 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachos82 View Post
Maybe he means just the outer nut is backing off? Pretty sure one side of mine was like that, where the outer nut was loose, but the other side outer nut was still tight.

It has been a couple years since I swapped out my locking hubs for new ones, but memory says the locking ring (with the nipple) has a keyway to slip on the spindle, so not sure it is technically possible for the inner nut to move at all. I guess if the outer nut backs off so much to allow the locking ring to then bounce out, it could actually be a thing, but that doesn't seem like a normal happening.

Oddly enough my truck also has a dana44 from a 77 year truck or blazer. I was doing a frontend refresh and I ran into an issue where the new calipers I bought wouldn't fit down on the new rotors I got (sadly found it out after they were painted up and bolted in). Maybe this rotor thickness and different caliper setup is the normal and heavy difference?
If I remember right, that outer nut is supposed to be torqued to 90. I donít see that backing off but Iím not an expert by any means
Dleslie212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #9
ImNoSpaz
Registered User
 
ImNoSpaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sparks, Nevada
Posts: 102
Re: 77 Scottsdale 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Is it a K10 or a K20? Got a SPID picture? Heavy half is not a formal term for a K, so if you're telling them that, it's probably only confusing the issue when they go into their system. Yes, parts houses kinda suck when you know what you want - but they seem to not know it even after you explain it. That's why I use rockauto in most cases.
Heavy Half was a term used many years ago. It's a K10 and I assure you standard same year 4x spindles are smaller.
Attached Images
  
ImNoSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:45 PM   #10
jocko
Senior Member
 
jocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burleson, TX
Posts: 16,688
Re: 77 Scottsdale 4x4

I understand it was used many years ago - where I grew up it applied to a C10 (only) with F44 suspension. Anyway, it was a slang term that many used differently - my point being it's never going to help the 18 y/o behind the counter find what you're looking for.

In the references I'm digging thru to help, I can only find reference to a single GVWR and GAWR available in 76 on a K10 (sorry but I don't have a 77 data book) - but it does match your GVWR sticker of 6200/3520. I see no optional axles listed unfortunately. Interestingly, the VIK for both 76 and 77 also list only a single K10 front axle, no options - but they list 3600 lb axles as the standard... I don't rely on VIKs very much for this type of data though. Maybe someone on here has a 77 data book they could check for you to see if there was more than the standard axle listed?? Having said all that, the 6200 GVWR and 3520 GAWR is listed as the standard and only front axle on a 76 K10. I took a stab at RockAuto and only saw one axle listed there as well - and if RockAuto doesn't list it - a kid behind the counter will never find it I'm afraid. Sorry, I realize this isn't a lot of help.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:58 PM   #11
ImNoSpaz
Registered User
 
ImNoSpaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sparks, Nevada
Posts: 102
Re: 77 Scottsdale 4x4

No problem and your help is much appreciated. My dad found another complete l/r spindle set when this happened, so I'll pull a hub an get the bearing numbers and see what comes up. I just have to dig to find them. I'm starting to see the positives in his hoarding problem and why!
ImNoSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com