The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1973-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2002, 01:17 AM   #1
littlebubba

Trans crossmember 73-up needed!

Looking for a 2WD trans crossmember that has a hump on both sides to clear exhaust, for dual exhaust application, without cat converter. Possibly outta a pickup or Suburban, some 1/2 tons, and 3/4 tons used them, even though they had single pipe exhaust. Will pay shipping.
littlebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 05:46 AM   #2
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

keep in mind cats were in 75-up, anything 73-75 1/2 or 3/4 with same tranny as you got should have what you are looking for under it, possibly 3/4 ton in 76-up if were emissioin exempt due to GVW being higher, i noticed that every 75-up ive ever had has never had a cat on it, ive had 81 3/4 ton 4 speed, 78 big10 th350, 78 silverado C10 th350, 76 custom deluxe C20 454/th350,
79 something, forgot what it was, 77 GMC sierra grande C1500 th350 3.40, '85 C20 burb th400 A.I.R, and etc, etc., none with cat on them.

then vans too, but one of the 79 vans i had had cat converter info on the sunvisor, so,,,, but no cat on it,,

Last edited by Fast68Chevy; 06-18-2002 at 05:53 AM.
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 07:49 AM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Check under a 1 ton pickup. I've seen the two hump crossmember on them. I'm looking for one too. Locally I can buy one for $40.00.
Old 06-19-2002, 12:05 AM   #4
littlebubba

Thanks for the info/ still need one

Thanks for the info guys! The reason I remember the double hump, I had a 3/4 ton P.U. with dual exhaust and the crossmember will work in a 1/2 ton. I didn't know a van used the same thing though. I knew some Suburbans did. And you are right on the emissions exemption (cat converters), I don't remember the cutoff point, but do remember it having something to do with GVW, and the 3/4 and 1 tons didn't have to have a converter, and were equipted with the double hump crossmember.
Most everything here in good old rustbelt Michigan, that old has been crushed or is long gone. So if anyone has one for sale or can hook me up with one I'd appreciate it. I had one tucked away, but can't find it now. I hate when that happens!
Old 08-14-2002, 11:33 PM   #5
littlebubba

Trans crossmember

gchemist: is that the best price you can find that crossmember for? Are you sure it is double hump design and 2WD? I might be able to go $30, if it is the right one I'm looking for, $40 if that includes shipping.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:01 AM   #6
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

littlebuba,

I'm sure they are $40.00. I've asked a local boneyard where I bought my 12 bolt rearend. Last time I was out there 4 weeks ago he had two just laying around. I'm pretty sure he still has them. I didn't buy it because I went looking for a tailgate. It will be a while before I buy one because my engine project it not moving so fast. I'm going out there this weekend to look for a front suspension. I damaged a lower a-arm on the road. Truck too low. I can take a pic of one if you want to verify. The ones he has came out of 1 ton dually and a tow truck.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:15 AM   #7
littlebubba

Crossmember pics

gchemist: send me a couple pics of the crossmember to make sure its the right one. I think it should be 3 pieces, 2 frame supports and the long crossmember itself. If your buying some other stuff, and bought from them in the past, maybe they can cut you a deal on it pricewise. I know the places I deal with treat me pretty fair because they know I'll come back if they do. I try and stay away from the ones that don't want to deal with you and think they have "gold" or the only game in town or something you can't find anywhere else. WRONG- I walk away and keep looking. I'll be standing by waiting.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:51 AM   #8
littlebubba

Any luck on finding crossmember?

Gchemist; standing by like I said on the crossmember, any luck finding it?
Old 08-30-2002, 01:38 PM   #9
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

littlebubba,
Hey I went out there the other day and forgot to ask. I'm going back out on the 7th to get my suspension. $80 for a full suspension minus the coils and spindals. I'm installing 1.5 coils with my 2.5 spindals.
Send me an e-mail with your phone number. I'll call him before I go out and ask for the other two brackets that go along with the crossmember. If you prefer pics first just let me know so I can take my camera. Since I'm buying the suspension he may cut me a deal on the crossmember. I'l tell him its for me. He cuts me better deals since I'm a repeat customer. Shipping will from Austin, TX zip 78741.

This time I'll turn on the e-mail notification so I know someone is posting on this thread.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:25 PM   #10
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

1 ton frames are about an inch taller rails than 1/2 and 3/4 ton frames

in 67-72 GM made spacer to fit under the member in the 1 ton frames, probably same deal in 73-up i bet. i have this one dual crossmember here that i could sell, but like you said these trucks are all also about all gone and this truck was a score to me, cuz hardly any are left like this, so,,

vans have a totally different type of chassis and burbs have same chassis frame rails height width so xmember from one would work on pickup/blazer

good luck

Last edited by Fast68Chevy; 08-30-2002 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2002, 02:58 AM   #11
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

http://groups.msn.com/fastest68/some...to&PhotoID=107

Last edited by Fast68Chevy; 08-31-2002 at 03:00 AM.