The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2023, 09:51 PM   #1
pmpski_1

Airbag options for 71 C20

My stalled project has been sitting in my garage for 15 odd years, so I'm not up on all the latest options for lowering my 71 C20. I'm thinking about getting back into it instead of selling it off, but I think I want to do something kind of off the wall.

I'm thinking about putting a flat bed and an airbag suspension on it. Obviously I could do a C10 suspension swap and go that route, but I'm wondering if there are good lowering/airbag options for the C20. Seems like that may be a bit more straightforward. I don't plan on using it for heavy hauling or anything like that, I'm just working with what I have.

Who are the go to companies for these types of kits nowadays?
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 09:13 AM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Airbag options for 71 C20

Same as a C10, but there are no bolt on options.

Your going to have to cup or plate your arms, amd use C30 drop spindles. If you plan on running low. Pan cake the crossing for better ground clearance. You can do 1.5" with a tie rod flip, or up to 2.5" with a drop tie rod kit.

I suggest using a HD 4 link since flat beds can get chonky.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:29 AM   #3
pmpski_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post

I suggest using a HD 4 link since flat beds can get chonky.
I started watching youtube videos last night to educate myself on what I'm really getting into and I think the 4 link thing is above my comfort/skill level.

As much as I'd like to, I don't think the "laying frame" thing is in the cards here. I think that would take too big of a notch in the rear frame for me, so a flatbed would end up looking strange because of the height to clear the notch unless I got into something super custom.

Right now the plan is to build my own flatbed, keep it super simple and more period correct, so it won't be too heavy.

But I still want to do airbags, I'm just not getting my sights set on a street scraper.
Old 08-08-2023, 05:20 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpski_1 View Post
I started watching youtube videos last night to educate myself on what I'm really getting into and I think the 4 link thing is above my comfort/skill level.

As much as I'd like to, I don't think the "laying frame" thing is in the cards here. I think that would take too big of a notch in the rear frame for me, so a flatbed would end up looking strange because of the height to clear the notch unless I got into something super custom.

Right now the plan is to build my own flatbed, keep it super simple and more period correct, so it won't be too heavy.

But I still want to do airbags, I'm just not getting my sights set on a street scraper.
Just like a pre-73 C10, the C20's can have leafs or truck arms out back. Which set-up do you have?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 10:55 PM   #5
pmpski_1

HD leafs. It's a Custom Camper.
Old 08-09-2023, 10:01 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
HD leafs. It's a Custom Camper.
You could remove some leafs or source a lighter duty C10 sring pack & utilize an Air Over Leaf set-up for height adjustment. That would be the easiest way w/the current set-up. Beyond that, a HD 4-bar would get things done but be more work.

Front is the basic cup/plate/bag set-up as there's no significant difference between the set-up of a C20 vs a C10 as far as swapping to air-ride.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-09-2023, 10:27 AM   #7
pmpski_1

Thank you! The 4 link isn't in the cards right now, just beyond my capabilities at the moment.

Do you have suggestions on some companies that provide quality products, but importantly, good customer service? I've seen quite a few out there, but as with other hobbies I have, there are some that are better than others when it comes down to it.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:54 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Thank you! The 4 link isn't in the cards right now, just beyond my capabilities at the moment.

Do you have suggestions on some companies that provide quality products, but importantly, good customer service? I've seen quite a few out there, but as with other hobbies I have, there are some that are better than others when it comes down to it.
https://azproperformance.com/

https://switchsuspension.com/

https://ridetech.com/
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-10-2023, 11:02 AM   #9
pmpski_1

Thanks man, appreciate the links. I came across SwitchSuspension in my searches, but I'll have to look closer at the others.

Seems to be a lot of these types of companies in AZ.