The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Metalaroundstone

factory power steering bracket and ram

The PO of my 1966 Fleetside added an old style power steering assembly (the kind with the control valve and ram cylinder). I decided to rebuild it, and that went fairly well except for two things.

First of all I noticed that the ram was attached to a home-made bracket that consisted of a short piece of 2" angle iron bolted to the underside of the frame. I am now searching for a factory original bracket, which looks like the one below. Does anybody know where I could get one of these? Does anyone, by chance, have one laying around?

Second, one of the ports on the ram cylinder was cross treaded (I might be to blame), so I bought a 7/16-24 tap and rethreaded the port. However, I don't think I got it quite straight and the inverted flare connection leaks no matter how tightly I turn the nut. I pulled the tiny seat inside the port and removed the groves, but this didn't help. Any ideas? If worse comes to worse, I guess I will have to replace the whole ram. Anyone have any luck finding a suitable replacement for a decent price?

Thanks for any help,
Robert
Attached Images

Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
earl84

Re: factory power steering bracket and ram

Robert, my old truck had this on it as well, but it did not work when i bought the truck. I am not going to fix this system. I don't recall seeing this bracket on mine, but will look when I get back home, which won't be for a few days. If it's still on there, you can have it for the cost of packing and shipping. Don't hold your breath, though, because I don't think I have the bracket.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
padresag

you may want to contact this fellow about your fitting problem, he has more than likely run across it before. he is also in forney
http://www.chevyps.com/
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
1963c-10

I would think a replacement ram would be easier to find than the bracket. Ill PM you a number for a guy who may also be able to help. He finds lots of oem parts for me.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
earl84

Ron, thanks but I was trying to help out Robert. I don't have an issue with my truck. Well, I have lots of issues with my truck , but this thread is about Robert's issue.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
earl84

Ron, thanks but I was trying to help out Robert. I don't have an issue with my truck. Well, I have lots of issues with my truck , but this thread is about Robert's issue.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Budman56

this link below is what I was able to find, and I seem to remember that auto zone carried / special order the rams and they were cheaper there.

http://www.carsteering.com/steeringm..._Cylinder.html

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl84 View Post
and that is who the message was for. i just said that the fellow was also in forney
ron
Old 10-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl84 View Post
Robert, my old truck had this on it as well, but it did not work when i bought the truck. I am not going to fix this system. I don't recall seeing this bracket on mine, but will look when I get back home, which won't be for a few days. If it's still on there, you can have it for the cost of packing and shipping. Don't hold your breath, though, because I don't think I have the bracket.
Thanks earl84, I won't hold my breath, but I will keep my fingers crossed.
Robert
Old 10-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
1963c-10

The rams look like they can be rebuilt. I have a good 3d diagram from 63 on all the parts and how to disassemble. Doesn't look like it'd be too bad. I can load it for you Saturday night if interested. Im away in VA until then.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalaroundstone View Post
The PO of my 1966 Fleetside added an old style power steering assembly (the kind with the control valve and ram cylinder). I decided to rebuild it, and that went fairly well except for two things.

First of all I noticed that the ram was attached to a home-made bracket that consisted of a short piece of 2" angle iron bolted to the underside of the frame. I am now searching for a factory original bracket, which looks like the one below. Does anybody know where I could get one of these? Does anyone, by chance, have one laying around?

Second, one of the ports on the ram cylinder was cross treaded (I might be to blame), so I bought a 7/16-24 tap and rethreaded the port. However, I don't think I got it quite straight and the inverted flare connection leaks no matter how tightly I turn the nut. I pulled the tiny seat inside the port and removed the groves, but this didn't help. Any ideas? If worse comes to worse, I guess I will have to replace the whole ram. Anyone have any luck finding a suitable replacement for a decent price?

Thanks for any help,
Robert

I think I may have the bracket you need. I had this same stock setup on my '65 but, removed it and replaced with the later model that uses the steering box for the hydrolics. If you can't find one let me know and I'll make sure I have it. If so, I'll give it to you for nothing...you just pay the shipping...let me know.
P.S. I'll look tonite and let you know for sure if I have it.

Last edited by '65 chevy lover; 10-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
The rams look like they can be rebuilt. I have a good 3d diagram from 63 on all the parts and how to disassemble. Doesn't look like it'd be too bad. I can load it for you Saturday night if interested. Im away in VA until then.
You are correct and, the rams are very simple to rebuild. I rebuilt mine in about 1/2 hour. Unfortunately, my problem is a cross threaded hydraulic hose outlet. I have re-threaded it, but I think it is a bit out of alignment, which has resulted in a poor connection with the inverted flare. If I can't get this solved, I am going to have to get another ram. Which, unfortunately means more money. Thanks for your reply.
Robert
Old 10-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover View Post
I think I may have the bracket you need. I had this same stock setup on my '65 but, removed it and replaced with the later model that uses the steering box for the hydrolics. If you can't find one let me know and I'll make sure I have it. If so, I'll give it to you for nothing...you just pay the shipping...let me know.
P.S. I'll look tonite and let you know for sure if I have it.
I am still looking for the bracket. I really appreciate your looking for the bracket. You wouldn't also have the old ram cylinder as well?
Robert
Old 10-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
padresag

Quote:
I am still looking for the bracket. I really appreciate your looking for the bracket. You wouldn't also have the old ram cylinder as well?
Robert
that was why I gave you this link before http://www.chevyps.com/ as he rebuilds them and sells new ones, he may have an old one(part) kicking around that he may sell you or are you waiting until you find one for nothing
ron
Old 10-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #15
earl84

Robert, good news and bad news. I have the bracket and the ram. The ram itself is probably no good but maybe you can work with it??? But I only looked very briefly and it looks like it is mounted using the same bolts as the steering gearbox. This is not going to be as easy as I had hoped. How close are you to needing this? It is going to take several days to a week or more before I can get this done. I say this without looking super closely at it and not knowing if there are going to be other things that may be affected by taking this off, and without knowing what a pain it might be or if I can get everything apart. I have no torch so the bolts have to cooperate because it looks like it's kinda tight up in there.

It was rainy today so maybe tomorrow I can get a better look at it.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Robert

Pretty sure I have the ram as well...I've been out of town...will look for bracket tonite and let you know ASAP.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Pretty sure I have the ram as well...I've been out of town...will look for bracket tonite and let you know ASAP.

I do have the bracket as well as the ram. If you want the stuff I'll give it to you for free. All I ask is you pay shipping and $20.00 handling fee. If you want it just send me a p-mail with your addy to calulate shipping.
Attached Images

Last edited by '65 chevy lover; 10-09-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
I do have the bracket as well as the ram. If you want the stuff I'll give it to you for free. All I ask is you pay shipping and $20.00 handling fee. If you want it just send me a p-mail with your addy to calulate shipping.
Fantastic! I have sent you a PM with the info. If you are not going to use any of this stuff, I would really like the control valve in addition to the bracket and cylinder. The control valve just screws on to the end of the cross member.

Thanks again 65 Chevy Lover