The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
HunterRotten

Best aftermarket/rebuilt manual tilt steering column? Also, radiator support patches?

My truck when I bought it had the 3 speed on the steering column and it came out pretty quick, replaced with a NV3500.. and soon to be a tremec TKO. Since I'm so far into the rebuilding of my truck with my dad, I don't really want to put that 3 speed column back in there. Not only that but I would really like to spend less than $300, thanks. Tilt isn't necessary but just something I wouldn't mind having.

The other thing I'm looking for is a replacement radiator support or patch, the truck is a early 1978. The battery destroyed the bottom piece of my radiator support, the rest of the thing is in excellent shape. I'd hate to replace it, are there any patches for the 73-87s?
HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
MikeB

Re: Best aftermarket/rebuilt manual tilt steering column? Also, radiator support patc

GM P/N 7812754 is a "blank" (bowl, floor shift) that fits in place of a 3-speed column "shift bowl". That way it looks like a floor shift column. Unfortunately, that P/N fits only 81-83 trucks, but there may be a P/N available for a 73-80.

http://allworldautomotive.com/view_7...oto_55291.html

Also, I suggest you call Wayne at GM Tilt Steering Columns. I bought a rebuilt tilt/auto column from him and really like it. He's been rebuilding columns for many years, and will know what's available.

http://www.gmtiltsteeringcolumn.com/contactus.html

Whatever you do, DON'T buy an imported column with tilt. Some of the tilt mechanisms are downright dangerous! Ididit and Flaming River are USA-made and the only way to go, IMO.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:38 AM   #3
Super_Dave

Re: Best aftermarket/rebuilt manual tilt steering column? Also, radiator support patc

I just replaced my core support. Ordered a new one from LMC. When it arrived, it wasn't the right one... the center braces with the angled part half way up for mounting the grill, wasn't there... just straight braces. No holes for the right and left grill supports next to the headlights.

So, being up against very tight time constraints and a sandblaster and powdercoater waiting for all the engine bay sheetmetal, I looked closely at the corner profiles of the "new" replacement. Careful measurements indicated that it should work to cut the corner off the new one and weld it to the OEM. Can't tell after powdercoating. Ended up with a $150 patch because I couldn't find one online.

Some enterprising individual capable of bending the sheetmetal, can make some coin bending patches.

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote