The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2020, 01:46 AM   #1
619atv

Stuttering Stanley

Well here he is in all his glory.....
I think im going to name it Stuttering Stanley....
I picked it up in Stanley Va from a real nice guy who had a ton of old cool vehicles.....he said hes built his share of 350s and really wasnt worried about a 4wd so i got it at a decent price.....
I got it home and noticed the points had been robbed so naturally i dropped in an hei just to make me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing i wouldnt be chasing a spark issue.....
got it to fire up and idle but was stuttering so bad when dropped into gear the first thing my dad said was oh boy we got stuttering Stanley gonna give us a challenge and it stuck.....
a carb rebuild (quadrajet) and about 3hrs of chasing vacuum lines and we were still missing pretty good so it was time to pull the valve covers and sure enough one rocker was barely "rocking"........cam time.....smh
after pulling the cam i see two lobes are completely wiped......damn
ordered a set from summit and it showed up yesterday (sum-1103).....
got lifters in it tonight and tomorrow we put the rest back together.....
wish me luck and ill update sometime this weekend
Attached Images

619atv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #2
BLT-NT-BOT

Re: Stuttering Stanley

Good Luck with the build.
BLT-NT-BOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
619atv

a couple of pics from over the weekend.....
didnt grab a pic of the cam going in but did get the nice double roller chain set..
and look at all the carbon from behind the heat shield on the underside of the intake....alot of time with a pic screwdriver and hammer just to find out later the rivets arent that bad to take off and replace.....
but its back together and rumbling pretty good.....starts pretty easy and sounds good too.....didnt have a chance to drive it only break in the cam. I had a small leak on the thermostat housing and didnt wanna keep spitting coolant.....
gonna take it out one night this week then we will see how t runs....
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2020, 08:41 PM   #4
geezer#99

Did Stanley get a dedicated 12v supply for his new hei?

Only 2 wiped lobes!
Odds aren’t good the new cam along with the rest of the bearings will only make it 6 months.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:13 PM   #5
619atv

No i didnt change any wiring.....should I?.....i found the switched coil wire and went with it....
Im hoping it last through the winter here....my silverado is down and i need a 4wd this winter....then i guess when it gives up ill pull the motor and go through the whole thing...
Guess ill be back in the 2wd if (or when) that happens......gonna miss the power steering tho lol.....
Old 10-26-2020, 10:50 PM   #6
geezer#99

You need to bypass the resistor wire.
Use a 12v wire from an unfused port on the fuse block.
Wiped cams put all that fine metal throughout the motor. Especially in the bearings.

Bunch of info here on hei wiring.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=748806

Last edited by geezer#99; 10-27-2020 at 08:43 AM.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:55 PM   #7
619atv

Thanks for the info Geezer.....i was planning on totally redoing the wiring and alt setup soon....alt is whining a bit at high rpms but still charging.....you know that means it aint long until failure......on my 2wd i went with a one wire alt and its been great for at least 2yrs now......
any thoughts on upgrading the wire system?
Old 10-28-2020, 01:45 AM   #8
gmc684x4

M&h and American auto wire makes good upgrade factory style harness for 67 72 trucks they both have engine harness which can include hei update wiring built in the headlight harness can include upgrade to Si style altenator

I am taking it a step newer on the altenator to cs130 and cs144 altenators which give more power output at idle
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:03 AM   #9
gmc684x4

Thinking about all that carbon build up are all the valves free floating and not sticking ?

I had a 70 short box 4x4 that had lots of carbon buildup sticking two valves i had to replace 2 broken rockers was after the second rocker broke i realized the issue nothing a hammer could not fix on the side of the highway tapping the valves until they moved freely
Old 10-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #10
619atv

Valves all acted pretty good....without pulling the head i paid close attention for any binding or snapping shut and everything behaved pretty good as far as i could tell.....i prob rotated the engine 50 times while i was messing with it and i was happy on how it all looked......
99% of the carbon was on the underside of the heat shield....im guessing the three holes got clogged at 1 point in time and it was downhill from there....
there was a bit in one of the intake "chutes? channels?" but i simply put a rag behind the carbon and luckily it all came out in 1 piece.....like a tiny piece of coal.....
eventually this whole motor and trans will be pulled and completely gone over but for right now i just want to make sure all my systems work (electrical brake 4wd trans ect..)....ill feel alot better knowing im building a complete engine for something i can actullly drive.....cam was $130 and after gaskets im prob about $300 in on the whole repair (including new timing gear set).....before i start forking out money to the machine shop i need that tiny piece of mind
Old 10-29-2020, 12:01 AM   #11
gmc684x4

Yes nicer to build an engine with knowing it ran good to begin with
My two current trucks are getting roller cam blocks
I would like an ls engine the only onles i seen locally have been priced high with parts missing

I got my m&h harnes from brothers there back orders suck for my next harness i will order either direct from them or anouther seller
Old 10-31-2020, 05:22 PM   #12
619atv

so i took it up the road today and all seemed pretty good.....holding good oil pressure brakes work well no noise and the throttle response is pretty crisp....
so now i guess its time to address the cancer......smh....
after removing the seat and a good air hosing this is what im left with......any thoughts?
i wonder how long it takes a hell to wear through sheet metal....the hole by the throttle is a perfect "seat" for your heel rotfl.....
i also snapped a pic of the tag in the glovebox to show the options....that is so cool this is still intact after almso 50yrs......
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #13
cornerstone

It's hard to see how much of the rust is just on the surface, but It's a personal choice for you to decide how nice you want it to be. I went for patching the areas that had holes all the way through and not replacing the entire floor. From what I've seen replacing the entire floor doesn't appear all that hard, as long as you are ok with full cab removal. That will give you the best result for sure... but again, personal choice.

I see your spid shows it came with a front tow hook, is it still there?

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #14
May70

If you do a full floor pan, don't buy the high hump. Buy the standard floor and just cut the hump out of it. You can reuse your current hump and bolt it on the regular pan.

High hump floorplan inner rockers are way off. My build thread shows details.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #15
619atv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
It's hard to see how much of the rust is just on the surface, but It's a personal choice for you to decide how nice you want it to be. I went for patching the areas that had holes all the way through and not replacing the entire floor. From what I've seen replacing the entire floor doesn't appear all that hard, as long as you are ok with full cab removal. That will give you the best result for sure... but again, personal choice.

I see your spid shows it came with a front tow hook, is it still there?
alot of the rust is minor....im just not ready for a full cab off yet your right thats probably gonna be the deciding factor.....im not bad with a welder i have both a stick and wirefeed (cheap gassless) so i figure ill do a bit of "patching" and see how it makes me feel when im done with it.....i have a parts truck out in the field and i looked at the floor today.....i could probably break out the diegrinder and get what i need from it...but man thats alot of grinder time and i hate that crap with a passion.....only takes a few well placed sparks and my dreads will go up like toilet tissue ....i will probably order the new rockers just because they are the worst and almost completey gone......and nope the hook is gone lol.....funny i looked as soon as i read it and noticed it was gone and never thought twice about it but now that you mentioned it that was a "factory option" huh?
Old 11-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #16
619atv

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
If you do a full floor pan, don't buy the high hump. Buy the standard floor and just cut the hump out of it. You can reuse your current hump and bolt it on the regular pan.

High hump floorplan inner rockers are way off. My build thread shows details.
you know that was a question i was gonna ask......while im prob gonna skip the whole floor swap i am curious to know how you determine high "hump" or low "hump"?
i was looking at a good floor liner (prob a thick rubber) and i seen a few different options asking if it was "high hump" or low.....
is it just a matter of a shifter coming out of the floor? like all floor shift manuals and all 4wds will be high hump and 2wd auto or "3 on the tree" will be low hump?....because they have nothing coming out of the floor?
Old 11-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #17
gmc684x4

Low hump will be 3 in the tree and turbo 350 trucks
High hump are 4 speeds turbo 4 and 4x4 trucks

As for aftermarket pans most comman option is low hump which will need to be cut out for high hump applications
I picked up one of those thick mats from lmc years ago still have not installed it
Old 11-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #18
biketopia

Where in Front Royal are you OP? My brother lives in town and my cab is out there we are in the middle of doing rust repair on.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #19
619atv

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
Where in Front Royal are you OP? My brother lives in town and my cab is out there we are in the middle of doing rust repair on.
im out off 619.....
panhandle rd to be more precise......whos your brother? im 41yo and been here all my life maybe we know some of the same people
Old 11-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #20
619atv

some pics from todays progress....
so i found a set of buckets i think im gonna work up.....they actually work pretty good heres some picks.....
also hit the floorpan with a wire wheel and sprayed some primer on the parts im not gonna mess with.........
also a pic of my 2wd beside my 4wd.......and the donor truck to be used as parts
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #21
biketopia

My brother is in town, he's only been out there a few years now. He's over by Randolph Macon. What all are you looking to do to your truck now and down the road?

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #22
619atv

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
My brother is in town, he's only been out there a few years now. He's over by Randolph Macon. What all are you looking to do to your truck now and down the road?
really im gonna use it as weekend truck....
I drive a work truck all week long and it serves me well but lugging my dually with tool boxes around all week is enough....i figure this will be the truck i use to cart my 4wheeler around.....take my mower to the river lot.....take trash to the dump ect.
ive always loved this body style....like i say i got a 2wd but im more of a 4wd kinda guy.....live a bit out of town and always like to be prepared for the occasional snowstorm as well....
the wife has an suv and i do own a 2k silverado but i just love the old nostalgic feel of my c&k10....feels like getting dropped off to school by grandpa back in the day.....
im sure ill peck away at this truck and tighten it up (at the very least mechanically if not cosmetically)
im no stranger to wrenching on stuff and im sure one day (when i finally get that big garage) ill do a cab off full resto and have my retirement vehicle....for now im gonna patch it up tight and rock it until the wheels fall off.....
Old 11-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #23
619atv

so update......i patched the floor with some nice new sheet metal from the local hardware store and i think it turned out pretty good....
not the best welder but i managed to get it in there and i felt pretty good about the strength of the patched pieces........i shoulda got pics but i removed all the trash metal and left as much good metal as i could and just welded it down then cleaned up a bit with a grinder......i guess from under the truck it would look like a "picture frame" if that makes sense.....
i primered it with some light blue primer then used some sound matting i had left from another project to put under the carpet/vinyl flooring (still havnt decided yet)
.......and i also yanked the 35s from my old siverado and mounted them up....looks a bit tougher and theres a ton more room to roll around under the truck....only a bit of rubbing in the front but it got dark so ill figure how to deal with that tomorrow....
thoughts anyone? i take criticism as well as a thumbs up so let me know what yall think.....
Attached Images