The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #26
67/72junkie
Account Suspended

Re: Longhorn questions

The blue 71 in denver is a twin to my 72 .same color and almost same options.Name:  101_0106.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  101_0107.jpg
Size:  62.2 KBvery thin original paint but rust free CA truck.

Last edited by 67/72junkie; 03-21-2011 at 09:40 PM.
67/72junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #27
sameyrasmea72

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I think we may have nailed it already. Custom Camper is an equipment package. If that package is ordered "then" you can also order Custom Camper Nameplates,which are the fender badges. If not ordered the script is on the door. That's what I have seen on all the Custom Campers I've had. I think Jason's may not have the Custom Camper package at all...just a guess. The "camper somewhere" could be camper mirrors I see on it,which could be ordered without the Custom Camper package. I can't say for sure if the camper wiring was only available once the Custom Camper package was spec'd or also was available w/o. Neither the mirrors or wiring are part of the package. I'm sure on the mirrors being available on anything,even Blazers. I'll have to check on the wiring.
Sounds logical. I will have to check for sure, but If I remember our truck has no package. I am not sure how the mirrors are listed, but I think our truck only has "Camper Wiring".

So for those of us who don't know (I am a C-10 person myself) what is included in a Custom camper package and how is that different than camper wiring?????? Thanks..............Jason
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #28
67/72junkie
Account Suspended

Name:  101_0107.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  107.8 KB

Name:  101_0108.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  101_0109.jpg
Size:  104.7 KB

Name:  101_0110.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  101_0112.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  94.6 KBNot sure on what comes with custom camper equipment.but the first 4 spids are parked in my front yard and the last 1 is the spid off a truck I parted and all are custom camper equiped.Dang,I'm in NC and these are CA trucks.I guess you can tell I got tired of working on rusty NC trucks found me some without.

Last edited by 67/72junkie; 03-21-2011 at 10:32 PM.
67/72junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

I just checked my '71 dealer data book and,as Andy said,the camper wiring can be ordered regardless of whether the Custom Camper one was. In fact,the camper wiring is listed as an option on C/10s and which Custom Camper was not even offered on in 71/72.
But...another thing I noticed is the Custom Camper option is actually listed as "Custom Camper Nameplate"(Z81) in the book. There is no other option listed. That is the Z81 option. So,my theory is bunk. I just check the SPID of a truck I thought listed the name plate and it only had "Special Camper"(Z81). That truck was a Cheyenne with only the Custom Camper/20 emblems.
The dealer data book lists The Custom Camper Nameplate as a N/C option. In other words,it's just a choice in emblem...with other options required for it to be allowed. Those options,which would be priced as they were also available individually on any truck,were...
Minimum tire:7.50-16/D tube-type or 8.75-16.5/D tubeless
C20 models only...
With standard suspension. Available only when front stabilizer,HD rear shock absorbers and HD rear springs or aux. rear springs are ordered.........................N.C.
With optional rear leaf suspension. Available only when front stabilizer,HD front shock absorbers and HD rear springs are ordered......................................N.C.
K/20 models only. Available only when HD rear springs and HD rearshock absorbers are ordered...................................................................................N.C.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Custom Camper brochure lists these options as well as "Minimum engine required for satisfactory performance is the 350 V8, for optimum camper truck performance,the 400 V8 is recommended". They don't "require" this,but suggest it. There is a page of options listed as "More Chevy options of special interest for campers"...
Engines: 350 and 400
Camper body wiring harness
Auxiliary battery
Front stabilizer bar (?)
Camper-style mirrors
Auxiliary left and right side..HEY! I never noticed that!! RPO NL2(left) and PN 994116-7
Leaf-type rear springs
Heavy duty shocks
Equalizing hitch platform (dealer installed accessory)
Sliding rear window
Heavy duty generators

The back page listes "Other popular comfort and convenience options...
HD radiator
HD springs
Flotation-type tires
Tool stowage box
Comfortilt
Power steering
Turbo hydramatic trans
Chrome bumpers
Slide-out spare tire carrier (dealer)
Radio
Rear axles
Bucket seats
HD battery
All-weather a/c

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #30
crzo68

Hey all...Jason here...
Still kinda new here...So my question is...i am the 2nd owner of a 1972 gmc sierra 3500 (longhorn) its got a sierra grande package as stated on the SPID the special camper rear bumper,16x5 rear rims and so on... but i thought GMC badged these "Custom Camper"(s) on the doors under the vent windows? which i dont have ...Just the Sierra badges located on rear of bed,the GMC 3500 sierra badges on each fender the GMC on hood and tail ... but cust. camper???
Could I find out If mine came with these badges or the history of this particular truck in question.
Sorry for sounding stupid.
crzo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #31
SS Tim

No problem its a good question. The key though I think is going to be if you have RPO code Z81 "custom camper" or "special camper". The exact verbage changed a lot between plants. What we are looking for is the code number. It may be alone like Z81 or xZ81xx. If you would rather we will be happy to look at the SPID if you post a picture. Often a left half and a right half shots work best depending on your camera. Also, Welcome To The Board! We like pictures here so a shot of your truck is also welcome.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #32
Ozark Tim

Hmmmmm? Cant comment on the 67-70 trucks.
My 72 Cheyenne Super/20 with Custom Camper has fender badges designating the trim level and the Custom Camper nameplates on the doors.
I think alot of folks are surprised that Custom Camper was a no cost nameplate that was offered if the purchaser was buying certain options on his C or K 20/30. This minimum required options (To get the free nameplate) differed too if you were purchasing the standard coil suspension or the optional leafs (I always though Custom Campers were leaf spring trucks only-wrong!). Really from what my old dealer spec book says. Since the original purchaser of my truck opted for leaf spring option, he/she then only had to order front stabilizer, H.D. front shocks and the minimum required tire size and in doing so he/she automatically got the Custom Camper nameplates (on the doors) in addition to the trim level selected, in this case Cheyenne Super (on the fenders).
Attached Images

Ozark Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #33
ricks71pu

CRZO, i too have a 71 GMC 3500 S.Grande Longhorn. 3500 badges, S.Grande on bed sides, and "Custom" on the doors, not "Custom Camper"
Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #34
crzo68

Thanks Guys!!! As soon as i figure out the bluetooth on the phone...i'll upload pics.
jason
72 gmc sierra 3500 (longhorn) 402
70 gmc 1500 longbed 350
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #35
John H.

Here is the build sheet on a 72 Cheyenne Super Longhorn 30 Custom Camper. Nicely optioned! It was badged as a Cheyyene 30 with the Custom Camper on the doors.

Check out the job sequence number in upper left corner. This is the number routinely found on the frame and cab firewall.

Name:  Cheyenne Super Longhorn 30 Build Sheet.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  64.4 KB
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #36
jocko

I think the crux of the discussion is being missed here - folks are trying to decipher if/when you got the upper level trim badges on the truck as opposed to the custom camper nameplate.
The real issue is the year of the truck.

On a 71, if you ordered the Z81 option (camper nameplate, or special camper - usually worded this way for a Fremont plant truck) then the "CustomCamper20" (or 30) nameplate superseded whatever your trim level callout was on the FENDER.

So, in a 71 - you will not see a Custom/Cheyenne/Cheyenne Super badge if Z81 is on the SPID - the camper nameplate replaces it on the fender. There were no door Custom Camper scripts (for Chevrolet) until 72.

So - if you ordered a 72 with Custom Camper Z81 option selected, you got the door Custom Camper script (on the door) - and you still had the trim level emblems on the fender (i.e. Custom, Cheyenne, Cheyenne Super, etc).

So, for example, if your SPID has YE9 (Cheyenne Super) and Z81 (Custom Camper) listed:
- In 71 you will have the fender "CustomCamper20" (or 30) nameplate. (no door scripts) and NO Cheyenne Super emblems anywhere.
- In 72 you will have the fender "Cheyenne 20 Super" nameplate AND the "Custom Camper" script on the door.

So, for example -
1st/2nd pics area 71 Cheynne Super Custom Camper (YE9 + Z81).
3rd/4th pics are a 72 Cheyenne Custom Camper (Z84 + Z81).
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 11-03-2012 at 01:57 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #37
crzo68

Ok heres my SPID on my 72' GMC Sierra 3500 (Longhorn) I truly hope im not insulting purist by calling the GMC 's version a longhorn...Ifso im sorry ahead of time and all the times before
Old 11-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #38
crzo68

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzo68 View Post
Ok heres my SPID on my 72' GMC Sierra 3500 (Longhorn) I truly hope im not insulting purist by calling the GMC 's version a longhorn...Ifso im sorry ahead of time and all the times before
The angle suck i was in the empty lot for the sunlight ...sorry
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #39
crzo68

Jocko...i must say those are 2 nice looking vehicles
Old 11-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #40
jocko

Thanks crzo - but only old greenie is mine, old yeller is from my "picture acrhives". Believe it or not, that yellow truck was at $11K or $12K the first time I saw it. I called about it but decided I'd rather start a little "rougher" than that gem. So, I bought the green hornet. Then, no kidding, about 2 weeks ago, some sales guy or curator or something (the yellow one is part of a large collection I believe), called me and said it was marked down to $7500. And THEN I am pretty sure I saw it on CL for $6500. Oh, the humanity.... That truck is a steal at either of those prices.

Btw, really like your red one also - would love to see some more pics whenever you get a chance. VERY nice options on that thing.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #41
Sicklajoie
The Niner

That yellow truck's been for sale for a loooong time.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #42
jocko

Yep, it has been. And other than the fact that light yellow is not one of the more everyday colors, for the life of me I can't figure out why it hasn't sold yet. I'm not sure it's advertised real aggressively, hasn't been on ebay yet. I have not looked at it in person, but I've looked at a LOTTTTA pics of it and spoken with the folks. I thought it was a good deal when it was at around $10K... 72 Cheyenne Custom Camper, big block, TH400, A/C, the list goes on.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #43
jocko

Btw, I dug this info up just in case the above pics made someone want to pursue - I have no idea if the truck is still there, but it was about 3-4 weeks ago. And I attached the remaining pics I have. I hope someone buys it. I don't know the person at all, just passing along - but sure seems like a nice truck.

Global RV Solutions
San Diego, CA
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #44
crzo68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Thanks crzo - but only old greenie is mine, old yeller is from my "picture acrhives". Believe it or not, that yellow truck was at $11K or $12K the first time I saw it. I called about it but decided I'd rather start a little "rougher" than that gem. So, I bought the green hornet. Then, no kidding, about 2 weeks ago, some sales guy or curator or something (the yellow one is part of a large collection I believe), called me and said it was marked down to $7500. And THEN I am pretty sure I saw it on CL for $6500. Oh, the humanity.... That truck is a steal at either of those prices.

Btw, really like your red one also - would love to see some more pics whenever you get a chance. VERY nice options on that thing.
thanks... i surely will post more pics.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #45
Sicklajoie
The Niner

I think they tacked some wierd mirrors on that yellow one since those pics were taken.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #46
jocko

Yep - I think you're correct - I saw one of those dime store ones on it at one point. It used to have the camper mirrors - if you look close you can see the holes are capped and painted yellow.