The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2017, 02:29 AM   #1
BigRed89

Time To Replace Rear End

Sorry for the long post in advance, but i need some advice please,

I have had this truck for 20 years, used to be my daily years ago. I just got transmission fixed and running after 4 years of sitting and blew out my 10 bolt rear end with impala posi unit, (Not a G80) I dont have much motor. a 355 SBC 440 rwhp with a 100 shot. Its mostly for burnouts and mustangs and trips to the beer store.

I have a 14 bolt 6 lug sf rear end from a 93 3/4 ton 2wd truck with G80 and 3:73 gears, I plan on changing the G80 out, am i correct in thinking this? I spoke with Dutchman axles and they can make me 5 lug axles, would this then be similar to the factory SS rear ends with 5 lug? It looks like it from the research i have done but would like some verification.

I can buy a factory 5 lug SS 14 bolt G80/3;73 rear local for $500, I dont think i would be saving anything here would I? My main concern is this thing is huge, axles are even huge. I know this would probably never break, Im just concerned that it is overkill for my application.

Axles are $370 Posi Are About $550 and disc brakes with emergency brake kits is $535. This gets me close to $1500 by the time I get it all together with parts fluids and labor. Im only thinking the disc brakes will save weight over the heavy drum brake set up.

I had a Nova that ran 7.33 in the 1/8 mile that had a good 12 bolt with posi and axles and never broke anything. It is Also cheaper to do rear disc brakes or use factory drum brakes on the 10/12 bolt.

14 Bolt, new posi, axles, use factory 3:73 gears? Replace the G80?
12 Bolt with new posi,new aftermarket axles and gear. I realize I would need to weld new leaf spring perches to use this rear end
10 Bolt with new posi,new aftermarket axles and gear
I know I can switch to 6 Lug easy but I want to stay 5 Lug
(I just Got New 5 lug Wheels)
I want to Stay GM - NO Ford Parts on my Chevy

So if your gonna spend $1000-$1500 what would you do?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.
BigRed89 is offline   Reply With Quote