The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2003, 05:56 PM   #51
MikeB

Whichever way you go, get 12-point sockets and box-end wrenches. They are much better in tight spots and you can put them on the fastener head quicker. Also, all ratchets are not created equal. In the case of Craftsman, the more you spend, the more ratchet teeth you get. This helps in tight spots where you have little room to rotate the ratchet handle. Sears also sells a "Gear-Wrench", which is a combination wrench with a ratcheting box end. They are made in Taiwan, but work very well and seem to hold up, at least for weekend hot-rodding duty.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 02:30 AM   #52
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
The only thing I dont like about 12 point sockets is that you loose torque when using an air gun. Believe me, less material in contact with the fastener means less torque to the fastener. Other than that, 12 points can come in handy. And as far as Snap On being a prestige thing, not in our shop. We buy tools that will hold up to the abuse that we give them, and Snap On seems to be one of the only companies that can hold up. Plus, when was the last time you saw a Craftsman truck rolling down the street? Alot of the reason we (mechanics) buy from Snap On, Mac and Matco is the fact that they come to us. As far as Im concerned, when the clock hits 6pm, the last thing on my mind is going to the mall to look for tools. I wanna go home and drink a cold one ( insert your own beverage of choice here) and eat dinner, go to bed and do it all over again in the morning. And dont even think about that on the weekends, those are spent down at the shop working on my trucks. I dont mean any disrespect to anyone on this board, but in my opinion, there simply is no comparison between Snap On and Craftsman. I make my living with tools, I want the very best I can buy, thats why I use Snap On, Mac and Matco. Plus, our SK rep went under. I think he pawned his truck for crack or something. By the way, he still owes me a pry bar, that bastard.
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 08:18 AM   #53
minibike

MATCO is a good comprimise between crafstman and snap on...they have different levels of tools with pricing to match.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 08:18 AM   #54
minibike

MATCO is a good comprimise between crafstman and snap on...they have different levels of tools with pricing to match.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 09:33 AM   #55
guitarman
Do it well or don't do it

I'm with Max on this issue about Snapon's waranty. It's not as good as it used to be. It seems that every time I had a problem it was a hassel or I'm told, "We (Snapon) don't cover air tool breakage after 90 days." However when I purchased that same air tool it had a lifetime waranty. When I told that to the rep he stated, "Well the policy has changed." He further stated, "We don't even make that model any longer, (laughing) How old is that thing anyway?" "You must have had that for 20 years, what do you expect it's old, don't you think you got your money's worth." I said, "I don't care if it's a 100 years old I was promised a lifetime waranty so if you don't have parts to fix it then I expect you to replace it." His answer was, "Get real!" I haven't bought another Snapon tool since and I never will and every opportunity I have I will advise people not to buy their products.

Excellent paint and body site:

http://www.autobody101.com/

Visit my Web Site

http://home.attbi.com/~agfosteriii

Last edited by guitarman; 04-17-2003 at 09:35 AM.
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 03:28 PM   #56
ChopTop

I have been out of the pro-tech loop for a few years now. When I turned wrenches there were a few specialty tools I needed that had to come off a truck. One thing I learned real quick is MAC makes a quality tool. MAC is usually significantly less expesive in many cases on the same tool compared to Snap-On. I allway's preferred MAC air ratchets, and I own MAC impacts. For the most part craftsman handwrenches can do a great job, but often a MAC or a Snapon can cut time in more than half for the same job. For the most part my tool box is filled with Craftsman tools, with the exception of leftover specialty tools from my wrenchen day's, even though it's a MAC box! If your a pro, your gonna need Pro Quality tools like MAC. If your just getting tools for around the house Craftsman works. Oh yea, has anyone else noticed how often Craftsman tools BREAK?!
Old 04-17-2003, 03:43 PM   #57
andyr354

Most of my stuff is craftsman. Their ratchets suck though and are breaking all the time on me, need to get something better. The sockets, end wrenches, and most other things are great though.
I am using the stuff for hobby and farm shop use.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:33 AM   #58
nitor
Too many projects

I agree with Mikep. The biggest thing with the Craftsman is the replacement if they break. Both are good, both can break, but getting them replaced now, when they're needed is what I go for.

'55 Chevrolet Pickup
'56 Chevrolet Belair
'04 Chevrolet Astro
'95 Chevrolet Blazer
nitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 08:46 AM   #59
Blue Beard

Been with Craftsman since the mid 60's wouldn't change..............
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 11:11 AM   #60
mikep
Used to have a truck

All craftsman hand tools are made in the USA right...wrong. I have a few metric box end wrenches that were made in Japan ? I figure when they first started making metrics they had them contracted out somewhere else. They must be late 60's produced.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:42 PM   #61
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

For the guys that buy craftsman for the ease of going to sears and getting warranty. I got an email from supply management at work the day before yesterday that said Sears will no longer be carrying craftsman tools as we know them. The company that makes them (I don't remember the name) has decided to use a different company for a distributor, and they are going to be available at work once a week from the supplier.........just a heads up that craftsman is changing.......at least according to supply managment at work anyway.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote