The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2004, 12:22 PM   #51
COBALT

Quote:
Originally posted by polevault1977
Broke EZ outs are a pain in the arss. Heat from a torch is a good thing here. Can change the temper esp on the bolt. I work in a machine shop and someone is always bringing a problem like this in. We usually have the luxuary of being able to put the part in a mill vise. I realize you don't have this option. I usually can mill through the ez out with a smaller carbide endmill. You can buy a carbide tipped drill and try to drill it out. They are fairly expensive though. They are super easy to break if you are not use to using them. Might give it a try though. Remember, slow rpm and very light pressure.

One other trick to getting broken bolts out of blind holes. Always drill the hole for the EZ out all the way through the bolt. Not just deep enough for the EZ out. Not exactly sure of all the dynamics, but it works better ever time. Old machinist showed me this one.

Danny

Oh yeah always start with a left hand drill bit if you got one!
That's why I suggested just pulling the head and taking it to a machine shop. They'd have it out in a couple of minutes, but it'll cost you, plus you have to pull the head, which is a lot of work.

The reason drilling through the whole bolt works better is that it weakens the stress the bolt is placing on the threads inside the hole. The way the bolts are made having a void in the center will literally make the bolt smaller - even by a TINY amount.

The problem with this is if the hole doesn't go all the way through. You don't want to end up drilling into the head.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:04 PM   #52
71swb4x4

The problem he has with that is that the bolt is in the block, not the head. So he would have to pull the whole engine to take it to a machine shop.
The whole drilling all of the way through the bolt idea sounds like it would help a lot if you can control how deep you are going. I have never thought of that but will have to try that the next time I break a bolt off. I hope its a long time before I have to use that idea though
Old 04-09-2004, 05:24 PM   #53
COBALT

Duh...you're right. Sorry.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 05:55 PM   #54
jef5150
Inline 69

Quote:
I've looked all over and can't find a diamond cut drill bit. I hit up all the local hardware stores and even went to Lowe's and nobodies got one and nobody knows where to get one.
i work in a machine shop, go back to the hardware store and ask for a "high-speed, titanium coated drill" !!i know they sell them at every hardware store. if you still cant find 1, i'll get 1 from work and mail it to you on monday.just pm me the size and your address. no charge!!! jeff
jef5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:52 PM   #55
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

You know Jeff I think thats the nicestest gesture i"ve ever had. But it is not necessary anymore thanks anyway. I took the truck on base tonight and tried putting welds on it and then welding a washer and then bolt to the washer. Welds kept on breaking. Finally ended up using a torch and we heated the bolt up real goood then hit it with a blast and the EZ out popped right out. then did the weld with the washer and broke the bolt loose but we couldn't get it out cause there was weld in the threads. Ended up drilling the whole bolt out. I put the old pump on to use as a guide so I wouldn't screw up the hole but sure as heck I did. It went in at a slight angle and I ended up taking out some of the inside of the blind nut. (The bottom bolt for the water pump goes straight into the water jacet but the top bolt hole does not have water to it) It was kinda cockeyed but when I put the pump on it was aligned for it, so I figured I'd just get a tap and try to tap the hole. God was laughing at me again today as I broke the tap inside the hole yet again Tools went flying everywhere as i was a little preterbed. I ended up getting the tap out with a pair of needle nose. Well to sum it all up I bolted up the water pump and fired it up and coolant came spraying out from around that top bolt i had just repaired. Shop was closing and kicked me out so I had to drive the 5 miles home like that as I didn't have the guy with the trailer anymore. Had to stop twice and let it cool down as it pretty much drained all the coolant which is a good thing only as I am draining it tomorrow to put a fricking heli coil in there. Well at least I got a good weekend of getting drunk in front of me if this works tomorrow
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:41 AM   #56
Johnny Outdoors
SOON TO BE A STEP SIDE

working in the business of fixing cars and trucks
we get over heating complaints like yours quite often
with the heat going up and the heater blowing cold air then everything is ok then it is not
usually, i say usually it is a bad head gasket
combustion is forced into the cooling system creating an air pocket
if you take it to a shop they should be able to test it pretty cheap
with a tester that sucks air out of the rad and checks for co and turns the dye blue from yellow
the test takes less than 1/2 hour usually
good luck
Old 04-10-2004, 12:36 PM   #57
WRMZ71

Johnny what do you guys do after that test? I was thinking the same thing so I took it to a shop a while back. We got a very few bubbles that started to come up which were ordinary but the mixture stayed yellow. No CO.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:11 PM   #58
Johnny Outdoors
SOON TO BE A STEP SIDE

IM SORRY TO SAY THAT WE HAVENT HAD A FAILURE THAT DIDNT TURN THE DYE BLUE EXCEPT ONE
WE HAD ONE CHRYSLER THAT BARELY CHANGED THE DYE
BUT YOU COULD HEAR THE BUBBLES IN THE HEATER CORE AS THE HEAT CAME AND WENT
WHEN WE CHANGED THE HEAD GASKETS (BECAUSE WE WERE AT OUT WITS END)WE FOUND A BAD GASKET A TINY SPLIT
JUST LUCKY I GUESS
WE ALSO HAD A CAR DO THIS BUT IT ENDED UP THAT THE IMPELLER ON THE WATERPUMP HAD ERODED AWAY IT WOULD OVERHEAT WHILE IDLEING
BUT I SEE YOU WERE WORKING ON THIS PROBLEM EARLIER
WE HAVE ALSO HAD TROUBLE WITH OLD DYE
PLACE IT NEAR THE TAIL PIPE AND IT HOULD TURN BLUE
THEN GO OUTSIDE AND SIPHON AIR THRU THE TESTER AND THE DYE SHOULD RETURN TO YELLOW
IF NOT START WITH FRESH DYE
CARQUEST UP HERE IN NY CARRIES IT PRETTY CHEAP WITH THE TESTER ALSO I BELIEVE
GOOD LUCK
Old 04-10-2004, 05:13 PM   #59
Johnny Outdoors
SOON TO BE A STEP SIDE

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU DONT CONTAMINATE THE TESTER WITH ANTIFREEZE DRAIN ENOUGH OUT WHILE THE TRUCK IS RUNNING AND HOT
THEN USE THE TESTER MAKING SURE YOU DONT SUCK GREEN STUFF IN
HOPE THIS HELPS
Old 04-10-2004, 08:44 PM   #60
WRMZ71

Thumbs down

Well to all who have been following my shananigans and giving me advice along the way which I really appreciate by the way I have finally come to the conclusion. the truck is going..............NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Bought me a helicoil kit today and some silicone and wish some pushing and cussing and spitting she all went back together and don't leak. I drove the truck around for awhile tonight and it seems alright. Cruising around don't break 210 but when I stopped and Idled and held the foot on the brake it got up to about 230 which isn't great but is not bad for the problems i've been having recently. I'm thinking if I put the shroud back on there and maybe dip my thermostat down to 165 instead of the current 190 I should be alright. Once again thanks to all who contributed and have a great easter weekend
Old 04-10-2004, 10:05 PM   #61
Jeepster376

Good News!! Onward and upward now.