The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2003, 11:37 AM   #26
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I think that Craftsman wrenches are fine, the rough surface can be a pain to clean when done. The profesional series is better but more expencive. I also think Craftsman rust a lot easier, especially the plyers. I purchased some Craftsman tool sets for my boys for Christmas and they don't take care of them verry well, so some are getting rusty. They have the odd snap on wrench and they seem to be fine. The biggest issue I have with Craftsman tools is their screw drivers.. They are junk as far as I am concerned.. Sure Sears will replace them when you break them, but oce a weak I need to go to Sears with a fist full of screw drivers for them to replace. For one the phillips head screw drivers don't seem to grip the screws as well as the Snap On's do, but when they do and you are going after a rusted screw they break off. Leaving the tip right in the screw! I have Pitsburg brand screw drivers I purchased from Harbor Freight that perform better than that and those are supposed to be the bottom of the line tools... WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:19 PM   #27
GMC JUNKIE TOO
THE QUICKER FIXERUPER

I have been using craftsman tools all my life and have tools more than twice my age their newer ratchets dont hold up like the older ones do thats my only complaint I can only remember my dad breaking 2 craftsman tools when I was younger. As for snapon they make great tools I use them alot at school but I dont like their wrenches they are too thin ad hurt your hand when using them hard for extended periods of time. Craftsman for me.
GMC JUNKIE TOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:26 PM   #28
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I work as an industrial mechanic.I use Craftsman for one reason.I can buy twice as much and still have a $ or$$ for truck parts.I do have a set of Snap on sockets and a set of their wrenches.They do fit in tight spots better and are as good as any you can buy.If I worked Automotive I would probably use Snapon but for what I do the Craftsmans are great.BTW Sears is just across the road.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:59 PM   #29
Piston
Account Suspended

Myself, I trust Snap-on for all my hand tools. I don't have time to run off to sears each time one breaks (sockets mainly), BUT I dont buy exclusively Snap-on, It really depends on the tool. Air tools I dont buy from snap-on and a list of other things.

It boils down to this, if your a "do-it-yourself" kinda person that uses the tools occasionaly I wouldn't spend the extra (sometimes double) money to go with Snap-on, Craftsman will do just fine. But, as far as making a living with them and using them everyday for work... Snap on, Matco and sometimes Mac are all I would use.
Of course this is not meant to step on the toes of techs using craftsman or all the other brands! It's just what I prefer
P.S. if I break something I can call any one of the 4 tool trucks that come by on a weekly basis and they will find a way to bring the tool within a day or two. But, thats not a big issue because I (and most of the guys at our shop) have backups of most of the common things just in case.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:35 PM   #30
tom hand
CCRider

Gotta love these hot topics. I have been a mechanic for 20+ years. I have mostly worked on really large equipment and I have only one question for you guys....What the hell are you doing to break so many tools? I have nothing but craftsman hand tools and I have never broken anything but a few ratchets.[but that is because I rarely use them, I refuse to pick one up if you can get air tool in the space...their ratchets are crap] I have tons of snap-on and matco impact sockets and specialty tools and I use ingersol-rand air tools
Old 04-14-2003, 06:48 PM   #31
Piston
Account Suspended

*Does the Tim "the toolman" Taylor grunt... Argg Argg Argg that thing needs more power lol! That new Ingersol-Rand impact that just came out is killer. 1000ft-lbs (rev) is killer!!!

as for breaking tools? sockets usually is what goes first. Rarely do I hurt a wrench or anything else. Oh yes, 02 sensor sockets snap like twigs!!!!
10,13 and 15mm go pretty quick most of the time. Alot of times you can't get the impact sockets down in places so out comes the chrome and after too much of that type of use wears them down till they snap. I brought my craftsman tools home and they work ok here, but not where I rely on them $$$$.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:40 PM   #32
mikep
Used to have a truck

This whole discussion makes me happy that I can buy pretty much whatever I want tool wise on the companies dollar no questions asked.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:48 PM   #33
72BigBlockBurb

I will have to admit to keeping some of my Craftsman sockets in my Snap-On tool box....that is one thing that I have a hard time arguing that snap-on is better in....chrome sockets. As for the rest of my things here at work...they are MAC, Snap-On, and Matco. I have either gotten rid of...or taken home my Craftsman wrenches...try getting a rusty brake line loose with a Craftsman line wrench...it will spread every time...the Snap-On will hold its shape. Put it this way...I have a CPA for a wife...she about died when I put $12K into just a toolbox...but now...after she has seen the quality of the tools and the boxes...she runs me out of the tool area at Sears! Just recently...I was looking for a smaller box for the house...got the ok to buy another box from the Snap-On guy for the house!!! WHAT A WIFE!!! Seriously...if you are using the tools alot or for tearing apart a 30+ year old car...you will be happier...IMOP....with the Snap-On. Just my .02 worth.
1972 402BB Suburban-Finally got her back!
1982 Mecham Racing Firebird #21
2009 GT1 Corvette
2000 Corvette convertible
72BigBlockBurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:17 PM   #34
keenee

Yes S-K is still in busness

I just bought s-k short combo wrenches metric & standard 2 months ago $100.00 Life time warranty!
Someone asked about "breaking tools" I have gone to sears with worn tools more than broken. the screwdrivers are rounded. the sockets round and will not grab the bolts, the rachets stop holding the socket on... I have heard that snap-on will not cover wear. is this true?
'09 DAUGHTER
XOXOXO Wife
keenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:21 PM   #35
Piston
Account Suspended

I think every tool dealer has "limits". As for the tool guys that come to our shop, they'll take care of just about anything we need. Worn is the same as broken in our case... If it doesnt work as it should, its broken.

Actually I think they just go home and break them and turn them in lol. Same goes for drill bits.... it its worn it gets replaced
Old 04-14-2003, 08:41 PM   #36
Class of 69

I've had a few stares from my Snap-On, and Matco dealers for worn or outright abused tool exchanges, but I have never experienced a flat denial of warrenty. If they bring up anything like abuse, I remind them what I payed for the tool, and it damn well better with stand a little abuse. New tool lands in hand. I've had Sears salespeople argue with me about replacing a broken ratchet!! I like the post about pawn shop shopping, just before hunting season.... never thought of that!!
Old 04-14-2003, 08:47 PM   #37
mikep
Used to have a truck

I broke 3 craftsman 1/2 inch breaker bars in one day . I was taking the axle nut off a volkswagen with a 7 foot cheater bar. I took the first one back... no problem. I took the second one back ...raised eyebrow. I took the third one back and the manager flat refused to exchange it after 10 minutes arguing with the bastard. He said " the waranty states satisfaction guaranteed or your money back " So he gave me my money back. I walked over to the shelf and bought another one. I still have it 10 years later.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:00 PM   #38
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I have Craftsman tools, and they work great for me. I use them once a week tops. I bought a 167-piece Craftsman tool set, with 1/4-1/2" drive metric, standard, six point, twelve point sockets; about two dozen metric and standard open end wrenches; spark plug sockets; and a screwdriver set for $163 after tax. Try doing that with Snap-On tools, it would proably cost you $300+. Why i admit that Snap-On does make a better tool, i couldn't justify paying more than twice the price of Craftman unless i was a professional mechanic.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:20 PM   #39
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I've turned wrenches for a living in the past, still do a lot at home and at a railroad museum. I rarely buy Craftsman anymore, the quality just isn't there. Rougher finish that doesn't last and the tolerances have been opened up so the wrenches and sockets don't fit as good as they used to. Snap-on, Matco and the expensive brands are good tools, but they are made for the professional. They will be good for your great grandson to use. Lately I have been buying SK. They are not as good as Snap-On, but are great for the part-time mechanic. And their price is good for the tools you buy. My wife did buy me a set of Craftsman pro screwdrivers that are good, far better than their standard line.

As far as warranty covering wear, Craftsman is the only tools that I'm aware of that covers wear.

My point? If you're a pro, buy the good stuff. SK will do for a start, but you will be wanting the Snap-on quality before long. Watch the pawn shops if you can, especially after Christmas. If you know the prices, ebay can have some good deals. For the average handyman, Craftsman will be good. But if your hobby is turning wrenches and you buy Craftsman, you will probably be wanting something better.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:04 AM   #40
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
As far as warranty on my Snap on stuff. No problem. 2 months ago, I bought a new 1/2 air gun. Snap on said it was far superior to anything on the market. So, I put it to the test. This thing hit the floor sideways more than once, I mean I really beat the crap out of it. Well, it quit going in reverse, warrantied it twice with no questions, finally he gave me my money ( truck credit) back. I also bought a new drop light from Mac, its made by Farret Industries. LED bulbs and a 5 year warranty on the lens. My Mac guy said it was impossible to break. He ran this thing over for a week at some other shop, didnt break. Well, if there is something that comes out on the market with claims like that, I will test it. A week later mine was in 2 peices. It took for me to tell him I wouldnt buy from him anymore untill he replaced it to finally getting a new one. My point is, everything breaks, its just a matter of time. Buy what you can afford or think you need, treat it well and maintain it every week, if is built with quality, it will last long, if not, you'll find new words to call your tool rep, or the guy behind the counter that just got transfered from "Lawns and Garden". Peace.
John
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:35 AM   #41
ZOOMY

wrenches

I think everybody should have a CPA for a wife......Zoomy
ZOOMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:57 AM   #42
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

I've got about $17000.00 worth of Snap-On tools (box included) My favorite ratchet is a snap-on 3/8 drive flex head with the screwdriver style handle. I love the new style handle on the screwdrivers too. As far as end wrenches go, the ones I grab first are my K-D "gearwrenches".......I love those frickin' things. Since I got out of wrenching on vehicles and trucks for a living, I don't have as much access to the snap-on truck, so I've been buying mostly Napa tools lately.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:11 AM   #43
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
I agree about Gearwrenches. Best thing since sliced bread. I have a full set of both SAE and metric, standard size and stubbys. Dont know what I would do without them. The only thing I dont like about them is the fact that the open end seems to "stretch" a bit when you put any amount of force to them, other than that they are incredible.
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:18 AM   #44
cableguy0

i agree with most people snap on is the best plus u get free delivery and not snot nosed punk behind a counter to argue with ya. craftsman is ok for home use but no way in he!! would i ever trust em to work with everyday i have hurt myself at home from too many craftsman wrenches and ratchets breaking and my hand or arm being cut wide open or punching a very strong piece of iron. its one thing to be able to use a tool its another to be able to trust a tool and i trust snap on i dont trust craftsman for every use and abuse
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 04:11 AM   #45
Seke69
Space Cadet

I have only broken two ratchets and a pry bar ever, all of them were cheapo brands and both ratchets were 1/4" drive (I have worn out many phillips screwdrivers though). most of the tools I buy are Craftsman, mostly because I can con my friends at Sears to pick them up for me with their discount, but also because they're cheaper. the MAC, matco, and Snap-on guys come into my work at least once a week, but I don't see any sense in paying that much for tools, as I don't use them as often as professional mechanics, and have yet to see any difference in quality. I also don't like the way Snap-on wrenches feel, I don't know what it is. maybe the grip?

If you're afraid of buying some sockets and having them break/wear, buy impact sockets instead of the chrome ones, you can get them in 3/8 and 1/2 (1/4 and 3/4 too)so you won't be limited to the air tools. Craftsman sells 'em cheap. Another thing (kinda promoting Craftsman here) is that A LOT of Craftsman tools are not Craftsman design, I have a fixed base router that is basically a Ryobi, but says Craftsman, and is painted a different color. the Crapsman rotary tool is THE SAME as it's DREMEL counterpart. a line of their paint sprayers are the same as a DeVilbiss, some of their air wrenches are(were) IngersolRand some are Campbell Hausfield (not the best brand...). My brother's table saw is a GRIZZLY, but says Craftsman. Some of their welding stuff is Lincoln Electric I think, And I'm 98% sure that a line of their tool drawers/cabinets/boxes are SNAP-ON they just have Craftsman labels......

who knows?, maybe their wrenches are made by ............. someone else, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

(Bob Villa you owe me a paycheck)
Seke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:32 PM   #46
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

Wow, talking about breaking craftsman tools......my dad and I broke a 3/4 drive craftsman breaker bar in 3 pieces one time.......of course we did abuse it a little. We'd tried everything we could think of to get the output shaft flange nut loose on his tranny in a freightliner and had absolutely no luck. I was joking with him and said "he!!, why don't we just put it on the nut and wedge it against the frame rail and drop it in reverse!".......he took me serious and the iron started flying!

Chad
South Central Nebraska
Old 04-15-2003, 12:32 PM   #47
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

Wow, talking about breaking craftsman tools......my dad and I broke a 3/4 drive craftsman breaker bar in 3 pieces one time.......of course we did abuse it a little. We'd tried everything we could think of to get the output shaft flange nut loose on his tranny in a freightliner and had absolutely no luck. I was joking with him and said "he!!, why don't we just put it on the nut and wedge it against the frame rail and drop it in reverse!".......he took me serious and the iron started flying!

Chad
South Central Nebraska
Old 04-15-2003, 01:33 PM   #48
still w.i.p '68
Dreams are free

they are both great tools, I have some of each, there is a prestige thing about the snap on's in my opinion, they are also a lot more expensive, they both have great warranties, but the problem I have is living in the sticks, the snap on truck don';t come by to exchange broken tools, on the other hand there is a sear about 40 minutes from here. you can buy the craftsman, and either get more tools for the money, or put the extra toward something else, jmho..

originally w.i.p '68
member since 1-01
w.i.p = ( work in progress )
still w.i.p '68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:47 AM   #49
I.A.W. AMM?

ok i make my living with my tools so this is my 2 cents
craftsman is ok ( non pro style) and yes i have some, in fact its what i started out with . and now thats whats in my " ok the bend with a torch/sacrofice tool drawer) but my main brand is S&K and facom followed by snap on

gear wrench = thank god they make them how ever not good for high tourqe jobs , but thats no what they are made for !

just a note craftsman proline ( non raised panel type) = made by S&K / facom.

why S&K simple they make a exelent tool for a real fair price even with out my 45% off discount. the S&k tools are very tolerant of just flat out abuse.

snapon = good tool but price is to high on some items, however
they do make some one of a kind tools that will save you some megga time . (credit where credit is due )

matco = not impressed about a 6 on the o'l 1 to 10 scale. but what i dont get is armstrong makes a kick butt wrench.. like them alot but matco's stuff just blows for the most part. and matco is owned by danaher tool group who allso owns armsrtong.

just a note danaher tool group makes some of craftsmans stuff
check out www.danaher.com
click on Mechanics Hand Tools.

ok thats my 2 cents that turned into $5.00

let the debate continue

I.A.W AMM?
I.A.W. AMM? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:02 AM   #50
Piston
Account Suspended

On the gear wrenches, give the matco stuff a shot. They are the normal length (10") and I have yet to destroy this set. I've tried lol... I had a set of the shorter (normal length for craftsman) ones from craftsman and/or other brands made the same way, and they just don't last in a tough spot. You can't "lean" on them like this set I have now. I completly agree, there are times where nothing else will work other than the gear wrenches