The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2016, 11:09 PM   #51
RINC

Re: Experts Question re: Dealer Added Factory Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
Actually there are year specific differences. His truck being a 1971 would need to have the one year only raised pad above the center of the windshield to mount the rear view mirror. If his doesn't have it, then we know for a fact the cab was swapped.

**Hijack**

I has a '69 C-20 which has no holes for the rear view mirror. Did any of these trucks leave the factory in '69 with no rear view mirror ? Concerned as it turned out to have a Salvage title.

'69 C-20
'04 Jeep TJ
RINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:15 AM   #52
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

I did a very quick google search and couldn't find when a rear view mirror became required and couldn't find an answer.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:28 AM   #53
truckster

Whether or not the truck came from the factory with AC, wouldn't it be nice if you could get a new one for under $4k today?
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:33 AM   #54
special-K
Special Order

As mentioned in my other post, I had been told of a truck the owner insisted on having factory A/C added before accepting delivery. The truck was special ordered and the dealership screwed up... they forgot the A/C on the options list. Truck came in, just as ordered, the guy was tickled pink till he looked inside and saw no A/C. It was part of the price negotiation, was on his paper work he left the dealership with, and he insisted on having it added to the truck... would not accept add-on A/C. I am sure they dealership tried till their faces turned blue, but it wasn't happening. Now, I have always taken this story with a grain of salt... leaning towards BS. I have heard a tone of stories on these trucks in the last 45 years. Fun to listen to and mostly nothing to put any stock in, and this was one. But, I'm wondering now if there was truth in that tale. This seems to be a case of a similar situation, or was simply added somewhere along the line by a person with a high level of attention to detail (like me). I don't call myself an expert, but I seem to have gained knowledge from experience over so many years

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:47 AM   #55
Nufsed

I could certainly see *me* (and probably many of you) doing this install, just because I would want it to be factory-appearing. I really don't think it would be such a huge task, especially if you had a donor truck. I know that if it were mine, I would've insisted on putting the hole right where it goes and filling the other one.

Now, the idea of buying all the components brand new, in a kit or otherwise would be just crazy expensive.

I think this truck was owned by someone like us....

Please note that the truck is NOT being misrepresented by anyone. The seller told me about the SPID not having the air on it in our first conversation. He couldn't believe anyone would do this, either. If anyone wanted to take the low road on this truck, they would just throw the sticker away, and no-one would even suspect it not being factory.
Nufsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #56
Nufsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
I did a very quick google search and couldn't find when a rear view mirror became required and couldn't find an answer.
I don't think they are *required* in all vehicles depending on configuration. A van without windowed rear doors doesn't come with the inside mirror. I suspect that chassis-cabs don't either. I've seen box trucks (chassis-cabs) with no provision for them.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #57
100%Chevy

My 78,P-30 van has no inside rearview mirror.It does have 2 small rear windows.
My G-30 van-cab/chassie motorhome does have the mirror,but you can't see out the back with it.
I guess it really depends on how it was ordered and the application.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #58
geunther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufsed View Post
I don't think they are *required* in all vehicles depending on configuration.
Requirement is the driver's door mirror, and either the rearview mirror in the cab, or the one on the passenger door. Both are not required (Your state may vary, but typically they are all similar).
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #59
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

I wonder if he ever bought the truck in question.

I wanted to add that it would be real interesting to see how the firewall was modified to accept an A/C heater box since the holes are different as seen in the picture. Also, I' would like to know if the battery box was also changed to one for the A/C trucks.
Attached Images

cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #60
100%Chevy

When I did mine,I used parts from another truck I have.
The cut-outs on the firewall,I carefully laid it out then cut out less than needed so I could roll the edges inward like original.Same when I filled the larger hole,then re-cut it.
Your pic doesn't show all the holes to be filled and re-drilled.
I did use 2 battery boxes to make one that has the correct clamp for the lines.
It's not very hard to do,just time consuming.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:36 PM   #61
Nufsed

Man, I've been gone too long from here! I did NOT buy the truck pictured. It's been so long I truthfully don't know why. I'm certain it was not because of the AC install.
Man, the time does fly...