The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #51
66clow

Re: Horn doesn't work!

Thanks to you I just got mine working. I don't have a tilt, I have power steering and don't have the wire in the rag nut. I pretty much followed your install without the big spring. Like you the horn stays on once you put everything together without that big spring. I loosened the steering wheel nut a bit and I ended up only using and tightening up the two screws further away from the pin underneath the black circle thing. It allows the button to work. With the third screw in the pin was too close to the black circle plate. Another option is I saw on utube is actually snipping a small part of the silver pin to shorten it slightly with some snips. This would back it away from the black circle plate. Good luck. Also I'm not sure if it matters or the difference my cancelling cam is white but looks similar to your black one.

Last edited by 66clow; 06-04-2016 at 01:28 PM.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #52
Killer Bee

working factory horn switch is nice..

fortunately, mine only needed cleaning and a little lube on the rubber centerpiece..

passed inspection

conducting test

reporting results
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #53
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
working factory horn switch is nice..

fortunately, mine only needed cleaning and a little lube on the rubber centerpiece..

passed inspection

conducting test
[IMG]https://dl.dropbox.com/s/fnu4zd6u0shilrk/horn%20tester.jpg?dl=0[/IMG

reporting results

Awesome photo! I enjoyed those times with my now 19 year old that spends his time with his teen age friends now.

Another thing I did as I checked the horn to see if it was stuck on until I found a spot was with the test wire. I'd test the wire and back off a screw until I found the spot it would not constantly blow.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #54
OUbesto

Well....I'm glad I made somebody's day! Ha!! I'm not sure I want to eliminate the large spring since it sounds like it belongs in a tilt assembly.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #55
OUbesto

Does anyone know how to remove the Copper pin from the white plastic turn signal housing? When I removed the turn signal mechanism, it does not look like the copper pin can be removed from the bottom side of the plastic. So I am assuming it has to somehow be removed from the top side (towards driver as you look at wheel).
Old 06-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #56
dmjlambert

The photo of how to assemble from 66clow in the above discussion does not show any more. Is that available somewhere?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #57
OUbesto

Horn works! Finally!!!

So I kept thinking my problem was that the copper pin in the turn signal switch was not protruding enough to make contact with the underside of the cancelling cam to make a ground connection and complete the circuit to the horn. But when I originally looked at the design of the copper pin housing, I couldn't see how the pin could be removed etc. So, once again I disassembled the steering wheel, horn contact and removed the turn signal switch. I turned over the turn signal switch and saw a very narrow strip of metal across the bottom of the copper pin chamber that had a black wire attached to it. I traced this black wire down through the steering column wiring harness and found it lead to the ground on the horn replay. All make sense now since this was the grounding mechanism for the horn to work! However, removing the narrow metal plate was a bit strange. It is designed with two edges that have a split that makes two finger-like tips that are pushed through the plastic housing. Once inserted through the plastic, you take a small screwdriver or small needle nose pliers and spread them apart to keep plate secure. Although it is a very small area to get your tools into it, it didn't take much to remove. Once the finger tips were straightened, the base metal plate easily falls out along with the very, very tiny copper colored coil spring. At first glance, the copper spring was completely compressed I'm sure for 45+ years of being pushed down! I simply just extended the spring so it looked normal and reinserted it. The re-installation of the metal plate was pretty easy since I now knew how to push it back through the plastic housing then took small needle nose and bent the finger tips back to secure it in place. Everything else went back together and once everything was reinstalled....VOILA! The horn now works!!! My only regret was not taking pictures along the way to show more details. Sorry.... but I will be more than happy to answer any questions.

Last edited by OUbesto; 06-07-2016 at 05:46 PM.
OUbesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #58
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Glad you finally got it working and thanks for the follow up. I had never heard of anyone having that particular problem before.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:26 AM   #59
66clow

Congratulations, I know you are too happy. I know you spent hours/days figuring it out. I wish you had photos too. I want to take mine apart to see what your talking about but maybe not after what I went thru too : )
Old 07-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #60
vweater2001

My horn still doesn't work either...I have a grant wood wheel... I disconnected my horn, sprayed wd40 in it and let it rest for a while. Then reconnected everything and all I keep hearing is click, click coming from the relay and it gets pretty hot without the truck actually being on.

History was my horn was working, some dude cut me off pretty bad and I banged on my horn button so hard it stayed on. So I parked my truck disconnected my horn from under the hood and went on.

some help guys, how can I get this to get working again?

1969 GMC C1500 Stepside Shortbed - daily driver

Mando
vweater2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #61
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vweater2001 View Post
My horn still doesn't work either...I have a grant wood wheel... I disconnected my horn, sprayed wd40 in it and let it rest for a while. Then reconnected everything and all I keep hearing is click, click coming from the relay and it gets pretty hot without the truck actually being on.

History was my horn was working, some dude cut me off pretty bad and I banged on my horn button so hard it stayed on. So I parked my truck disconnected my horn from under the hood and went on.

some help guys, how can I get this to get working again?
If the relay is clicking when you push on the horn button it pretty much has to be the horn or the wiring to the horn. I would disconnect the wire from the horn, put a meter on it and have someone push on the horn button. If the meter shows current it has to be the horn. Before you do this make sure you have a good ground strap from the frame or engine to the core support....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote