The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
67ChevyPickupMan

Power or no power steering

My truck has factory manual steering while my dads has power steering (not stock). And I was wondering who hear likes power or manual steering, which is more popular (probably self explanatory) and if people still buy manual steering.
67ChevyPickupMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
carbon69

Re: Power or no power steering

If you have hard time making it into the gym, go manual steering. It's great for building that upper body!

Joking aside, I've converted every manual steering rig I've owned to power. To me it just makes the whole experience of cruising around that much more enjoyable.
carbon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
truckster

The only reason I can think of to keep manual steering is to avoid having family members drive your truck. For me it's power steering all the way.

This is especially true of 4 wheel drive, where power steering is a safety consideration if you off-road at all.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:04 AM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

When I started driving back in the mid-sixties, a lot of vehicles didn't have (and most didn't need) power steering -- including a few that I owned. Skinny tires helped. Seems like it has been many, many years since I drove anything with manual steering. Wouldn't bother me too much if I never did again.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
Grumpy old man

I just finished installing power steering on my 67 and wouldn't consider keeping it manual . it's a good upgrade and not that hard to do .
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
carbon69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I just finished installing power steering on my 67 and wouldn't consider keeping it manual . it's a good upgrade and not that hard to do .
Hey grumpy, did you have to dimple the frame for that steering box?
Old 12-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

Yes , if you look at the lower left of this picture you can see where I used a cut off wheel to run 2 grooves down the frame rail being careful to not go all the way thru , Then I used a little heat and hammer to move that section in enough for the steering box to fit . Once I was happy with the fit I ran multiple small welds across the 2 grooves and sanded it all smooth . Worked great without beating the frame with a BFH .

Parts -

71 power steering bracket --- $80.00
CPP power steering pump----$130.00
Chrome pulley ---------------$35.00
SS power steering hoses----- $95.00 Pickmup
Power steering gear box-----$138.00 advance 3.3
Moog pitman arm ------------$35.00
steering coupler -------------$31.00

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 12-28-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Eric Johnson

When I bought my 67 I was prepared to go to power steering. However, when It arrived and took my initial drive, found out that it was not bad at all, so I am keeping it manual. I live in the country though and as some members have remarked, location and type of driving situations would have an impact on which to go with. I THINK my 67 has the dimpled frame. It is was built in late JUly 67. Can someone verify this for me? Pic attached...
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #9
68panelman

I'm the odd man out who likes it too, my area is rural and I enjoy the simplicity. My 67 has those same dimples too as Eric's
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
palallin

When I was much younger, I put power steering on my '67 so that my mother could drive it if needed. I didn't feel any need for it otherwise.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:21 PM   #11
carbon69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
When I bought my 67 I was prepared to go to power steering. However, when It arrived and took my initial drive, found out that it was not bad at all, so I am keeping it manual. I live in the country though and as some members have remarked, location and type of driving situations would have an impact on which to go with. I THINK my 67 has the dimpled frame. It is was built in late JUly 67. Can someone verify this for me? Pic attached...
Eric, looks like you have the raised pads, but no dimple. My 67 is the same. My plan is to run the cpp 50014 box which works without dimpling the frame, as long as you have the raised pads like yours.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #12
weq92f

In my late HS and college years, I drove a '68 w/ manual steering and 275/15 tires up front! Also had a very small wheel for those conditions.

Just don't try to turn the wheel unless the truck is moving and you'll be fine!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #13
Jason Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
I agree with carbon69. You have the raised pads but no dimple. For what it's worth I have a 1968 model, built October 28th 1967 at Fremont that does not have the dimple in the frame.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #14
chewychevy67

My 67 has the old ram style power assist on it so I restored it. It was on it factory so I restored it and put it back on. Soim kind of a little bit of both. Hope I don't regret it as my frame is powder coated and it won't be getting dimpled now. But even so power steering is nice either way and one of the best upgrades to do to your truck.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:14 PM   #15
dagnabbitt

I'm working on my 68 C20 with a 292 and I've heard that it is tough to find the necessary parts to install power steering on it. Don't know if that is true or not. I have so much to do to the truck that PS is kind of far down the list anyway.

Once I get it on the road I guess we will see: I think as long as you don't have to do any parallel parking you will be fine without it. I might change my tune though.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #16
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon69 View Post
If you have hard time making it into the gym, go manual steering. It's great for building that upper body!
20 years ago I was dropping a engine into my friends C10, and doing a bunch of suspension mods for him. He had a job that had extreme OT so I said I would do the work for him. And dial it in.

I was a in decent shape from my electricians job, and after 4 weeks of driving that truck. I could really see the difference in my body. Also I began to just drive it like it was a power steering equipped. Meaning putting one hand on the wheel for most driving except parking lots.

If you do power insuggest getting a fast ratio box it forms it up nicely with a matched pump.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:29 PM   #17
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
I'm working on my 68 C20 with a 292 and I've heard that it is tough to find the necessary parts to install power steering on it. Don't know if that is true or not. I have so much to do to the truck that PS is kind of far down the list anyway.

Once I get it on the road I guess we will see: I think as long as you don't have to do any parallel parking you will be fine without it. I might change my tune though.
The secret to non power steering driving is to get the truck moving before you turn the wheel. Even a 1/2 mph makes it 200% easier to steer.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #18
67ChevyPickupMan

Seems like power steering is the way to go. I figured that much. Hopefully it's not to expensive to do. Everyone says the same thing about the upper body strength too. Probably the one good thing to come out of manual steering, especially for someone who will be a high school senior in two years. I don't fight(personally don't know how to and don't want to) but the strength would be great since I'm in automotive and work with a friend as a diesel mechanic in the summer. Another question, how hard is it to find power steering parts for a 283 V8 with a 2 barrel carb? Thanks to all who already posted. Happy New Year too.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:58 PM   #19
Ziegelsteinfaust

There the same as any other sbc. Long water pump or short water pump versions. I forget the switch over year.

Also if you want the 87+ TBI serpentine is cheap to get used, and leaves you with a better belt. Plus easier to add ac if that interest you. You will also need the water pump in this version.

If your going to pick a part it then you'll be better going to the long water pump if your truck is not equipped. Since it is easier to find these days where I live.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:20 AM   #20
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

My 68 is power and my 73 isnt. It doesn't bother me either way. Like them both for different reasons. Just takes a different approach with manual steering.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:51 AM   #21
67ChevyPickupMan

I probably will convert my truck to power steering in the future, but I wouldn't mind trying out manual for a hot second. I might like it, who knows. What does a ram style look like?
Old 12-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #22
maverickmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyPickupMan View Post
Seems like power steering is the way to go. I figured that much. Hopefully it's not to expensive to do. Everyone says the same thing about the upper body strength too. Probably the one good thing to come out of manual steering, especially for someone who will be a high school senior in two years. I don't fight(personally don't know how to and don't want to) but the strength would be great since I'm in automotive and work with a friend as a diesel mechanic in the summer. Another question, how hard is it to find power steering parts for a 283 V8 with a 2 barrel carb? Thanks to all who already posted. Happy New Year too.
Wow, you're still in high school? It is really awesome to have you here and to have someone of your age into these old trucks. Very cool. This place is a plethora of information. Stop in often, use the search and keep us up to date on your progress.

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #23
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyPickupMan View Post
I probably will convert my truck to power steering in the future, but I wouldn't mind trying out manual for a hot second. I might like it, who knows. What does a ram style look like?
The ram looks like this.
Name:  powerasist.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  20.2 KB
Here is a setup on a 66 chevy (picture from the board)
Name:  66powerst.jpg
Views: 1540
Size:  57.4 KB

Here is a helpful link of parts for regular power steering
from a member in this link below.

Link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=216886

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:32 PM   #24
maverickmk

My 80 Corvette had that setup, the ram style power assist. The first thing I did was get rid of it and get a standard power steering gear box.

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #25
67ChevyPickupMan

MaverickMK, yep still in high school, second year of it. I have a 67 Chevy C10 3 speed with a 283 V8 2 barrel (My avatar) and then I have a 74 W200 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge 4 speed granny gear transmission with a 318 V8 4 barrel. My Dodge is the only one running at the moment though. Right now my dad and I have my truck sitting on jacks with the inner wheel wells, the radiator, heater box and core, interior and gas tank out. The hoods are off both of our trucks and the engine is out of his. We're putting an original 327 in it. Found it at a swap meet. It must have been sent down from up above cause it came out of a 67 Chevy C10. Back to the ram steering, my dad said he thinks that 62-65 Nova's had it too. If that's correct?