The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2004, 11:24 AM   #1
MrGoodpliers

People are strange

Ever notice how many people pull out in front of you when you're in an old truck? You can see 'em thinking-- Here comes a POS truck, I'd better pull out in front of him. Why aren't they thinking-- Here comes a POS truck, I'd better not pull out in front of him 'cause he probably doesn't have any brakes?
MrGoodpliers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #2
SWEET7T
Try spinnin 4 rear tars

I have days like that! Sometimes you wonder how people got their driving license! Maybe they think that since we are in older vehicles, we are going slower. HA HA I beg to differ!!! These truck will fly when set up
Old 01-13-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Oh how true, I suffer from this a lot, don't they realise how bad 36 year old manual drum brakes may be? (and how much damage my large collection of steel with no crumple zones and a frame made out of the same beams they build bridges out of will do if it hit's their effeminate euro shooping trolley)

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:05 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

LOL im more worried about the old people who cant see and drive a roaring ten mph even on the freeway.those are the worst that love to pull out in front of people. Here in the city ya also find alot of foreigners looking to get rear ended that pull into traffic and slam the brakes hoping to get hit full rear

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:08 PM   #5
Paul72

I guess after having a motorcycle, I just come to expect that they will pull out in front of you, no matter what. It's sad when you're 'surprised' when somebody does what they should!!
Old 01-13-2004, 12:08 PM   #6
J

Funny, people usually get out of my way, I'm not sure if its the loud pipes or my driving style, but there is always a look on their face that says "He'll hit my Beemer and then touch up that God-awful primer without even blinking!" Could be some truth to that though.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:13 PM   #7
caspear78

Location: biwabik, minnesota, what is this white stuff out here
J,, i believe that loud pipes may help to a point, if they hear them and still pull out they are asking to get hit
caspear78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:19 PM   #8
PR454SS

Man and I thought I was the only one seeing this, I see people do this all the time. Driving is not a strong point for some of the people around here, I keep myself amused by it occasionally, imagine these same people actually trying to do something that is difficult, LOL

72SWB 350/350TH, 3500stall,525 lift cam 3:73 posi. Sold!
69LWB Flatbed 350/Super T-10, ported/polished 481 heads, 480 lift cam.
78SWB 468/400TH, ported/polished Alum. heads, 3:42 posi, 3000 stall on 17x8 and 18x9.5's
77 Jeep CJ-5 304V8 fiberglass body on 36" Ground Hawgs
PR454SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:24 PM   #9
BraveDave

"Okay, Dave...just walk away from this thread.....take a few deep breaths before you speak.....take it easy."

As a land surveyor in the Houston area, I drive 100-150 miles a day. People pull out in front of me on a daily basis. They only look at how far away you are, not how fast you are travelling. Nothing in the whole world makes me madder than this. I just bought a new Big Dog Chopper. I think I will follow Billy Lane's example and attach a bracket to the side of the tank for a chrome ball peen hammer for such occasions.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:28 PM   #10
71Rat
ran out of money

thats why i want a big ol one ton or bigger truck so when they do it i can hit them and have little amount of damage. something like an old cucv (old military trucks) of even a duece and an half!!!!! Don't get me wrong, i don't want to hurt anyone but i would like to teach them a lesson. Then again we all have to think about how we drive, and i don't mean to rustle someones feathers. but at one time or another most of us have tryed to or gotten in front of someone because "we didn't want to be behind them" i know i am guilty, and i have no problem admitting when i am wrong.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:31 PM   #11
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

Since I've been driving the old beater again, here's what I've noticed:

- People will take great pains to pull out in front of you. They just HAVE to "beat that old truck." If I get stuck behind one more beat-to-crap Aerostar, I'm going to start ramming people.

- It doesn't matter if you're going 20 miles an hour over the speed limit, EVERYONE behind you will attempt to pass the moment the get the chance.

- Apparently, Chevrolet built and sold 8,304,104,307 of these trucks. I base that on the fact that EVERYONE has had or knows someone that has had a truck either EXACTLY like mine or one that was "much nicer."

- Every jackass and soccer mom in the entire state will tailgate you. I'm beginning to think they WANT to replace their plastic bumpers.

There are, however, some positive aspects to driving an old beater like mine...

- If the person is driving anything newer than 1990, they will walk an extra 300 feet just to avoid parking next to you.

- It's fun watching paranoid mothers pull their children as far away as they can when I fire those duals up in the parking lot.
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:32 PM   #12
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

Quote:
I think I will follow Billy Lane's example and attach a bracket to the side of the tank for a chrome ball peen hammer for such occasions.
Ah, the old "traffic cop", eh? Those were common features of the old school choppers long before Billy came along.
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:32 PM   #13
TEXAS 68
Vortec in the works

Quote:
Originally posted by BraveDave
"Okay, Dave...just walk away from this thread.....take a few deep breaths before you speak.....take it easy."

As a land surveyor in the Houston area, I drive 100-150 miles a day. People pull out in front of me on a daily basis. They only look at how far away you are, not how fast you are travelling. Nothing in the whole world makes me madder than this. I just bought a new Big Dog Chopper. I think I will follow Billy Lane's example and attach a bracket to the side of the tank for a chrome ball peen hammer for such occasions.
You are Brave Dave doing that kind of work in this town

68 Project

68 SWB frame off/98 Vortec with stock FI/power everything.
95 ECLB 2500 with 346,000 on the clock(the original HD)
99 Lesabre-wifes ride
08 Crew Cab LTZ-All Mine
89 SWB 5/7 drop-Son's first ride.
TEXAS 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:37 PM   #14
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
BraveDave,

Who do you work for? I work for Weisser ( don't say I'm sorry) Eng over on the West side. If you put that many miles a day I'm guessing you work out in the field. I'm a carpet monkey... but right now I'm not complaining about staying in the office. I do most of our GPS work so I get out enough..

and not to steal the thread... I get pulled out in front of everytime I drive...If I didn't care about that steering shaft coming through my chest I could hit one or two a day...
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:17 PM   #15
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

People usually let me go by, I think that my clearance lights make my truck look bigger.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:48 PM   #16
fast14

Usually when people pull out in front of me, and especially if it's a little rice burner I always make it a point to show em just what a 1970 chevy grill looks like close up in their rear view mirror and then i'll switch lanes and let them hear what a beefed up 355 sounds like!!
Old 01-13-2004, 04:04 PM   #17
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

People here in Ga say that being Im from Ca, that I MUST be used to crazy drivers... I told them that the difference is that Ca iddiots will slam right into you with eyes wide open.... here in Southern Ga, they have their head so far up their @$$ they dont even see you!!!

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:17 PM   #18
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by GMCjunkie
People here in Ga say that being Im from Ca, that I MUST be used to crazy drivers... I told them that the difference is that Ca iddiots will slam right into you with eyes wide open.... here in Southern Ga, they have their head so far up their @$$ they dont even see you!!!

We say the same thing about drivers from Kalifornia! LOL

Had to give ya a hard time about that you know

(spssss don't tell anybody but I say that about these GA folks too...I'm from Detroit )

I Was saying a LOT about the twit that got on I75 at 35mph in front of my yesterday.

To fully understand that you must understand the speedlimit here is pretty well a recomendation. Most people run 10-20 over it. So as this twit got on at 35 in a 65 people were blowing past her at 75 and 80. She got on the hwy less then half the speed most people were traveling. Instant bottle neck with people dodging her and my butt stuck behind her.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:26 PM   #19
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

Quote:
Originally posted by shuttermutt
Since I've been driving the old beater again, here's what I've noticed:

- People will take great pains to pull out in front of you. They just HAVE to "beat that old truck." If I get stuck behind one more beat-to-crap Aerostar, I'm going to start ramming people.

LOL....that happens alot too....although when i am at the front of the pack at a stoplight i always end up leaving everyone behind...even though my truck isn't that fast (15.6 1/4 mile).

People seem to go to great pains to ride my rear bumper all the time....i will be going like 10mph over the speed limit on a curvy road and someone will start tailgating me

I do love droping it into 2nd gear on the highway to pass....let everyone hear the roar of my duals
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:33 PM   #20
bad69
Struggling Artist

happened to me on 1-2-2002 and totaled my 67 c-20 before i could even think about restoring!!!!!!
94 Grand Cherokee
49 Cadillac sedan
bad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 05:15 PM   #21
Spoof

One thing I've noticed is people are more inclined to seriously tailgate when I drove my any of my wifes little cars. Jump in the old ladder truck full of tools and people are more likely to give you some space.
Just goes to show that a lot of the bully tailgaters back off when you might be a rough neck! Pretty good plan too.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:19 PM   #22
Effle18

If you think someone might pull out....they will. I get that all the time on the bike. Although living in S. Fla you learn to expect it.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:30 PM   #23
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Usually here, its the older folk thatll pull out in front of you. Its the University twits or the soccer moms all on their cell phones that drive with the front of thier recycled beer can stuck to your bumper. Like riding my @$$ is gonna make me drive faster. Funny.

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 06:35 PM   #24
Alexis
Member since 2000

............. when you're a stranger, faces look ugly when you are alone, women seem wicket when you are unwanted.........

I live in california, its the thing to do to merge onto the exit and merge back onto the freeway, make a complete stop, finish the conversation on the phone and then go again, stop agian and teste your star*uck and then almost get sideswiped by a big rig and not even notice, all this in your pretty silver automatic porsche.............yes this is a daily thing to see for me.

Know one cuts in front of a 1972 3/4 4x4 with a 10inch lift and rolling on 40's sounding like you just left hell. But they do smash on there brakes cause they forgot to exit and think its a good idea to cut across 3 lanes with traffic coming with a kid in the car........I don't even question this action anymore.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 06:37 PM   #25
BtnkBndt
Pennyless Fool

I believe when you signal to make a right turn this means the person making a left from oncomming traffic instantly gets the right of way.

I have also noticed the tailgaiting thing getting worse the last few years. This is mostly in town, not on the freeway. I regularly drive 5 mph over the posted and constantly get someones nose up my a$$. My attitude is "the closer you get, the slower I go" until at times I have slowly come to a full stop. I feel there are usually one or two other lanes they can use to pass. If they want to drive like Mario, let them juggle lanes!! I ain't changing lanes for a jerk and I also ain't risking a speeding ticket and higher insurance premiums for thier convenience.

I used to have a Tyotee 4x4 with rear facing KC's, that was always fun in these situations.

67 Short Step
283/TH400/4.11
BtnkBndt is offline   Reply With Quote