The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2004, 07:48 PM   #26
BILELL

STRANGE

BIG AIR HORNS SEEM TO HELP ME ALOT!!!
BILELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:00 PM   #27
Russell
Professional Grade

I get the same thing in my GMC, people are always cutting me off, or pulling out infront of me then slowing way down. Something about not wanting to be behind a big old truck or something. I am usually out infront off the line with my stock 350 too, I was driving home a while back and a slammed blazer pulled out behind me, we stopped at a red light side by side, and I beat him off the line, there was a bunch of traffic in his lane for the next red, and I was out front, he actually cut someone off to get behind me for once, so he could get off the red light the fastest, lol. I often get the little imports and occasionally a bigger sports car rev at me, my exhaust sounds pretty loud at an idle, but I almost always get beat off the line as it is so slippery I can't open the secondaries till I am rolling fairly nice already.

I hate those little tiny cars that tailgate too, I can't see them behind me, there was one fella who decided he wanted to tailgate with his brights on, so I just let go of the gas and let her start rolling. He finally passed me as I was going 10 km/h, and gave me the finger as he went by, I then kept right on his tail with my highbeams going straight through his rear window until he turned off. Tried a couple brake tests on me, but I was keeping far enough back and my brakes are good enough that I could easily stop.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:08 PM   #28
stepside454

Pauls72...I use to live in Sartell .
I think because my truck is lowered ,its an optical alluision of some kind, makes it look farther away... that or there just stupid... either way
Old 01-16-2004, 05:17 AM   #29
jimfulco

What about the bleeping idiots that ease past you on the freeway when you're going 75-80mph and as soon as they've got bumper clearance they pull back in front of you? Or a pack of 2 or 3 of them all about 2 car lengths apart doing the same thing. Seems to be the official state maneuver in E. Texas & N.W. Louisiana.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 05:32 AM   #30
Hotrod70C10
Low & Slow

I constantly get flipped off by people in front of me at stop lights. I guess that since the front of my truck sits lower than most midsized cars they think that I am pulling up right on their bumpers. The bad thing is there is usually atleast a car lenght or so inbetween my truck and the car in front. The thing with people pulling out in front of me. It happens every day I drive my truck. I don't think that it helps that I am actually one of those "idiots" that drives at or just below the speed limit!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:54 PM   #31
jay6891
Car Knocker

I drive a dump truck somtimes for work and I couldn't tell you how many times people will pull out in front of me just to go a couple blocks and decided to turn. but not before almost coming to a complete stop. They just don't realize how bad 79,950 lbs is going to hurt when I hit em.Lots of tire smoke, engine brake, and down shifting. I once had two women sitting on the side of the road talking. I notice that they were standing IN the highway. I eased over some. About the time I felt safe that they had seen me, their dog jump out the window and they BOTH ran out in front of me to catch this silly mut. Luckly nobody coming the opposite way or it would have been really bad. I hit the ditch and layed black marks for what seamed forever. Scared the HELL out of me.That bulldog on my hood would have had them for lunch.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:06 PM   #32
1969 GMC

people can be jerks, and sometimes it is due to senility. i don't even know how many times a senior citizen has pulled out in front of me and shouldn't have. and my truck is yellow, i don't really blend in anywhere. just today on my way home from school this happened, an old b@st@rd pulled about a block and half in front of me, and he went fast from a stop. lit up the tire on his Marquis. then slowed down to a maddeningly slow 10 under the speed limit as soon as he was on the main road. I was soooooooooo tempted to just floor it and ram the guy, and then have all the witnesses (it was a busy street) prove that I couldn't have evaded it. Then pretend my neck hurts and that I am suffering "undue emotional trauma" because of what I went through. Then get millions of dollars and live comfortable for the rest of my life. lol *stops dreaming*
But I didn't hit him, he probably would have had a heart attack or something, then claimed that he never saw me.

i am not trying to insinuate that I hate the elderly, its just that I have noticed a trend that they are worse drivers than teenage males. but, its always a scary thing to lock up all 4 drums and start to turn sideways on a busy stree. hehe
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:15 AM   #33
ckenwright

I love it when people tailgate me on the highway. Since my truck is a manual it slows down pretty fast when I let off the gas, and they don't see tail lights. Watching people's reaction in the rear view keeps will happy the whole day.
ckenwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:05 AM   #34
71chevylongbed
Got Horsepower?

Quote:
Originally posted by fast14
Usually when people pull out in front of me, and especially if it's a little rice burner I always make it a point to show em just what a 1970 chevy grill looks like close up in their rear view mirror and then i'll switch lanes and let them hear what a beefed up 355 sounds like!!
same here people always look amazed when i pass them at about 70mph

a couple months ago i was driving and some moron kids in their rice car threw a bottle of water out their window into my grill which put a large dent in my outer grill, took out half of my inner grill, and destroyed my new radiator. too bad they were in the rush hour traffic coming at me so i couldn't get their plate number and i couldn't turn around and scare the crap out of them. i'm still angry about it.
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4 inch lift, 35" Toyo MT's on Ultra wheels, P-Pump Conversion, AFE intake, Fass, 5 inch exhaust, Pyro,Boost,and Fuel pressure guages, and a whole bunch of other stuff "The Money Pit"

SOLD-71 Chevy C10 long bed- 2/4 drop-- 350,th400, Edelbrock performer RPM intake,Edelbrock 600 CFM carb,Crower 240 cam,port and polish,Dynomax headers,HEI ignition,dual 2.5 inch exhaust with Flowmaster 50 series mufflers
71chevylongbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:10 AM   #35
Paul72

Stepside454,

You should see the town now! New streets and businesses going in everywhere! I honestly don't know where the people are coming from!

Still a nice little town, though
Old 01-17-2004, 11:19 AM   #36
seacrow

Last August, I bought a 03 Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 with cab clearance lights, side mirror clearance ligths, and fog lights.

I have not been pulled out in front of ever since, especially at night. If I get tailgated, it doesn't bother me, I can't see them behind me anyway.

And my Power Stoke will outrun most cars on the road so they can't even pass me.

BWAHHHH HAHA HAHA HA HA HAA

It's sweet revenge for all of the crap that happens when I am on my motorcycle.

Here are some Florida road rules.

1) any road with more than one lane in each direction, the speed limit multiplies by the amount of lanes. So if the posted limit is 50 but there is three lanes, you are cleared to go 150mph.

2) lane assignments, left lane: you must use at least one blinker while traveling in this lane. as this lane is also used as an "eventual turn lane" for our friends from Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana. middle lane: this lane is used to travel 20 mph under the speed limit, it may also be used to "pause" if you don't know which way you want to turn or have missed a turn, however, you may not use blinkers in this lane. right lane: this lane is used for multilpying speed limits, taling on cell phones, reading maps and newspapers, and passing all other traffic.

3) IN the event of rain, you are required to "floor it" to get to your final destination. Traffic signs and signals do not apply in rain. Nor is it necessary to use headlights.

4) All snowbirds have the right to enforce any traffic laws, habits, or customs local to their frozen northern home town by simply saying "Back in *insert ghosttown, State here* people don't do *insert normal driving activity here*" Ex. " Well, sonny, back in Kalamazoo, Michigan, people don't come to a complete stop at stopsigns"

5) THE LAST ONE TO THE REDLIGHT IS A ROTTEN EGG!!

6) It is perfectly legal to clean out your car at any intersection with a median. All trash should be placed on the median. Exception, McDonald's bags may be thrown as far as possible at anytime.

7) Vehicle restrictions, anyone from New England, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania must drive a german or Japanese luxury sports car worth at least $50K or must drive a rusted out Dodge Caravan that smokes. Anyone from Iowa, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, or anywhere in Canada must drive a flawless ten year old Caddy, a silver or white Buick LeSabre, one of those $35,000 Chevy Astro conversion vans, or a rusted out Ford Aerostar. Anyone from the DC area may drive a small sedan, Saturns, Grand Ams, Neons, Toyotas and Hondas. Anyone from Atlanta must drive a Toyota or Ford SuV and own a Nextel. Anyone from all other states east of the Mississippi can drive anything they want as long as it has never been washed, does not have hubcaps, and runs rich, it may also be rusty.

8) The beach is either east or west and possibly south depending on where you are in Florida. Get a map and figure out where you are. It is illegal to ask for directions to the beach at stoplights. You will be told I-75 or I-95 north until you see water.

2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty CC King Ranch, moonroof, heated captains chairs, 6.4 PowerStroke.

2007 Suzuki Hayabusa, all black

1985 Mustang GT T-top, 5 spd. 54K orig miles.
seacrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:02 PM   #37
Grim Reaper

Got tell you about how I fixed a tailgater last year.

I drive my play toy75 GMC Jimmy to work sometimes. I don't like cars sitting for any extended time. It's bad for them. Well I paid $1 for my Jimmy. It's a big nasty 7ft tall trail truck. the rockers are 4x4 3/16 wall box with 2z2 sliders welded onto them. The bumpers have 3/4 INCH vertical mounting plates with clevis holes, 4x4 3/16 box for the outhers and the front has 1/4 plate for the winch deck and 3/16 for the rear deck. It's on 35's and has rock rash on the sides of the hard top to give you an idea of some of the places I have taken it. I have had to reform the fenders with a crow bar to get tail lights in it.....a few times.

Aint nothing pretty about it and it says I probably don't have insurance and I could drive over you if you screw up in front of me. 4ft of water is no problem and yes I have run through water that deep.

I don't wash it....EVER. It has Zebra dung on it right now from Memorial day. Serious it has Zebra dug enriched dirt all over it from running through the birthing pen at a buddies family's wildlife preserve. Pictures of the pit here. http://www.gbr4wd.com/TrailRuns/2003...aljay2003.html My jimmy is near the middle with the soft top.
It's geared down so I pretty well don't go over 65 ever in it. It's rarely out of the right lane when on the hwy.

So I'm coming home one day and this twit in a Chrysler (bigger than neon but small) starts tailgating me. She is so close that at times I can't see her at all!

It's bothering me. I slow down to 50 she stays ther. I speed up to 70 she stays there. Drop the right wheels off the edge of the road to spray up some pebbles she honest to god followed me over and it didn't phase her. As luck would have it nobody was running slower then me to get her latched onto.

SO a bright idea comes to me. As I have pointed out the closest thing to getting washed my truck gets is rain. It hasn't been driven in the rain in quite a while. I know there is a 100lb of dried mud up under the rockers.

I start stomping as hard as I can on the floor to get some dislodged. I am rewarded with a sizable chunk coming loose and bouncing to be turned into a nice spray as the 35 blows it into dust. Sounded like running through a gravel road at 60mph with it bouncing all over and hitting the underside of the truck. HUGE red cloud comes out from under the truck. The fist batch must have loosend up batch number two in the rear fender and qurater and a second barage of crap hit this women and that did the trick. She damn near locked it up. It was quite a site.

So she decides to pass me now and find somebody else to tail gate. Gives me this dirty look as she does. I just smilled and waved at her like she was my best friend I hadn't seen in years. I couldn't do to much more, I was laughing so hard I was crying and couldn't see much from the tears.

Passed her a couple miles down the road as the next pers she was tailgaing was down to 50 trying to get her to pass them.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:06 PM   #38
Grim Reaper

Opps forgot to attach a picture of my truck.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2004, 10:39 PM   #39
SLS
Finish the'71..or bust!

Ha! You think people like to pull out right in front of you because you are driving an older truck?

Just add a 16ft. trailer loaded with about 2000 lbs. of lawn care equipment to the mix and see how they treat you!

I swear, I think some people get out of bed in the morning just to wait at for me to come down the road. LOL.
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 01:27 PM   #40
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by SLS
Ha! You think people like to pull out right in front of you because you are driving an older truck?

Just add a 16ft. trailer loaded with about 2000 lbs. of lawn care equipment to the mix and see how they treat you!

I swear, I think some people get out of bed in the morning just to wait at for me to come down the road. LOL.
One less of these people on the road. Last night Near Gainsville GA some knuckle head pulled out trying to beat a 03 Silverado pulling a 22ft or so older travel tailer(like early 70's late 60's). They lost miserably and the guy manged to not only kill himself but killed his wife in the process.

Silverado got the car dead center the B piller. He hit so hard the trailer body ripped off the frame and stopped when it hit the cab of the truck. FD was worried because they could see two 20lb LP tanks on the tounge through the windows of the trailer but couldn't reach the valves to shut them off through the wreckage.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:02 PM   #41
jcueckert13

i dont get cut off. my daily driver is a 1976 dodge dart 4 door. the car has no grill and the entire front end is primered black. from the windshield back is a faded tan color. it is amazing haw many people wave me through at stop signs.
1970 C10 longbed stepside (in pieces)
1976 Dodge Dart
1963 Dodge Dart

jcueckert13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:33 PM   #42
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ive got a good cure all for tailgaters but its illegal. what i suggest is next time you go to the wreckers get yourself an old rambler or something which has the old time washer where its a vacuum operated pump. install this in your truck so that the washer assembly runs out the back of your truck. fill it with transmission fluid the idea being you can shoot tranny fluid onto the windshield of the tailgater. when they put on their wipers to get it off it turns the wipers t mush and they cant see so they stop. for nithg time use i like a couple of off road lights facing right into the eye of the tailgater but again its a ticket if you get a cop seein you do this. as for those who will pull out in front of you, just be aware and ifyoure in a bad mood cut em off pfreably into a ditch lol i find that the bigger the vehicle i drive ( class A trailer 80K lbs the bigger the idiots out on the road

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:40 PM   #43
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Course my truck is in pieces so it hasn't been driven in a while but never ceased to amaze me when people would try to get around me on a certain on ramp, they of course would have to slow down once they got around me, they just don't understand (or care) that a 69 truck with 35" tires doesn't stop on a dime. If I was gonna drive like an idiot, I sure wouldn't cut off a big old truck - just makes me drive very defensively I guess.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:04 PM   #44
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

I just empty my truck of all the trash in the cab when I have a tailgater. I throw half empty Dr. Pepper bottles old Mc Donalds bags and cups, old oil cartons and anything else the resembles trash. Usually by the time all the trash in out of my cab, the person that was tailgating me is quite aways behind me.
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:11 PM   #45
Broken_down?

I have that happen to me too.. I could jump out and ripp there head right off. But if they do put out in front of me when we are very close and I am feeling abit sparky I will turn on the offroad lights (--- My lights are loctaed next to the head lights.. so they get full effect. lol and let'em wish they had not done that to me. We all have these trucks and in my opinion is they are all worth more then some dam rice rocket. And funnier is if we did hit them they would be totaled and we would have a few scratches. ( and you know we would be b!thcing about those scratches too.. lol ) Just My Opinion Though..

Rich
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Broken_down? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 04:54 PM   #46
Spoof

George Carlin once observed that anyone driving faster than you is a maniac and anyone driving slower is an idiot, or words to those effect.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:15 PM   #47
dtlilly
Account Suspended

I seam to notice it more in my new truck. I think people must think that since it's new, it must have insurance.

Here's another problem I experienced on my 952 mile trip I made across Tennessee last Friday. The speed limit is 70mph, so I set the cruise at 78 or 79. Big semi trucks have governors limiting their speed to anywhere from 60-65mph depending on the truck line. These truckers will change lanes right in front of you to pass a slower truck, then take up to 5 miles before they are clear of the truck they are passing, thus holding every car hostage until they get back over.

I pass the soap box back to the board, lol.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:24 PM   #48
spencra
This, is my BOOMSTICK!

I was born and raised in Philly but have been living in CT for the past 14 years. Don't even get me started on New Jersey or Mass. drivers. UUUHHHHGGGG! :p

Got rid of my projects for now.
1980 Jeep CJ7
1998 Nissan Sentra (my car)
2001 Toyota Sienna (wife's, of course)
spencra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:47 AM   #49
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Broken_down?
I have that happen to me too.. I could jump out and ripp there head right off. But if they do put out in front of me when we are very close and I am feeling abit sparky I will turn on the offroad lights (--- My lights are loctaed next to the head lights.. so they get full effect. lol and let'em wish they had not done that to me. We all have these trucks and in my opinion is they are all worth more then some dam rice rocket. And funnier is if we did hit them they would be totaled and we would have a few scratches. ( and you know we would be b!thcing about those scratches too.. lol ) Just My Opinion Though..

Rich
I burn retinas almost daily. The enterence to my hood is not far from a major intersection. There is a sign right there that says "DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION". So damn near every day some dork that is in such a hurry blockes the interscetion and nobody can get in and out. My 75 is sweet. I just stop about 6 inches from the side with the Driverside headlight on high beam pointed in the side window at their head with the blinker right below it and a 100watt Bosch Driving light next to it.

My R20 Burb is stock but headlights and Hella Rallye 1000's are above the door sill on most cars. Still not the effect of the Jimmy with 4x4 box steel front bumper, Winch expanded steel grill and Gold and blue paint from shoving those cars around all over the bumper in the other picture.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:15 PM   #50
Canada20

holy crap a lot has been written on here in a short time.....

if I ever get my truck running again and can't get stopped in time for some knob that pulls out in front.....it's gonna be THEIR crumple zones that save MY ass...I wish people would realize that

Greg

Last edited by Canada20; 01-20-2004 at 03:03 PM.
Canada20 is offline   Reply With Quote