The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
Dangerman

New guy from OKC, OK.

Howdy

I have actually been a member of the forum for a while. I have been reading posts and seeing how things work until I could start my own truck project.

My son bought his first vehicle - a '71 C10 lwb. He had it home two days and the neighbor girl across the street backed in to the truck and tweeked the bed a bit.

This is not where we wanted to start working on this truck, but his school mates have taken to throwing eggs and writing taunts in shoe polish across the dent. So here is where the questions start - btw I took lots of pictures.

After we took off the bed and spent some time at the car wash, I noticed some things.

First, I noticed that the rear frame cross member was tweeked pretty bad. (pics 5 & 6). Is there a place where you can buy aftermarket frame cross members?

The next surprise I got was the cross member near the rear wheels. (pic 7)

The hat channel crossmember - that the rear shocks attach to - is cracked several places. (pics 9,& 10) Here again, is there a place that sells aftermarket frame parts - or is it back to the salvage yards?

If I can find replacement parts it looks like I can drill out the old rivets and bolt the new parts without too much trouble - I mean aside from removing the rear axle.

Well it's good to be here and I look forward to reading any posts that come my way.
Attached Images

Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
papawswrench

Re: New guy from OKC, OK.

First - Welcome from Texas !!
Second - I can't help you on the frame stuff , but I guarantee someone here can and will .
Third- That stuff looks like it has been that way for a while , serious fixin' to be done there !
papawswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
Prerunner1982

welcome to our addiction, where in okc are you?..
looks like you have alot of work ahead of ya there...

you might also post your questions in the 67-72 trucks forum, if you havent already..
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

I am going to move this there so you can get a better responce to your questions. Welcome to the site
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

Welcome to the forum!

I can tell you this from experience: I found two things that make removing those rivets a snap:

Grind them down using angle grinder. once flat to the frame, center a pneumatic hammer with a punch over the hole and beat the bugger out.

Alternately, people suggested to me to use a pneumatic hammer with a sharpened chisel bit for it, chisel off the head then tap them out same as above.

I found for tight spots, you can sawzall the head off, cut the crossmember almost flush with the frame, then beat the pieces of the crossmember with a BFH until the little bit of plug holding it into the frame lets go. I had to do this with my old tranny crossmember.

I'm sure you can find that stuff. Lots of reputable vendors here at the board. Looks like that frame could use some blastin'

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerman
Howdy

I have actually been a member of the forum for a while. I have been reading posts and seeing how things work until I could start my own truck project.

My son bought his first vehicle - a '71 C10 lwb. He had it home two days and the neighbor girl across the street backed in to the truck and tweeked the bed a bit.

This is not where we wanted to start working on this truck, but his school mates have taken to throwing eggs and writing taunts in shoe polish across the dent. So here is where the questions start - btw I took lots of pictures.

After we took off the bed and spent some time at the car wash, I noticed some things.

First, I noticed that the rear frame cross member was tweeked pretty bad. (pics 5 & 6). Is there a place where you can buy aftermarket frame cross members?

The next surprise I got was the cross member near the rear wheels. (pic 7)

The hat channel crossmember - that the rear shocks attach to - is cracked several places. (pics 9,& 10) Here again, is there a place that sells aftermarket frame parts - or is it back to the salvage yards?

If I can find replacement parts it looks like I can drill out the old rivets and bolt the new parts without too much trouble - I mean aside from removing the rear axle.

Well it's good to be here and I look forward to reading any posts that come my way.

I'd say weld up the cracks. Grind them out well and weld em up. This does not look like you plan a full frame off resto, but more a tranpostation piece to be improved upon, right? Weld them up and move on. These are not part of the c-channel of the frame so heat should not ruin it either, just let them cool slowly and life should be good. You can search out these parts, but chances are if it cracked on your truck it may have cracked on the parts donor as well.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:00 PM   #7
Dangerman

Thanks for your input. Welding those cracks up is starting to look like the way to go. I can't find any parts locally. I think before I decide I will check out the vendors here online.

The advice on removing those rivets sounds like good stuff too. Looks like it's time to buy an air hammer.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
blazerparts
No,I DON'T have Tourett's

them neighbor girls are always finding a way to meet a boy with a classic truck.
blazerparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:49 PM   #9
ebfabman

Dangerman when I lived in okc, pull-a-part was a good source for parts. If you don't want to weld those braces, I'm sure you can find someone here that can supply you with them. What part of the city do you live? I have a good friend who lives on the north side who also is fixing up a 72 lwb fleetside.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
jescates

Welcome to the board! Midwest City here! With as many 67-72 chevy trucks in this area, you should be able to find some parts if not a complete frame. Good luck in searching and if I come across a salvage yard or something, I will PM you. Jay
2013 Buick Enclave
jescates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:07 PM   #11
73stepside

welcome to the board from moore. last time i went part hunting in the salvage yards, carey's ccc was the best for trucks. if you get in good with them they will let you pull your own stuff. my 70 is in the midst of a frame off and i just recently traded my 92 camaro for an 86 long bed. usually the pull-a-part is well picked thru. carey's is good. most of the yards around here will have 1 or 2 67-72s. there is another decnt yard off of 35 south here in moore that looks to have some 67-72s. i'll get the name of that yard for ya.
73stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:06 PM   #12
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

If you want to drive to DFW, I'll give you a frame. It's not near as rusty as that one either.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:32 PM   #13
Dangerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
If you want to drive to DFW, I'll give you a frame. It's not near as rusty as that one either.
Maybe Tx - I just may take you up on that. For now, I am going to do a bit more research while I fix the bed. I have parts coming from Cali and just bought some new air tools to make the job easier. (I recently took a parts doner bed apart with a manual rachet - never again) I keep telling my boy to focus on finishing one job and not get side tracked. I am going to keep setting the example even though, with all the good advice I am getting, it's so tempting to start frame repairs.

For all the local Okies and former residents - I live just West of Will Rodgers Airport around SW 44th and Council.

I look forward to talking to you all again

Thanks for the info
Old 11-15-2005, 12:43 AM   #14
69_hafton
Sleep-Deprived

Just a note if you're still follow your thread: Die grinder to remove the rivet heads would be faster than an air hammer from my experience. I've seen others recommend the die grinder also. My air hammer just is not very precise compared to the die grinder.
69_hafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:46 AM   #15
c10chevy69

Welcome to the board. I have a parts truck with the complete frame that still has the cab and the bed on it that you can take a look at if your interested. I was just going to haul it in for scrap. I live on the northside of the city close to I-35 and I-44. Let me know if your interested in taking a look.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:00 AM   #16
incoma

I've found a few yards here locally that have trucks. The pull a part place didn't have anything 2 weeks ago. I work off of sw36 and macaurthur, and there's a yard over there with 8 trucks in it.

I think all of us locals need to meet up some weekend. It seems like we have alot in common!!

PM me if you need more info about the yard. I'll go down there with you, I've got to pull some more parts.
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:46 PM   #17
Prerunner1982

man could you see the looks on those guys faces when all these chevy pickups pull up and a couple dozen guys raid the yard... :LOL:
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:46 PM   #18
Dangerman

Well Gentlemen

It's almost the weekend - almost time to work on trucks.

Saturday I will try and call you guys while my wife is at Estrogencon 2005. (A group of wives all meeting to buy and sell non-truck related stuff)

I would like to start looking for a replacement cross member in the area.
Thank you guys for giving me some new rocks to turn over in search of a better part than what is on the truck.

Sunday afternoon I will definitly be up at Wiley Post Airport working on the bed. (That job is worth a whole different message string)

Hope to be talking to you all soon

Dangerman
Old 11-17-2005, 12:14 AM   #19
SmittySmith
'82 GMC Sierra Classic

Hi and Welcome DangerMan...

You will like hangin out here, lots of good folks with straight up answers.

73Stepside is very correct in that Carey's CCC is a good place to find parts here, and I guess I've made friendly with them caus I get to walk and pull my hearts content...

I'm out Northwest Okc..

Rust is like cancer..... good luck getting rid of it!

Take care, Smitty
SmittySmith is offline   Reply With Quote