The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
72gmcshorty

Fuel lines, what to use?

I am working on mounting my tank and getting ready to run some fuel lines. What are my options to get to the motor from the corvette regulator. I was told all flexible is illegal? What size line do i need to run and type of metal does the line need to be?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
72gmcshorty

Re: Fuel lines, what to use?

One more question, does the tank have to be mounted level horizontally? If i mount it directly to my frame, it will be higher in the back than the front...
Old 10-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Robznob11

I used auto zone 3/8 coated line 20 bucks for roll.you can barrow there double flare tool als i robbed quick connects off 2 donor trucks at junk yard 5 bucks each flared them and used brass to connect them to 3/8 the oe ends have about 6-8" hose to give you some flex. Other than that ur looking at 30 bucks a pop for aftermarket ends
Posted via Mobile Device
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmcshorty View Post
I am working on mounting my tank and getting ready to run some fuel lines. What are my options to get to the motor from the corvette regulator. I was told all flexible is illegal? What size line do i need to run and type of metal does the line need to be?
I'm not sure why flexible is illegal? Illegal for racing or DOT? This doesn't make sense because many of the OEM lines have hard plastic flexible fuel lines?

Thanks to (USMCchevy),I used flexible SS with teflon liner:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...04913/10002/-1

With these fittings

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...04002/10002/-1
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Dillon79scotts

i ran my original hard line that i had on the frame rail, to the end of it just behind the motor on the frame still, then adapted that to an 6 fittings and then steel braided high pressue fuel line to the rails.
Dillon79scotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
I'm not sure why flexible is illegal? Illegal for racing or DOT? This doesn't make sense because many of the OEM lines have hard plastic flexible fuel lines?
Its not really illegal;
IF standard rubber fuel line is used on an injected vehicle (instead of the higher pressure FI specific line), there are liability issues...were something to happen like a line burst and burned your car down.

For racing, it is illegal by the NHRA rules to have more than 12" of total rubber line on the vehicle. Any rubber line you have has to be of the minimum requirements for the system. So if you run carb, you can have 12" of regular line, FI can have 12" of high pressure line etc. This really only matters if you run at the track regularly and/or your local track IS an NHRA track and follows those tech rules. Most places don't give a ****.
That being said, just make sure you use the right stuff for the job. I chose mostly braided but do have some rubber in the system.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
72gmcshorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
I used auto zone 3/8 coated line 20 bucks for roll.you can barrow there double flare tool als i robbed quick connects off 2 donor trucks at junk yard 5 bucks each flared them and used brass to connect them to 3/8 the oe ends have about 6-8" hose to give you some flex. Other than that ur looking at 30 bucks a pop for aftermarket ends
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you have any pics of this?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
DavidB

I have done 2 cars with braided hose, one with hard line and one with nylon line. Both the vehicles with braided I was not happy with, they smelled like fuel all the time and the pressure would bleed down over time so after sitting you would have to cycle the key to fill the fuel line. The other two have no problems.
DavidB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
Shon

On the truck I am using EFI rubber hose all the way. on the 88 coupe I am doing I am going to try the dorman plastic line. and you can get the quick disconnects for GM and Ford apps. we will see how it goes....
Old 10-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
72gmcshorty

I found an inexpensive alternative that i am surprised nobody has used yet...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-in...ttachment.html
Old 10-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Shon

I guessing you are talking about the Nylon Fuel line, which is what I am going to use on my 88.
Dorman products.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmcshorty View Post
I found an inexpensive alternative that i am surprised nobody has used yet...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-in...ttachment.html
Cool, hadn't seen that before.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
Shon

And I will test that guys way of doing the install before Sunday.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #14
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
I have done 2 cars with braided hose, one with hard line and one with nylon line. Both the vehicles with braided I was not happy with, they smelled like fuel all the time and the pressure would bleed down over time so after sitting you would have to cycle the key to fill the fuel line. The other two have no problems.
this is interesting. Do you know what the interior tube was in your braid? I just put some on my truck project that has a teflon tubing liner inside. I'm wondering how gas could leak or seep through that? I wanted to go with hard stainless tubing but figured the price, time and lack of bending experience would make it the wrong choice.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
Shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
And I will test that guys way of doing the install before Sunday.
I got froggy last night and looked at the guys 'gun' set up and adapted mine and it worked pretty well on the test subject but on the longer fuel line connector it just worked OK. if you are going to press 1/2" into the line the 'gun' works but I was using the metal connector that is 1.5"-2" to be put in the line. I got it about an 1" in and then it just didnt work. This might have been the design of my 'gun'. but was impressed that I got it done without the expensive tools for 2 fittings I had left.

THANKS for the link!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #16
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
I got froggy last night and looked at the guys 'gun' set up and adapted mine and it worked pretty well on the test subject but on the longer fuel line connector it just worked OK. if you are going to press 1/2" into the line the 'gun' works but I was using the metal connector that is 1.5"-2" to be put in the line. I got it about an 1" in and then it just didnt work. This might have been the design of my 'gun'. but was impressed that I got it done without the expensive tools for 2 fittings I had left.

THANKS for the link!!!
Might be a dumb question, but did or can you use a little heat from a heat gun to make the fitting install go smooth? It looks to me like the oem fittings use heat? maybe I'm mistaken? Good cheap solution,I wondered if there was a way to use nylon/plastic.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #17
Shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Might be a dumb question, but did or can you use a little heat from a heat gun to make the fitting install go smooth? It looks to me like the oem fittings use heat? maybe I'm mistaken? Good cheap solution,I wondered if there was a way to use nylon/plastic.
the KEY is the amount of heat. When I tested the exterior started to bubble before it was moldable/plyable to get the fitting in.
I did boil the end of the line for a few minutes for some fittings and that worked OK and talking to some guys they suggested boiling the metal fittings (the one that didnt go so well for me) instead of sitting in freezer (which I did). b/c it cools the plastic down too quick when you try to install, which makes sense too.
If you were going to do many of these making a 'gun' like Dorman sale is the way to go. but if you were going to be doing ALOT of these I would spend the $ on the Dorman tool b/c it holds the lines and keeps them from slipping. which the brake line flaring tool does hold it pretty well for the shorter units being pressed in.

This is the longer piece I am trying to press in:

These shorter style work great in the 'gun'
Old 10-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #18
72gmcshorty

i thought the metal connector was for metal tubing or regular rubber type hose. The description on their website doesn't say it's for nylon tubing. They don't recommend heating it because it supposedly won't shrink back enough to ensure a tight seal. Brute force is the recommended way to install. I am wondering how GM molds the tubing into 90 and 45 degree bends.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

metal one is for rubber line, i thin you are correct. It has a single low barb, and its meant to have a clamp put onto it.
The second has the 3-barb end for the nylon, no clamp.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #20
Shon

What they said and now will go get the right parts.
Love it when I learn something new!!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #21
72gmcshorty

How do you connect the metal one to metal tubing? Other than a short piece of rubber between the two pipes...
Old 10-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #22
Robznob11

here is a pic of the gas tank, its not a very good one but you can tell how its in there. I don't have any pics of the lines put togeather but its straigh forward. if you go look at a stock truck in the bone yard you will see that they have about 8 in of hose and then it turns to steel just get a tubeing cutter and leave your self a couple inches of straight tubeing. you can barrow a double tubeing flare tool from auto zone free and buy about 12 bucks worth of brass connectors. all in all I have about 50 bucks in my fuel lines and it is a feed and return system the returns are 5/16 but you can use 3/8 tubeing and convert to 5 /16 in you brass fittings. coated hard line will last the life of the truck and I also like the clips on the oe quick connects. the ones you get at the parts store for hose have plastic retainers and they can be a chore to work with when you need to disconnect. I have one on my set up because I got 3 3/8 and one 5/16 when I went to the bone yard because the camaro pump has 3/8 fittings. the truck pump has one of each or visa versa its been a while I just know i ended up with the wrong size because of the pump change
Attached Images

LED TAILS
Old 10-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #23
Robznob11

also if you choose to use the auto parts store ends and rubber hose be sure to ask specifically for fuel injection hose clamps. napa said they did not have em but i looked them up on the web and they offer them in bal kamp . they had to order them for me. so that i could fix the foul up with the wrong size. If you go the junk yard rout I sudgest that you get two extra ends to plum in a 3/8 fuel filter that you can get at wal mart for 12 bucks thats what I also did Ill see if I can find a pic thats more recent because the fuel filter is not in the above pic thats the line sticking up with tape on it

LED TAILS
Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #24
Robznob11

here is a video that you can kinda see the lines and fuel filter if you paus it. Im mean it scared my kids. can wait till i get the cam and make it sound like a real hotrod http://youtu.be/KJpegbhB-kk

LED TAILS