The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2021, 02:29 AM   #1
mr.mud1

1972 Cheyenne Super coming apart to go back together

i have thread about my truck already going,"1972 Cheyenne Super on it's way home" telling the story about this truck,how it almost went for scrap,buying it in Utah and all the struggles to get it home with covid and closed borders going on,having it trucked home and on and on.i didn't plan on doing all i'm doing to this truck but it needs the TLC after sitting in storage in Idaho for 25 years,so i thought i'd start this new thread about the repairs required and what i'm up to now with the truck.i should be spending the winter building a floor for another project i have going on,a 1939 Chrysler but it'll have to wait.i already had replaced the front and rear brakes,repaired a pinion seal leak,hanger bearing,turned around a backwards installed u-joint,threw away a junk incorrect carb and built a correct 7042206 carb from a member in Ohio,thanks Jeff,installed 4 new 16'5 radial Firestone tires on the correct original rims,a new windshield,serviced the transmission and on and on.everytime i took the truck out,it seemed to grown a new oil leak from the engine or the turbo 400 transmission,so today with some help from a buddy with a gorgeous bronze and white 72 truck,we yanked out the engine and trans.tomorrow i'll send the trans out for rebuild.i wasn't planning on that,the truck has 75,400 miles on it but there's lots of junk in the pan that looks like clutch material so 25 years of hibernation didn't help although it saved the truck.best truck i've ever had.i'll pull the motor down and see what i see,then i'll know how far i'm going with that.i did finally have it running very well so i'm hoping to repair the oil leaks,change the valve seals and timing chain set,then i have a tilt column that i did some work on to install,then i plan to repair the bed sides and make the auxillary gas doors disappear and paint the white on the bedsides and repaint the green from the upper narrow moldings,up to the roof,all the way around the truck,not touching the roof or the rest of the paint but the hood is burned bad.lots of folks like the patina look but it's not for me.we'll see what tomorrow brings?
Attached Images

mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote