The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
FL71C10

Transmission lines - which goes where?

I am putting transmission cooling lines in my truck, but I can't tell which line goes in the top transmsission fitting. It's a 350 engine with TH350 trans. Does it matter which is which?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Re: Transmission lines - which goes where?

I've always put the bottom line to the bottom of the radiator/cooler, top to top. You are probably just going straight to your radiator with both, but here is a similar diagram showing an auxiliary cooler.
Attached Images

Check it out www.lsdyno.com

Last edited by Critter; 02-14-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Great answer Critter! Right-click-save

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
mrein3

Be careful if you live in a cold climate. That picture is BACKWARDS for those of us up north. In the winter that diagram might have you returning tranny fluid that is too cold to your transmission.

Up here you route hot fluid to the external cooler first. Then to the radiator to heat it up some when it is -20 outside.

I like to post this disclaimer every time we talk external transmission coolers. I'd hate to see somebody in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan hook their new $1500 700r4 like some southern boy then wreck it with cold tranny fluid.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
FL71C10

so, what do you when it gets real hot?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL71C10 View Post
so, what do you when it gets real hot?
Nothing. It doesn't get real hot. I've never seen my trans temp gauge go over 215 in the heat of summer pulling the heaviest thing I regularily pull.
Center City, MN
Old 02-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
FL71C10

I guess switching the lines only affects the pre-heating effect, as the radiator should never go over a certain temp unless it's failing or the fan is broken.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
Be careful if you live in a cold climate. That picture is BACKWARDS for those of us up north. In the winter that diagram might have you returning tranny fluid that is too cold to your transmission.

Up here you route hot fluid to the external cooler first. Then to the radiator to heat it up some when it is -20 outside.

I like to post this disclaimer every time we talk external transmission coolers. I'd hate to see somebody in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan hook their new $1500 700r4 like some southern boy then wreck it with cold tranny fluid.
Ok, if you would have said my little diagram was totally wrong/backwards I wouldn't have argued at all, its possible it is wrong. BUT you are telling me that trans cooler lines need to be connected one way for one climate, and the opposite way for another??? I find it hard to believe that Chevy (or ford or dodge or etc) would have manufactured them one way for the north and one way for the south. So if the manufacturer didn't have to produce two different ways, I don't think we would have to. I'm not saying your necesarrily wrong, it just goes against everything I know about mass produced vehicles...which isn't everything...but it's a little. Can you elaborate or tell me where I am wrong?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
Ok, if you would have said my little diagram was totally wrong/backwards I wouldn't have argued at all, its possible it is wrong. BUT you are telling me that trans cooler lines need to be connected one way for one climate, and the opposite way for another??? I find it hard to believe that Chevy (or ford or dodge or etc) would have manufactured them one way for the north and one way for the south. So if the manufacturer didn't have to produce two different ways, I don't think we would have to. I'm not saying your necesarrily wrong, it just goes against everything I know about mass produced vehicles...which isn't everything...but it's a little. Can you elaborate or tell me where I am wrong?
I didn't say your diagram was wrong. I'm just pointing out that there is a better way to route hot tranny fluid in colder climates. While my truck rarely if ever is driven in temps over 90 degrees, I doubt your truck ever gets driven in -28 degree (not wind chill, ambient temp) weather like mine was two weeks ago coming across the lake after an evening of ice fishing. That evening it got to -32 on my mercury thermometer. 130 degrees colder than a typical hot Texas day.

Of your mass produced vehicles, how many vehicles on the lot right now around Bulverde, TX come with block heaters? I was recently shopping for a new car. I'm leaning towards the Ford Edge. The closest dealer is Anderson/Koch in North Branch, MN. On my list of must haves if I buy off the lot verses ordering is a block heater. EVERY Edge on their lot comes with a block heater.

My '04 Explorer came with an external transmission cooler. I never bothered to see how it was plumbed. It works and I don't care. I doubt Ford routes them one way for up here and another way for down there. However, if there is a better way to do something on a car/truck YOU are building (not mass producing), why wouldn't you do it the better way?

Even better than routing it one way down there and one way up here is to put an "H" in the lines with a couple of shut off valves. By opening and closing valves you could route it one way in the winter and one way in the summer. In fact I know a really anal guy that does just that. Even better than that, one could dream up a thermostat controlled line system where NONE of the fluid goes to the radiator or external cooler until it warms up.

Alas simplicity usually wins out. No "H"es, no valves, just route it your way down south and my way up north and all is good.
Center City, MN
Old 02-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
eagleuh1

How about quick connect hoses you could switch around.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
I didn't say your diagram was wrong. I'm just pointing out that there is a better way to route hot tranny fluid in colder climates. While my truck rarely if ever is driven in temps over 90 degrees, I doubt your truck ever gets driven in -28 degree (not wind chill, ambient temp) weather like mine was two weeks ago coming across the lake after an evening of ice fishing. That evening it got to -32 on my mercury thermometer. 130 degrees colder than a typical hot Texas day.

Of your mass produced vehicles, how many vehicles on the lot right now around Bulverde, TX come with block heaters? I was recently shopping for a new car. I'm leaning towards the Ford Edge. The closest dealer is Anderson/Koch in North Branch, MN. On my list of must haves if I buy off the lot verses ordering is a block heater. EVERY Edge on their lot comes with a block heater.

My '04 Explorer came with an external transmission cooler. I never bothered to see how it was plumbed. It works and I don't care. I doubt Ford routes them one way for up here and another way for down there. However, if there is a better way to do something on a car/truck YOU are building (not mass producing), why wouldn't you do it the better way?

Even better than routing it one way down there and one way up here is to put an "H" in the lines with a couple of shut off valves. By opening and closing valves you could route it one way in the winter and one way in the summer. In fact I know a really anal guy that does just that. Even better than that, one could dream up a thermostat controlled line system where NONE of the fluid goes to the radiator or external cooler until it warms up.

Alas simplicity usually wins out. No "H"es, no valves, just route it your way down south and my way up north and all is good.
Ok, I see your theory. I still have a mental hang-up with it from a production point of view but I guess that's MY problem. As a side note, it's been as low as 10 deg (ambient not wind chill) here the last two winters in a row and diesel vehicles (a large % of trucks) in the area usually come with block heaters. As another side note...-32 is way too cold for fishing!

Last edited by Critter; 02-15-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
Ok, I see your theory. I still have a mental hang-up with it from a production point of view but I guess that's MY problem. As a side note, it's been as low as 10 deg (ambient not wind chill) here the last two winters in a row and diesel vehicles (a large % of trucks) in the area usually come with block heaters. As another side note...-32 is way too cold for fishing!
You are right. That is why I was sitting in front of my 22" flat screen in my heated fish house. DirectTV comes in quite nice from the middle of a lake. Besides it didn't get that cold until later after I was home.

-20 something is so cold that you have to keep your beers inside to keep them from feezing.
Center City, MN
Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
67swb72klb

-20 something is so cold that you have to keep your beers inside to keep them from feezing
or u could bring the cooler to keep them warm
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #14
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Saved for later reference....

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #15
Davidf

This tread has me thinking: Did GM even offer the trans coolers as an option? If so, I imagine it was intended only for hot climate regions. I agree that cold trans fluid is not so great. Also, on modern cars that have trans oil coolers separate from the radiator (and even the ones that flow just through the radiator in some cases...BMW for example) the trans cooler is thermostatically controlled for faster warming of fluid and to prevent excess cooling. This way, it works properly in all climates. The danger of the thermostatically controlled through the radiator only coolers is that if the thermostat fails closed, you can cook the fluid and damage the transmission...
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote