The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
JacobSchni

rear wiring harness pictures?

Im trying to fix my tail lights by just getting a new harness. When i looked at them, somthing seemed off. They are all cut up from the previous owner and dont run to a block on the frame. it looks like they run up to the fire wall and then go somewhere. Does anyone have pictures of how the rear wiring is originally ran? Does the way this is ran sound correct?
JacobSchni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:17 AM   #2
joe1982
.. !WAR FEDOR! ..

Re: rear wiring harness pictures?

In for pics!

My rear lights are a mess, my tail and brake lights stay on at the same time, and I have no turn signals
"san diego chargers #1"
joe1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
chengny

Here are some pictures of how the rear lighting is run - and a few of the actual rear harness. No particular order and no text - sorry. Probably need to use two posts.

chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
chengny

chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Axle

Rear harness comes out of the firewall, runs to the rear cross member on the drivers side inner frame rail, in this area it will terminate into weatherpak connector (if you have a late square) or a round 4 pin connector laid out simular to the heater blower resistor. On my '83, the termination point is at the center of the rear cross member. I've seen other trucks where it has terminated at the frame rail as well.

Switch over between weatherpak & round was probably mid 80's or late 80's. And that mates to the rear lighting harness with the corresponding connector. In chengys image above of the lighting harness, you can see the connector is a 4 pin square weatherpak connector. 88+ trucks use a 4-inline weatherpak connector.

The round connector is bad for letting in moisture and the wire starts to corrode internally starting at the connector and migrating along the wire. Mine, I've had to cut out about three feet of bad wire to get to some good material. I spliced on a randomn weatherpak connector that I had handy, some people just splice the wire forgoing a connector, which may be what occured on your truck if you can't find any connectors. They just hang there exposed, so if it is there it should be apparent.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
JacobSchni

thanks for all the info. I don't think i have the original wiring. i think the previous owner installed something like this(first thing)
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=188
Old 10-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
JacobSchni

i dont have a weather pack the wires run straight to the fire wall then trough. and i have a 1983 k10 scottsdale.