The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Sell to whoever? Sell to the right buyer?
Sell to whoever has the cash. 56 73.68%
Sell to a buyer who appreciates the truck for what it is. 16 21.05%
Opt 2 plus promises to at least maintain or restore the truck 6 7.89%
Opt 3 plus knows the secret C10 owners hand shake. 1 1.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2016, 12:51 AM   #1
SoCoC10

Sell to whoever? Or sell to the right buyer?

Had a potential buyer come and look at my 72 Cheyenne C10 today. He asked all the right questions on the initial phone call, was on time to look at the truck etc. While on the test drive he mentioned he likes fuel injection and would want to put a LS motor in the truck. Well we talked price and didn't come to an agreement. So he left and said he'd get back to me.

Calls me back tonight and is a hundred under my asking, but I'm having 2nd thoughts about selling such a well optioned, mostly original truck to someone who wants to remove the numbers matching 350ci V8 to install a LS motor.

What do you think? Am I crazy for caring about what a buyer does to the truck after its no longer mine? Or am I sane to not want someone to "mess up" a truck that is pretty well optioned, well documented and pretty nice the way it is/came from the factory?
Attached Images

SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:59 AM   #2
68bowtie

Re: Sell to whoever? Or sell to the right buyer?

it's your truck until you sell it. i get it.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:02 AM   #3
geunther

Let him change it. It'l make mine worth more . Kidding of course.

I personally like original, but also must admit, the LS builds on this site are pretty cool. Full on builds do not really need such an optioned truck, all that coolness gets changed anyway.

Id like to see it go to someone who will keep it original. But, I also believe in who owns it, gets to decide. I guess I believe in the choice to do what we want more than I believe in preserving what I would like to see preserved.

One just hopes it goes to someone with the same mindset.

Thats a long way to say, its a tough decision YOU got to make.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:16 AM   #4
SoCoC10

Here's the SPID...
Attached Images

SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:54 AM   #5
truckster

You decide what you want to do with your truck. Once you sell it, the new owner decides what he wants to do with his truck. Numbers matching engines don't really mean much in these trucks, but if that is important to the new owner, he can always store the original engine.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:56 AM   #6
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

This is an ongoing discussion between me and my wife with me thinking as you do that I don't want a sell truck to someone that is going to slam it and stick in an LS motor because I love them original. As much as I hate to say this, once someone has paid you and taken ownership of anything, it is theirs to do with as they see fit.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:30 AM   #7
In The Ten Ring

It's hard to imagine something original being cut up. The first online forum I joined was a gun collecting one and to even mention "sporterizing" a weapon got the comment/thread deleted and could get you banned. I feel the same way on these trucks: seeing the lowered and shortened frames really bothers me B U T......

FREEDOM! PERSONAL LIBERTY. People have the right to do what they want with their stuff......I have to remind myself of that. Once I sell something or give it away, I have no more say on what that person does to it.

If you want to keep your truck original, keep the truck. You certainly can try to encourage the buyer to keep it original, you have that right also. It comes down to personal choice. Since I have no children, I'll have to figure out who to give all my stuff to when I depart this reality. It would be nice if the heir kept the truck original but that's up to that person.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
dirtyjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
It's hard to imagine something original being cut up. The first online forum I joined was a gun collecting one and to even mention "sporterizing" a weapon got the comment/thread deleted and could get you banned.
that sounds like parallax bill's forum, I drove those guys nuts with my builds because I prefer to start off with very good condition undrilled oberndorf gew98's for most of my builds.

well if a potential buyer told me he was gonna do my truck up rat rod style with fake patina, red spray painted wheels and spider webs all over it i'd probably tell him in my best clint eastwood voice to get off my lawn. but then again I never have and never will own a stock all original vehicle because its just i'm my nature to modify everything I own in one way or another.

in all reality as long as the person does a quality job I don't care what they do to it after its theirs
Old 04-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
Ruscal

Once out of the nest the babies fly away and go as they wish.
Russ
Old 04-16-2016, 11:15 PM   #10
Ram-Man

Once you decide to sell it take the money and move on. Just let go and let the healing begin.
Ram-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:01 AM   #11
tutone

I'm gonna swim against the tide on this one. Sold lots of vehicles to folks that went a totally new direction on them and I have almost every time regretted the sale. That is a well optioned pickup, and if you hold out a little while, the right buyer will come along. I wouldn't sell my truck to any one that I didn't want to. In fact, I'd just keep it if I could.
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #12
ptc

"SELL" means you 'release responsibility of ownership' and at that point whoever buys it... it becomes their 'responsibility' to do with whatever they want to.... irregardless of what you believe or want for it.....

or keep it yourself and let it rot in a garage like most "numbers-matching-collectors".....
Old 04-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #13
Coley

Smile Re: Sell to whoever? Or sell to the right buyer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post

or keep it yourself and let it rot in a garage like most "numbers-matching-collectors".....
....or the NOS parts hoarders....lol.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:29 AM   #14
tristan

Usually I only sell my collectibles if I need money for something else and in that circumstance I am not concerned about what happens to them once $$$s have changed hands. I do have a few items though that I have put into a different category. I view myself as their steward and have charged myself with protecting their condition and originality for the sake of future owners. Your truck would be in that category to me but I can see how not everyone would feel that way.
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Pretty much anything I buy is special in some way, so I have to feel the buyer appreciates it when I sell. #3 and #4 are going beyond. Once it's theirs they decide what to do with it. I am saying I have prevented sales based on what the buyers plans were or when I saw they were not focused on what makes the truck what it is. I sold my '72 K/20 Highlander to a friend who appreciated it's rarity when I had a guy bugging me for months to sell it to him. I was actually selling the '72 GMC but he wanted the Chevy because he liked the blue & white 2-tone. The GMC was white with lower trim and blue interior. I told him just add upper trim and add blue upper and lower. He said, "But the Chevy is already lifted". I told him I'd put a lift on the GMC if he buys it. I just didn't appreciate his mentality and kept ignoring him or putting him off. My buddy hands me a wad of cash and says "This is for the Highlander. I'll have the rest next week when a couple cars are sold. What do you want for the total?". Well, I don't hate the GMC, so I took the money knowing the truck went to a good home and kept the GMC

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #16
Dirt's72

The ones in this thread don't look to stock to me why should it matter to you?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=680115

When I seen the paint job on this one after you sold it it took me a while before I could see again. 😳

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=683975
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt's72 View Post
The ones in this thread don't look to stock to me why should it matter to you?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=680115

When I seen the paint job on this one after you sold it it took me a while before I could see again. 😳

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=683975
I'm sitting here wondering why you just posted all this when it is obvious he is talking about the blue & white truck he showed a picture of. So, you are saying you don't like Grapefruit on these trucks. That's cool, we all have our preferences. But you will find a lot of people who feel quite the opposite. To me, in my taste, GM didn't use a bad color on any 67-72s and it takes a very special custom color to look right. But that's just one man's opinion.

Ok, let's get back to the topic now.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #18
Dirt's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm sitting here wondering why you just posted all this when it is obvious he is talking about the blue & white truck he showed a picture of. So, you are saying you don't like Grapefruit on these trucks. That's cool, we all have our preferences. But you will find a lot of people who feel quite the opposite. To me, in my taste, GM didn't use a bad color on any 67-72s and it takes a very special custom color to look right. But that's just one man's opinion.

Ok, let's get back to the topic now.
He stated about changing out matching number 350 motor to an ls that isnt original. Look at his trucks in the first link practically scraping the ground. To my eyes that does not look original. It's pretty obvious and I'm not sure what you are wondering about. Don't get me wrong I love the original gm colors too I just never seen any that were chartreuse. Was that a "special" paint code?
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #19
FlameOut

Personally I like the original trucks. They seem to be getting more and more rare with these stupid ls motors and bagging to mimic a honda civic, but money is money

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #20
Warrens69GMC

I would rather someone tell me their plans for their truck so I can see their vision- when they buy what I have for sale. Beats them lying to me and me seeing them do what they said they wouldn't do.

Who says they will ever do the swap?

Who says the next owner will rebuild the 350 rather than getting a Jeg's crate motor 350 for it?

If you are $100 off from your asking price, its time for it to go...................IMO
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #21
truckster

Not to be overly critical, but I'd have to ask who added the non-stock wheels and the white paint around the headlight trim. What I'm saying is that you've added touches that make the truck yours. Why try to prevent a future owner from doing the same?

Look at it this way: would you rather sell it to someone who likes the truck but wants fuel injection (and a more reliable, economical, and powerful engine) or someone who tells you what you want to hear?
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #22
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

"Anybody can restore a classic. But it takes balls to cut one up." I saw that on a T-shirt at a car show one time and it always come to mind when someone wants to ensure a buyer keeps a vehicle "all original", or maintains it a "certain way". Once money changes hands and titles are signed... all bets are off.

Everybody has their own idea of what they want in an older rig. I met my wife's boss the other day and we went out to his shop and he showed me a very cherry 1968 Camaro RS/SS. I made the comment that it would make a fantastic drag car. He was horrified.

Again, I don't care all that much for Camaro's but they make great light weight race cars. So views differ no matter who buys or sells a rig.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:17 AM   #23
trac209

I've delt with sellers who sort of question what plans are for their vehicle if they sell to you and usually I can just tell them what I think they want to hear. I'm there buy not interview as the buyer. That said when I've sold things I avoid asking any questions about what they plan to do with it for the same reason. Once it's theirs it's not my business.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #24
Dave K.

As long as the money is there they can re-enact Ground Hog Day and the quarry scene if they want......
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #25
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Once you agree on a price and the money changes hands, the new owner can do what he/she wants. Part it out, resell the next day...
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote