The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #1
72c20customcamper

A noiseless Harley really .

I have 3 harleys and a Goldwing . But I think Harley is getting desperate. They refused to put the the vrod motor on a touring bike when they had the Mt Rushmore project ,which was a blunder in my opinion , their reasoning was that it would have alienated their base riders .OMG a water cooled touring bike the Harley world would have crumbled to dust. I would have bought that in a heartbeat. But they now have this. An all electric bike.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...s/electric.htm

Really.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 08-22-2019 at 08:46 AM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:45 PM   #2
truckster

Re: A noiseless Harley really .

"Loud pipes save lives..."

Everyone who rides one of these will die, I guess. But who am I to resist progress?
Old 08-21-2019, 10:48 PM   #3
72c20customcamper

Never been a believer in that . People dont hear or see fire trucks with lights and sirens going. Cars are so sound proof now that nothing gets in over the phone calls.
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:10 PM   #4
Boog
laying low

That's no Harley. That's, an abomination.
You know they have that Formula E racing car series so you can expect there to be a series for electric bikes too I imagine.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

No appeal what so ever as a member of Harley's customer base. I see no relation to Harley or why I ride them. Not knocking the bike, but might as well be a Kawasaki or BMW. They were afraid of change with a Vrod powered dresser then blew their mold for this. It seems they want to change their customer base

"Expecting not to be seen or heard saves lives"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:16 PM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

You could have a duck tape electric cycle instead...haha..https://www.foxnews.com/auto/police-...icle-duck-tape
Attached Images

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:40 AM   #7
'63GENIII

Silent Gray Fellow, Flathead, Knucklehead, Panhead, Shovelhead, Evo (blockhead to some), VRod, Twinkie and now....."The No Head"? That'll take some getting used to.

Lets face it, Harley has been twisting in the wind with falling sales for a while due to the younger, upwardly mobile crowd wanting to be more hipster than biker. Least around here.

When the Shovel came out the purist Harley owners lost their minds for one reason or another but mostly because it was change. A sports equipment company had taken over our beloved American motorcycle company because it couldn't adapt. Right?

I still ride my jockey shift bowling ball FLHP proudly. For if it wasn't for that "stop gap" abomination of a motorcycle, there would likely be no Willie G collection or H.A.W.G. to speak of 30+ years later.

About a month ago while in Hollister, my son and I were trail racing. He on his '01 KDX 200 and me on the San Diego built Hawg ('97 ATK 350). I was keeping him in front of me (as I didn't want to roost him with my incredible speed ) and we were moving at a pretty good clip when all of the sudden out of nowhere, an orange flash blasted by us roosting the both of us with close to 50# of terra ferma.

I was pretty bent to say the least.

Later, the boy and I were talking about it and realized it was an electric KTM that had just doorzed the both of us. I still can't figure out if I was pissed because I didn't hear it coming and it scared the bejeezus outta me or because it smoked the both of us without issue. It was ridiculously fast though!

Now... before the flame job starts, let me say that I have no intention of ditching my Shovel and installing a charging station in preparation for my new "Headless" bike

I just hope that this newest iteration of the "bowling ball bike" - the Live Wire will allow the company to chart its own course and adapt for the changing market yet still have a little something for us older hang arounds who still shift by hand and clutch by foot.

Rest assured, if they don't get the jump on it, someone else will and playing catch up seldom works in the favor of the catcher upper.
Attached Images

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:28 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

There are new companies making or developing electric MCs and Harley is just remaining relevant as well as playing to it's younger and next customer base. They have been trying to gain younger riders for decades, if not forever... Hummer, Aeromacchis, 883, Blast... What gets me is they already took a leap forward with a kickass cool sport bike in the Buell and they dumped that. Now they bring a sport bike back for their leap into electric power. Customer base? Must be a whole new one because nothing about this nike says Harley to me. I guess us lifelong loyal customers of all these decades of change have become so irrelevant were are being kicked yo the curb. It's not that I dislike the idea of an electric motorcycle. Makes total sense, light and efficient simple form of transportation. I just don't know why they aren't kicking off their electric platform with a Harley instead of something they don't make.

Also, MCs are the least of our concern when it comes to fuel efficiency. We have had 100mpg MCs since the '60s if not longer. I use so little fuel with my pumped up Harley I never give fuel a thought. I get on and ride all day on 5 gallons. I couldn't afford to do that in a car that's as quick

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #9
The Rocknrod

Only 40 minutes to charge it 80% or 100% charge in an hour. That's one heck of a pit stop if you can find a place to charge it. No Thanks!
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #10
72c20customcamper

Eric Buell had a great idea. But sold out to HD and they killed it in a few years. My son has a 1200 Firebolt. I have a Springer softtail, Fatboy and my glide. The only one that didn't have any engine issues is the Fatboy. The Springer grenaded about 6 months after the warranty. The 2012 ultra I replaced all the cams tensioners and cam plate with Zippers . At 30k the HD stuff was about to grenade too. I like them but have come to realise they were made for the weekend rider . Not a serious touring rider. You should see people's faces when I tell them the ultra has 50k on it. Then they tell me their Classic that's a couple of years older than mine has less than 10k on it. The last time I went to Sturgis I was amazed by all the touring bikes on trailers.

The wing has 45k on it and all I've ever had to do was change the oil and new tires bike is still under warranty. My wife's bike a Yamaha 1100 classic has 77k and again just oil batteries and a valve adjustmen

Another company that screwed up is Polaris. Killing off the Victory to make the Indian to go head to head with HD. Victory were selling well and the guys that bought them had no intention (or were former HD riders) of buying a HD.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 08-22-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #11
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

You could sit on it and make vroom vroom noises.

Chris beat me to it. The only thing that may be kind of cool about that bike is that electric motors have a lot of torque instantly and can move you fast. (Think Tesla) It might give you a ride that you won't forget soon. But it is ugly.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

I wouldn't own a twin cam for that whole cam drive junk. Upgrade or blow the motor in way too few miles. They got it right with the Evo. It's a great motor. Many of those out there with high miles. Many long time owners with high mile tales to tell. My '90 FLST has been a very reliable bike. Only been to Sturgis once. But I was a victim of poor manufacturing. There was a short time span mine was built in where they had issues with the cast-in case pinion bearing surface... or high porosity in the left case. Depends on who you talk to. Crankcase oil was able to transfer over to the primary case. I changed inner/outer primary gasket a few times (w/best gasket available). Now I know why, it was taking crankcase pressure and is not vented. I'd be low on oil, top off, next time was overfull. Finally ended up with the black death, cooked a piston. What upset me is there was no word on this what so ever. I feel I should have been advised (before doing a total top end/cam job at the tune of $3k! They say the number of defects was below the amount required by law to warrant a recall. Like there is nothing in between? "You can buy one of our crate motors for $3k. It's a good deal". Well, I didn't spend $3k on my motor to end up with stock. I had a $6k motor! They would have sold me a left case with my VIN in it... and leave me with a total rebuild. I said huck Farley and had S&S build me one to my specs... $6k. I love it!

Tim

Old 08-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #13
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I have 88k on my twin cam in my glide. I hotrodded it a bit when new. It's been a good bike and still runs great.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #14
Troy Sr

Just put a playing card in the spokes!!!
Old 08-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #15
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Maybe your supposed to ride it and make the noises yourself?

Vroom, vroom... plub plub plub plub, vrooooom vrooooooooooooooooooooom.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

I can't hear most twin cam dresser motors with the way they blast the radio. These folks today seem they can't go anywhere w/o blasting that annoying radio. Not a fan, but maybe these will come with one. I just enjoy the experience of riding and listening to her run. When you've ridden close to half a century w/o a radio you don't feel like you need one. Just the rider, the bike, the road, and the wind in your face!

Tim

Old 08-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #17
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
There are new companies making or developing electric MCs and Harley is just remaining relevant as well as playing to it's younger and next customer base. They have been trying to gain younger riders for decades, if not forever... Hummer, Aeromacchis, 883, Blast... What gets me is they already took a leap forward with a kickass cool sport bike in the Buell and they dumped that. Now they bring a sport bike back for their leap into electric power. Customer base? Must be a whole new one because nothing about this nike says Harley to me. I guess us lifelong loyal customers of all these decades of change have become so irrelevant were are being kicked yo the curb. It's not that I dislike the idea of an electric motorcycle. Makes total sense, light and efficient simple form of transportation. I just don't know why they aren't kicking off their electric platform with a Harley instead of something they don't make.

Also, MCs are the least of our concern when it comes to fuel efficiency. We have had 100mpg MCs since the '60s if not longer. I use so little fuel with my pumped up Harley I never give fuel a thought. I get on and ride all day on 5 gallons. I couldn't afford to do that in a car that's as quick
Yes the Buell. Pretty slick bike right there. Always wanted one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Eric Buell had a great idea. But sold out to HD and they killed it in a few years. My son has a 1200 Firebolt. I have a Springer softtail, Fatboy and my glide. The only one that didn't have any engine issues is the Fatboy. The Springer grenaded about 6 months after the warranty. The 2012 ultra I replaced all the cams tensioners and cam plate with Zippers . At 30k the HD stuff was about to grenade too. I like them but have come to realise they were made for the weekend rider . Not a serious touring rider. You should see people's faces when I tell them the ultra has 50k on it. Then they tell me their Classic that's a couple of years older than mine has less than 10k on it. The last time I went to Sturgis I was amazed by all the touring bikes on trailers.

The wing has 45k on it and all I've ever had to do was change the oil and new tires bike is still under warranty. My wife's bike a Yamaha 1100 classic has 77k and again just oil batteries and a valve adjustmen

Another company that screwed up is Polaris. Killing off the Victory to make the Indian to go head to head with HD. Victory were selling well and the guys that bought them had no intention (or were former HD riders) of buying a HD.
A guy on my crew has a Victory and I can see why. Lots of reliable power in what I would consider a legit package. Probably run circles around the Company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
You could sit on it and make vroom vroom noises.

Chris beat me to it. The only thing that may be kind of cool about that bike is that electric motors have a lot of torque instantly and can move you fast. (Think Tesla) It might give you a ride that you won't forget soon. But it is ugly.
Ridiculous torque. Precisely the reason I won't be buying one. Don't need both of my shoulders dislocated at once!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #18
Tom
driving is in my blood

Well, at least its a harley without the hideous Vtwin exhaust sound, so thats one good thing it has going for it.
Otherwise, like everything else Harley makes, F that thing.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #19
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Well, at least its a harley without the hideous Vtwin exhaust sound, so thats one good thing it has going for it.
Why don't you tell us what you really think ? At least it doesn't run on rice

I'm just going to call it a Hardly Davidson .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #20
4u2nv

If you don't like that you can buy one of their peddle bikes that they are going to start to make !!!!
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:37 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Hideous, huh? Everyone has their opinion. I guess that's why the Nippons have been doing their best to emulate it for the last 30+ years. To me it's an All-American sound, like a modified Chevy small block wound tight. But some do like the ying ying or swarm of skeeters sound

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 08-22-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:33 PM   #22
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Gotta love the 45 degree spark wasting one jug hittin harder American scooter.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #23
morepwr

The only silent Harley should be a parked one.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #24
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

My question about this bike is this. How does it mark it's territory?

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #25
special-K
Special Order

And I was thinking it doesn't look like a Harley, it doesn't sound like a Harley, doesn't smell like a Harley, doesn't feel like a Harley. Does it taste like a Harley?

Also... What? No p-pad vibrations? How'm I gonna get any? LOL

I know I know, I'm an old stick in the mud anymore. A member of the past Harley generation. I used to catch crap for my Evo. This was a long time ago. I had a tatoo'd up and down long braided hair biker at a bar jam his way into the conversation I was having with a pretty lady who asked if I had a bike because I was wearing my leather and I said "Yeah".

Biker: What kind of bike do you ride? (this was wintertime. No one was riding)

Me: Kawasaki. Then turned my back on him (sitting next to me/girl on other side)

Biker: That ain't no motorcycle.

Me: You're right. I was messin' with ya. I ride a Harley (turned my back)

Biker: What kind?

Me: 1990 Heritage Softail (turned my back)

Biker: Evos ain't no Harley. They're for rich doctors and lawyers.

Me: Not all bikers from the '70s are burnouts. Some are now doctors and lawyers. (stared right through him)

As you might imagine that set a different air about the room. He didn't look too happy. In fact, looked kinda mad.

I said, "Look buddy, let's be cool. We're all here to have a good time. We're all brothers here"

Things seemed to settle just as it was about to get ugly and I carried on with my coed conversation

All ths Harley talk calls for a picture
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 08-23-2019 at 08:57 PM.