The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Sell to whoever? Sell to the right buyer?
Sell to whoever has the cash. 56 73.68%
Sell to a buyer who appreciates the truck for what it is. 16 21.05%
Opt 2 plus promises to at least maintain or restore the truck 6 7.89%
Opt 3 plus knows the secret C10 owners hand shake. 1 1.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2016, 11:15 PM   #26
Ram-Man

Re: Sell to whoever? Or sell to the right buyer?

Once you decide to sell it take the money and move on. Just let go and let the healing begin.
Ram-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:31 PM   #27
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Who cares, it's a longbed....

There... I said it
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #28
66clow

If your that attached to a vehicle you shouldn't let it go. Who knows what is going to happen to it once it's in the next person's hands. If they sell it to the next person they may not feel the same and sell it to someone that may cut it up. You never know. There are plenty of these trucks out there still.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:01 AM   #29
3drburb

I have sold a lot of classic cars, trucks and parts I have never or will ever tell the buyer what to do it them. I have also brought as many and I don't care for sellers trying to
have my cash finish their dreams and I tell them that also.
We are just caretakers of these rides when we own them thats it.
Take the money if you want to sell before the deal dies. The next guy may tell you what you want to hear to try and get a grand or so off your asking price and turn around and sell it for a profit or cut it down to a short bed and turn it to a bagged LS patina truck on this site.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:01 AM   #30
tutone

I'm gonna swim against the tide on this one. Sold lots of vehicles to folks that went a totally new direction on them and I have almost every time regretted the sale. That is a well optioned pickup, and if you hold out a little while, the right buyer will come along. I wouldn't sell my truck to any one that I didn't want to. In fact, I'd just keep it if I could.
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:34 AM   #31
SoCoC10

In 04' I bought my correct VIN#138 Chevelle SS with the # matching 327ci V8 and 2 speed Powerglide. Previous owner was racing it in the high school drags @ Bandimere Raceway with a 350/350 combo. I told him I wanted the correct engine and trans if he had it. A week later he and his dad deliver the car with the original engine and trans combo in the back of the truck they towed the car down with.
Once I got a closer look at the engine I found they had filled the accessory bolt holes on the front of the heads and painted over to make them look like the other correct 461 camel hump cylinder head. Car already had headers installed too. I decided to run a brand new set of Chevy Vortec cylinder heads and an Edelbrock intake instead of trying to find 1 461 cyl head and dropping $1200 in to recon work in to the heads @ the machine shop.
I get the engine assembled, installed in the car and the Powerglide is shot! No engagement at all! Pull a 200R4 out of the junk yard, put a Transgo shift kit, Grand National converter and a purple super servo in it and it's still in the car now. Holding up behind a 500+HP LS engine.
To this day I still have the # matching 327 short block on a stand in the garage. I guess my point is I tried the best I could to keep my Chevelle #s correct. This truck runs and drives great with it's #s matching drivetrain. Wish I could have been as lucky as whoever ends up with this truck.
SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #32
jocko

my vote is cast. I like em original, but it's not my place to say what the person I sell it to should or shouldn't do with it - or to restrict him/her from buying it. If I've made the hard decision to sell, it is then a $ decision only. Doesn't mean I don't care about the hobby, but if I had a split window vette and the buyer had the cash in hand for my asking price, I don't care if he's going to graft a Pinto body onto the chassis. My 2 cents only. But I don't think that I, as an individual, should be the "protector of the breed" and keep someone from fulfilling their dream with a vehicle - because whatever they intend to do is none of my business and if they gack it all up, well, the one I have left in the barn is now 1 truck more rare and desirable. I'd be willing to bet that most, if not all, of us have done some stupid mod (in hindsight) to some of our vehicles in our youths. Or last week. Having said that - if someone is going to graft that Pinto body onto my fictional 63 vette chassis - I'll think he or she is an idiot, but it's that person's choice. And there' no point in me telling him what I think. It's a great hobby, and it drives me as nuts as anyone when someone totally screws up one of these trucks, but, it's just a truck - as hard as it is for me to say that - and in a few decades we'll all be driving Tesla knock-offs from our off-grid homes to the wind farms where we work anyway...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #33
Coley

Smile Re: Sell to whoever? Or sell to the right buyer?

If you've decided to sell something you are already letting it go....so let it go.
If you feel that strongly then simply don't sell it.
It is a free market and people are free to do whatever they want with whatever they own.
On the flipside how would you feel if the previous owner of your house did not want you to repaint it? or change the design of the yard? or rebuild his workshop?.....once you buy it, its your business not his.
So I guess the lesson is that if you decide to sell something....forget about what it is destined for because it will no longer directly be any of your business...respectfully.

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:26 PM   #34
RedRoad

I personally price cars/parts high to keep the flippers away, if the right person comes along or someone REALLY needs the part prices come down or parts are sometimes free.

You will rarely agree with what the next person will do with the vehicle you sell so forget about it. If it is a family heirloom it makes it WAY harder to sell but in the end you can only control what you own.
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #35
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Who cares, it's a longbed....

There... I said it
OOOOOO!!! Shots fired!

Short beds are for girls!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #36
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
OOOOOO!!! Shots fired!

Short beds are for girls!

Gary

I was waiting for someone to say the typical "no one cares about longbeds" so I thought I'd take care of it!

You got that backwards, women prefer the longer version
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #37
kcsa75

I like these trucks as much as the rest of you. But when I was 16 or 17 my dad told to never fall in love with something that can't love you back.

In the end it's a hunk of iron.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:24 AM   #38
Grumpy old man

Sell to the first person that meets your price with cash in his hand , I've had buyers show up trailer in tow and after all the looky loo and searching for damage / checking vin tags and such they pull out their check book like I'm going to take a check from someone I never met who lives 750 miles away ? I point them to my local bank to bring back cash only once did the "buyer" not return with the cash in there hand , I'm not a bank or finance company , I only deal in cash , as far as who to sell to well ... What does it matter once they own it ? It's there's to drive home with no tags or spin the tires until there bald ? It's only a hunk of metal with a "cash" value .
Posted via Mobile Device
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:01 AM   #39
Matt Cramer

My '72 was hardly original - the crate motor it came with when I bought it had a cracked block and I'd put a 4.8 and a 4L60E in it, almost all the body panels had some dents or surface rust, and it was an unmitigated beater. Sure, it would have made my day if somebody bought it who wanted to restore it, but I went with the first buyers to show up with the right amount of cash. They worked for a shop that restored these trucks and wanted to take it apart to study how to do LS swaps.

Now that I think about it, considering that this was the first engine swap I'd ever done... that was something of a compliment that they wanted to use it for that purpose.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #40
LEEVON

I'm emotional about the trucks I own. I would guess most of us are because this is our hobby and these are often our babies. I have a thing about selling locally, I just won't do it unless the buyer and I share the same views, or I will sell it out of state. I had a truck that my Dad bought new, then I bought from him and sold with around 200k. It was very nice, and I kept it in top condition...but I sold it locally and about a year later we saw it broken down at some tweaker's trailer with body damage, mis-matched wheels and just generally looking really sad. It still makes me sick and that was 15 years ago. I wish I could be pragmatic about my cars and trucks but I just can't.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #41
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

If he offers you the asking price are you going to say no?
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #42
flashed

LEEVON ,the guy I bought my 72 from was just like you ,he did not want to sell the truck to begin with but would not sell it to anyone local to him ,he was afraid of what might happen to it .My friend in N Carolina knew I was hunting one and told me to call his buddy that had the truck ,he knew he needed the cash .The truck was pretty rough but I saw the potential in it and I promised him I would make him proud of it again and bring it back to let him see it when done .I told him it would be a long time project and would send him updates .He was very pleased with it when we got it done .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #43
ptc

"SELL" means you 'release responsibility of ownership' and at that point whoever buys it... it becomes their 'responsibility' to do with whatever they want to.... irregardless of what you believe or want for it.....

or keep it yourself and let it rot in a garage like most "numbers-matching-collectors".....
Old 04-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #44
Coley

Smile Re: Sell to whoever? Or sell to the right buyer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post

or keep it yourself and let it rot in a garage like most "numbers-matching-collectors".....
....or the NOS parts hoarders....lol.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #45
TheCougarine

If I wanted to sale it and someone had the cash I'd let it go and they can do what they like. I can some what understand though as you care about the truck. That being said, this is exactly why I don't usually tell someone what my plans are for a vehicle I'm buying.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #46
SoCoC10

Update on the sale.The buyer that said he "wanted to do a LS engine swap" has not contacted me since Friday. We had a huge Spring snow come through Colorado over the weekend and I didn't expect him or anyone else for that matter to look at the truck in a snow stom. A few days have passed and I decided to put the truck on EBay. I really preferr knowing what the buyers intentions are on a #s matching, well documented vehicle but in the end I have to let the truck go and hope they keep it as close to original as it is now or maybe even restore the truck.
SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #47
Ken B

I really can't blame you for caring about your trucks future... Hopefully someone will buy it and appreciate it for what it is and not make a pretend short bed...
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #48
35boulder

Well said in your last post. Hope spring gets to y'all soon.
35boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #49
1quik70

First person to show up with cash gets them, If its for sale I am finished with it. The only people I refuse to sell old cars to are people I know personally. They always seem to come back with issues!
1quik70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #50
jeffahart

I think you need an application process. When they come over to see the vehicle, instead of showing it to them.... lead them to a small office room. Let them sit there for about twenty minutes. Come back in the room with an application. Tell them they need to submit the form in triplicate within... say ten days... yes, ten days, that seems about right. Then give them a list of criteria, tell them if they fail to meet all the application criteria their application WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED... be firm on this. After all, you wouldn't want the wrong person getting that vehicle.