The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #26
Mike C

Re: What Muffler to use? No drone wanted.

I'm with Vectorit. I have the Hemi SuperTurbos on my Jimmy, and they sound great WOT but not much more than stock at idle. This is the ideal setup IMO as they have great tone, no drone, and flow enough for at least 450 hp.

My personal experience with Flowmasters (which I own and run) and the Magnaflows (which I also have a set of for a future project!) is that they are loud. And they drone at highway speeds. The Hemi turbos will meet all of your criteria except being stainless. They are aluminized and should last a long time.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #27
Indyuke

I once bought some cheapo Raptor mufflers, and was very surprised at the sound. They were quiet unless you laid your foot into it, then a deep rumble would come out, sort of like a mustang. (though i did have them on a ford 302, so that could be one reason why) At idle and cruise the rumble was very subtle... and of course no drone. Whenever I buy exhaust now, i like to get the Raptor's cuz I'm cheap, they sound pretty good and I don't like my exhaust too loud.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #28
darkhorse970

2 different friends of mine just put these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17650/
on their trucks and they sound great, with no drone!

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #29
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse970 View Post
2 different friends of mine just put these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17650/
on their trucks and they sound great, with no drone!
I've got the same one on my Yota V6......looks and sounds a lot like a FM, 2 chamber copy.

It is well worth the price though.....been through 3 years of wheeling, no cracks.
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #30
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

I had turbo mufflers exiting out the sides in front of the tires for many years on mine. they weren't very loud compared to flo 40's, but I was still tired of listening to noisy mufflers.

When I had my exhaust re-done last year I told the man that I wanted the "biggest, quietest conventional mufflers he could fit under there, run the pipes all the way back to the bumper, and keep them out of sight"

They're 2.5 in/out. They flow fine, and are really, really quiet. These along with decent sound insulation in the cab make for a nice quiet ride. I have long tube headers, and a mild cam that add a subtle flavor to the tone. I'm quite pleased with the way it worked out. I got exactly what I wanted for a total cost of $250. It's not stainless steel, but here in NV my last exhaust system lasted 12 years. At that rate I'll be 65 the next time I replace it.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #31
PHAT TONY

I have stainless Magnaflows on my Blazer; I HATE them!! Sounds like barky straight pipes. Sounds like I ran my mufflers over 2 blocks ago. Had Dynomax on my '72 4X4; nice-not too loud, no drone at any speed, may put some on the Blazer.
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:55 AM   #32
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT TONY View Post
I have stainless Magnaflows on my Blazer; I HATE them!! Sounds like barky straight pipes. Sounds like I ran my mufflers over 2 blocks ago. Had Dynomax on my '72 4X4; nice-not too loud, no drone at any speed, may put some on the Blazer.

I've heard Magnaflows on some trucks which sounded like crap and others sound great. Same thing with the Flowmasters, I've heard some good sounding setups (like mine ) and some not so much.

Just shows it may all come down to engine, exhaust tubing (configuration and size), type of vehicle, and personal preference.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #33
Wrenchbender Ret

Has any one tried the Hearthrob? I saw a listing in J.C. Whitney catalog. They advertise good flow without drone. I am going to put some on my 70 as soon as I recover from knee surgery.

Last edited by Wrenchbender Ret; 10-29-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #34
71 super

I ran flows forever 40 series and single chambers. Went to Magnaflows for my dailey driver with 6.0 and LOVE them.I have a set of borla that I found fr great deal at swap meet and will use them on red and white truck when it gets out of paint. The magna flows are the bomb and sound better than flowmasters plus stainless and look great. Quiet inside, loud outside.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #35
bigsnookmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I'm with Vectorit. I have the Hemi SuperTurbos on my Jimmy, and they sound great WOT but not much more than stock at idle. This is the ideal setup IMO as they have great tone, no drone, and flow enough for at least 450 hp.

My personal experience with Flowmasters (which I own and run) and the Magnaflows (which I also have a set of for a future project!) is that they are loud. And they drone at highway speeds. The Hemi turbos will meet all of your criteria except being stainless. They are aluminized and should last a long time.
I run Dynomax Super Turbos with 3" mandrel bent tube with an X-pipe. Mufflers are mounted under the bed, and the pipes dump over the rear. I really like the way they sound! I call my truck Quiet-Fast. It has a really nice sound that isn't loud at all. I also run a little compression, with a mechanical roller with a 4/7 swap, and with this cam, it sounds different than a typical firing order camshaft. I also have a very well sound deadened cab. .02
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #36
PHAT TONY

I don't think you can compare a manifolds/ cat. converter exhaust sound to headers/ no cats. dual exhaust. Compression/ valve overlap and muffler placement change everything too. My Blazer's fairly low compression, nearly stock cammed and the new system will be 2 1/2 dual with 3/4 length headers and fairly quiet turbo muffs. I'm hoping for no drone as well.
As for the original post, I'd think making sure the muffs go under the box and exit the body would be key in keeping it reasonable in the cab. My '72 4X4 was really good with 2 1/2 dynomaxs and tail pipes.
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #37
Ryan5O

I just had some plane jane turbo mufflers installed last week for approx $60 a piece. Still sounds like a truck...and no droning.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #38
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyuke View Post
I once bought some cheapo Raptor mufflers, and was very surprised at the sound. They were quiet unless you laid your foot into it, then a deep rumble would come out, sort of like a mustang. (though i did have them on a ford 302, so that could be one reason why) At idle and cruise the rumble was very subtle... and of course no drone. Whenever I buy exhaust now, i like to get the Raptor's cuz I'm cheap, they sound pretty good and I don't like my exhaust too loud.
I am running the raptors on mine also on a stock 350 and love them.
Posted via Mobile Device

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #39
orngsikL

magnaflow - no drone
orngsikL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #40
special-K
Special Order

I'm still not clear on what you mean by drone. A drone is a steady monotone sound,which would be like when you are cruising steady down the hiway not when accelerating or decelerating. Do these have what you are calling a drone?
Click:

Well,never mind. I guess you can't tell. I had the window open and was rolling at 50-55 except when I got it on. But,those are Flowmaster 2 chambers and I never felt they had a drone at cruising speeds. At least not what I consider a drone. Certainly nothing bothersome...again,at least to me. It may have more to do with where the mufflers are located than which muffler you use. Mine are under the bed,2 1/4" all the way back to behind the wheels out the sides,I have full length headers,and no crossover.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-30-2011 at 02:49 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #41
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm still not clear on what you mean by drone. A drone is a steady monotone sound,which would be like when you are cruising steady down the hiway not when accelerating or decelerating. Do these have what you are calling a drone?
Tim, what did or does it say on the goose or gander's or chickens neck thar ? ...

That sounds incredibly quiet for flow 40's 2 chamber.......

Last edited by RUSHNBOBO; 10-30-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #42
71 GMCDRVR

I have flowmaster 40's on my 383 with cheapo flowtech headers. Sounds good at the stop lights but has a drone at highway cruise, But I have a set of thrush welded and a new set of doug thorley tri y's sittn in the garage ready to install.
I would say go to you tube and listen to some sound clips (they have any kind of muffler you could think of) and find what you like (thats what I did) I like the rumble the thrush has but seems to quiet down with acceleration 9at least from the sound clip) I guess we will see
Old 10-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #43
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

To drone or not to drone this is the question.....

Listen to this noisy dually drive to the gas station...loud, yes...but no "drone"...sorry about the steering wheel, forgot it was there

Old 10-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #44
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Talking Re: What Muffler to use? No drone wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 GMCDRVR View Post
I have flowmaster 40's on my 383 with cheapo flowtech headers. Sounds good at the stop lights but has a drone at highway cruise, But I have a set of thrush welded and a new set of doug thorley tri y's sittn in the garage ready to install.
I would say go to you tube and listen to some sound clips (they have any kind of muffler you could think of) and find what you like (thats what I did) I like the rumble the thrush has but seems to quiet down with acceleration 9at least from the sound clip) I guess we will see
Those Thrush welded chambered mufflers are a great value...I believe there repackaged by Summit as one of their house brands, slightly cheaper. Got one on my Yota ....no complaints, I'd link a sound clip but they may kick me off the forum.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #45
captain planet

For price and lack of drone, I think the Moroso spiral flow mufflers are pretty good. Look like a glass pack, but have a baffle system in them that looks like a grain auger. I have one on my c-10 with a 307, powerglide, and 4.10 in rear. Flows good, doesn't drone, and best of all: its a different sound. Plus with a $55 price tag, your not out much if you don't like them. The truck came with it on, and I wouldn't have guessed it sounded as good as it did. Here's a link http://www.jegs.com/p/Moroso/Moroso-...44819/10002/-1.

I also know the delta flow mufflers that flowmaster makes have a little less drone than the standard series, but their still salty.

If you want more classic tone and one that no one will have, I'd go for the "chambered" mufflers that came on 69 z28 camaros and I think the 69 vettes with side pipes. Their basically just swaged sections of pipe. I think they sound mean. Companies like Classic Chambered Exhaust and Stainless works makes them. They are some more value priced options from other companies, but I don't know any names off the top of my name.
captain planet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #46
71 GMCDRVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSHNBOBO View Post
Those Thrush welded chambered mufflers are a great value...I believe there repackaged by Summit as one of their house brands, slightly cheaper. Got one on my Yota ....no complaints, I'd link a sound clip but they may kick me off the forum.

I guess I'll have to take you at your word I figured for the price I can't go wrong. They were 35 a piece and from what I've heard they sound good. I don't mind a good rumble at idle and a bark at acceleration, but I DO NOT like my truck screaming at 3000 rpm....Loud is cool but quiet is comfortable
Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #47
gonnuts

If you don't want it to drone exit your exhaust out by the back bumper. Mine is loud but no drone, I only find you get that drone when you dump it under the truck or in front of the wheels. IMO
Old 11-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #48
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm still not clear on what you mean by drone.
To Me its more of a harmonic vibration , The noise will hit a certain point when loose screws will vibrate . Can drown out the best of sound systems or just be an annoying humm.
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #49
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdriver 1958 View Post
To Me its more of a harmonic vibration , The noise will hit a certain point when loose screws will vibrate . Can drown out the best of sound systems or just be an annoying humm.
If you have driven one that drones it will annoy the crap out of you. Just the right pitch to ring your ears and make you turn the radio up. I have driven a few (not mine) that just about drove me nuts on a 200 mile trip. I guess I'm just getting old.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #50
mcbassin
Still Learning

Well, after a bunch of research and somewhat of a consensus on here I decided to buy THESE. They may end up being too quite. We'll see. Thanks for all the input.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote