The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
America's finest 32

Steering components

Looking for some info on what you guys have done for the steering linkage on a pancaked front crossmember. Need to gain clearance on the cross member. I’m thinking about flipping the center bar 180 degrees so that the offsets face inboard instead of facing the front of the truck.
America's finest 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Steering components

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's finest 32 View Post
Looking for some info on what you guys have done for the steering linkage on a pancaked front crossmember. Need to gain clearance on the cross member. I’m thinking about flipping the center bar 180 degrees so that the offsets face inboard instead of facing the front of the truck.
I guess it boils down to how much the x-member is sectioned. You shouldn't need to modify the steering linkage if you limit the amount of sectioning. The one's I've done @ 1.5" only came close to interference in a couple of spots that were easily remedied:

One side of the U-bolts requires trimming it shorter. The process also requires modifying the reinforcement plate that goes under the nut (it gets cut off/shorter in length) so that there is still 100% thread engagement of the U-bolt thread on the side that's trimmed shorter.

I also buzz a little off the edges of the x-member anywhere the linkage comes close so there's no chance of contact as the steering travels it's arc.

I've run the stock steering shafts vs. a u-joint/shaft bearing set-up. To do so requires using 63-72 or HD 73-87 upper arms (because of the smaller OD of the a-arm shaft bushings) & notching the driver upper a-arm for the needed clearance when air'd out on a bagged suspension.

Flipping the linkage causes other issues from what I've read on here. Usually it's from guys that are having issues getting an alignment. They're researching possible causes & the inadvertent flip of the drag link is usually the cause.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
America's finest 32

Thanks for the reply. I must have pan caked my cross member over 1-1/2 because the joints were butted up against the xmember. So from your response there is some parts I can swap out to gain clearance. I was going to modify the cross member but it doesn’t seem like it would work
Old 11-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's finest 32 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I must have pan caked my cross member over 1-1/2 because the joints were butted up against the xmember. So from your response there is some parts I can swap out to gain clearance. I was going to modify the cross member but it doesn’t seem like it would work
I only know what I've done & that's based on sectioning 1.5". Beyond that I would have to be 'hands on' or see detailed pics of what you're working with to provide possible suggestions.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
America's finest 32

Thanks I’m at work I’ll snap a pick when I get home
Old 11-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #6
theastronaut

I notched my frame 1.5" to raise the crossmember and used No Limit's rack and pinion kit. No steering clearance issues that way and it gets rid of the (usually) sloppy steering box.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #7
America's finest 32

Thanks I want to run power rack just can’t afford the pulley set to move my alternator up to give me the clearance for the steering shaft. I think I’m just going to cut a inch out of the pivot and idler arm and weld it up until I buy the accessory kit I want. Going to check out no limit see how there kits look like.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:49 AM   #8
America's finest 32

I ended up ordering the no limit rack called said I can run it with the current belt drive set up 2010 Camaro ls3
Old 11-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
America's finest 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
I notched my frame 1.5" to raise the crossmember and used No Limit's rack and pinion kit. No steering clearance issues that way and it gets rid of the (usually) sloppy steering box.

Posted via Mobile Device

Have you plumbed the rack yet wondering what part numbers you used