The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2024, 03:04 PM   #1
Accelo

Another great reproduction product. Sarcasm

I purchased a replacement lighter as my knob was so degraded. The lighter arrived and I didn't mess with it for a couple months. The knob looks great.
Yesterday, I attempted to install it. The lighter is too large for the hole. The factory one fits just fine. I was unable to unscrew the knob to install it on the original lighter.
Anyone know how the knobs are attached?
Stuff like this drives me nuts. How difficult can it be to get this simple part to fit? I don't even care if it works. More reproduction junk to add to the pile.
Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 03:27 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Another great reproduction product. Sarcasm

I guess the manufacturers of this junk just don't care, they get their money anyway and if they offer returns, the return rate is probably low. It is shameful. Is the first picture the original one? It doesn't look bad in the picture and perhaps it would polish up with car wax and a buffing wheel on a moto-tool, and/or benefit from a shot of spray paint.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 04:13 PM   #3
howzzzit

LMC sells the entire assembly with new bezel and even a light if you want to wire it. Their lighter will not fit the stock socket.
howzzzit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 05:04 PM   #4
54blackhornet

I really like the color of your truck ! Reminds me of the Circuit Ryder Stacey David built.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:40 PM   #5
Rust_never_sleeps

crazy, there are two standards for sockets, but they are like 1mm different.
This is more like IKEA standard, universal across most of the factory floor and no further
Old 02-04-2024, 08:17 PM   #6
Accelo

Is the first picture the original one?

Yes, I may attempt a polish like you suggested.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:18 PM   #7
Casper42

I "assume" you got a repop, as others stated they are not compatible due to size. Thus, if repop, you should have received the entire lighter, wiring and all. So your options are to install the complete lighter assembly, or find yourself an OE male end only.
Casper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 11:36 PM   #8
custom10nut

Chinese BS.
Manufactured outside the US, under a US Company name “Within Tolerance/Acceptable Parameters” and sent to our shores. Bottom Line is the people who get paid slave wages by their Government, just don’t care about quality or durability. Most Americans “Want it fast and cheap” and many won’t go through the hassle of returning parts that don’t fit.
I’ve found that Knobs, Levers, and trim pieces are notoriously ill fitting.
My fix for this is to take my old worn parts into the vendor’s counter, and comparing the parts before I buy them.
I’ve never dealt with body panels, but I hear there are a lot of issues with them too.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:07 PM   #9
damnyankee36

I never learn. On just about every repro part I install, I expect it to fit but there's always an issue.

On my next project I'm gonna keep a list of problems I have when installing this junk. I'd like to see how many occurrences there are.

Current Build: 1968 C10 (Semi-Factory Restoration)
1983 Camaro Z/28 (Next in line, Keeper)
1951 3100 (2nd in line)
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:11 PM   #10
Accelo

I found an NOS one a FleaBay.
Only $349.99 plus $8 shipping.
Sorry, I guess the imported assembly is the way to go.
I love NOS stuff but this is excessive at least in my budget.
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 02-05-2024 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:12 PM   #11
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Thumbs up Re: Another great reproduction product. Sarcasm

There is another NOS lighter partial assembly on Ebay right now for half that.
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 04:17 PM   #12
cericd

I have had NOS lighters, aftermarket and originals (in similar condition as your original that you posted). On the original and NOS lighters, the black part is painted metal, nice and heafty. On the aftermarket ones, that black part seems to be plastic (feels light and cheap). And as you've found out, the aftermarket lighters do not fit the original receptacles and visa versa.

There are two styles of original lighters, one with a light and one without. The one with a light is more rare so the prices are higher. The wiring harness and bezel are slightly different between the two styles to account for the light.

I didn't see if you purchased the entire aftermarket lighter as a kit with the receptacle, wiring and lighter element but it looks like you have all the parts for and original lighter, if you have the wiring under the dash. If it were me I'd do a light sanding on the black part of your original lighter and paint it black. If you have an aftermarket trim ring, it should fit your original lighter receptacle.

As far as disassembling the knob. The silver button will unscrew from the original (sometimes easily and sometimes not). Not sure about the aftermarket one. The black knob on the original is held on by 3 tabs under the silver button. I don't believe there's a good way to take it apart. It would be easier to refinish the original than to try to cobble something together from the original and aftermarket lighter elements.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872

Last edited by cericd; 02-05-2024 at 05:17 PM.
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote