The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #1
zimmyzoom

Another Cummins swap 69 c10

Hi guys. I am fairly new to this site and i am going to post progress on my 69 c10 truck. I am putting in a 6bt from a 97 dodge 3500. I have rebuilt the motor with a bunch of goodies from industrial injection and rebuilt to p7100 pump and all adapters and mounts from autoworld. The transmission is a 4L80e short shaft 4x4. stage 3 from Monster Transmission with a np205 with a big bore 10 inch 32 spline shaft(SUPER HARD TO FIND). I am sure I am doing stuff wrong and please feel free to correct me and I am not showing how to do this. This is just for a diary of my progress and to see what everyone has to say. Thanks.
Attached Images

zimmyzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
zimmyzoom

Re: Another Cummins swap 69 c10

These are the adapter that will adapt my 4l80e to the cummins. Also the crossmember and the mounts from autoworld and starter from a ford 6.0
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2015, 11:24 PM   #3
cooperhw

Sounds awesome to me. Keep us posted with progress pics as well as the story as it unfolds.

I am building a 68 1 ton dually shortbed stepside and would love to someday put a duramax in it like my 06 daily driver has with the Allison tranny.

If I ever sell my Chevelle this will be my first big purchase to get a salvage truck I can dissect and rob all the goodies.

I will be staying tuned in for your build.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:24 PM   #4
zimmyzoom

Here i rebuilt the 5.9 from the ground up and then installed the mounts and adapter plate. Then I moved on to the 350 and started to remove it from the truck.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
zimmyzoom

Thanks cooper. I have always wanted to do this build. Now I have a little bit of money to do it. I hope that I do a good enough job. I am not the nest at what I do but I never give up
Old 05-01-2015, 11:38 PM   #6
zimmyzoom

here the 350 came out and it will take a while to do this project as I am rebuilding this motor as well and putting it in my 67 camaro that my dad decided to take out and blow the motor, lol. Also I am so glad to have a lift and a 40 ton crane. Makes things alot easier.....
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #7
zimmyzoom

Apologize for the sideways pic. Here is the 4l80e. I have no room. I might have to modify the transmission tunnel. I installed the motor and transmission and I am having fitment issues. I have no room to run fan clutch or electric fans.....I test fitted both and I cant move motor back anymore as it will hit the firewall. so.......I am going to take off brake booster and put a late model hydaboost and run it off my powersteering to make more room. I already made a battery box in the back so I can have more space and make it look clean. I will post pics when done. I will post pics of the intercooler I am using and how i installed it. feel free to give me some feedback and maybe I can save some time if anyone has run across the same issues as i have.....
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #8
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmyzoom View Post
here the 350 came out and it will take a while to do this project as I am rebuilding this motor as well and putting it in my 67 camaro that my dad decided to take out and blow the motor, lol. Also I am so glad to have a lift and a 40 ton crane. Makes things alot easier.....
Sweet Camaro.

My hot rod is a black 67 Chevelle with an LS-2 and a 6 speed.
Attached Images

cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:52 PM   #9
zimmyzoom

Finally got my injection lines installed and installed thermostat. Took off vacuum boost and gonna install hydraboost to gain some room and stopping power. Been waiting on my 10 inch 32 spline shaft for my np205.......still waiting.....might just bite the bullet and buy a rebuilt one. Idk. Impatient. Have to move on to other projects.......on a good note though my 350 is a four bolt main steel crank with pop ups...and a nice set of roller rockers with 202 heads....
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #10
Bladeboy1998

Loving it so far! Keep it up
Bladeboy1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #11
Justin@EntropyRad

tough setup!
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
"The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods" - www.EntropyRad.com www.speedcooling.com
Justin@EntropyRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #12
zimmyzoom

So for anyone wanting to do a cummins swap in a 4x4 chevy make sure u start out with a 2x4 transmission instead of the 4x4 because the long shaft on the transmission will have the length for an adaptor. I have a short shaft 4x4 4l80e and finding a long shaft 32 spline for the figure 8 np205 transfer case is almost impossible to fi d. I finally found a shop building me what I need and much search for the long shaft. No one remakes it....ok. I got everything together on fuel lines and powersteering pump and such but I lost one of the banjo bolts that bolt into the injectors....waiting on that now....coming along pretty good. Going to fire it up this week and I will put up a link to my YouTube page to let everyone listen to it.....the 5 people that are viewing this build lol.....this picture will show what transfer case I needed to give u guys an idea of what I am talking about..
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #13
zimmyzoom

This is the inside of my truck and I have been debating on the dash. I know that for a pretty penny I can go elextonic and have boost gauge and all the nice gauges but idk. I am also trying to figure out the fuel tank behind the seat. I have been looking at other great builds and it nice to see what everyone else has done. I wish I could do a better documentation on my build like they did. I have a 14 hour a day job so I have little time....and 3 kids......
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2015, 12:26 AM   #14
zimmyzoom

So I wanna update for anyone that is viewing this.....maybe only me for my enjoyment....I finally found a transfer case the needle in the haystack if u will from moonshine mafia who really helped me out and got me what I needed. Installed it and it's beautiful. Cut 3 and 1 half inches out of my drives haft with new u joints and yokes and seals and what not. Move braces back 3 and a half inches and Re drilled holes and bolted it all in. Then I unbolted the bracket for the shifter mechanism amd moved it bacl 3 inches amd was able to revolt it and reuse the same shifter linkage with my 4l80e. Then I went to prime my pump and lines and look amd behold I had a huge leak from the fuel heater.....word to the wise......take it off and look at it and throw it in the trash.....your motor has at least a liter of diesel in front of it before it goes into the engine so it would practically be a little late for hot fuel by then...then I proceeded to fill it up with antifreeze and crank it up.....it sure it a bad son of a gun. I will post some pics and a you tube video.....oh and I had to take off 2nd Gen fan hub and buy and first gen fan hub....good luck trying to find one. I bought a used one out of Canada for 350 bucks....works good though and now I ha e an extra 1 1/4 inch of room I scooted my motor forward.....I might have to run twins or take out injectors to get it inspected.....injectors are 300 hp injectors....probably ly take 5 city blocks before I can spool up the turbo. I don't like black smoke.......waste of fuel and it means u don't have a right setup....IMO. cheers......

Here is the video.... Watch "650 hp cummins first start" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/WcFkcG3ks5w
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #15
seth7843

Your truck is going to be so bad. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!
seth7843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #16
68Gold/white

I like Cummins engines, now the metal that surrounds them, that are called dodge pickups, that's another story...I hope you scrapped the pickup to get another one of those things off the road...

Carry On!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #17
Smokey burnouts

This is awsome!!! I got a built 24v I was thinking bout dropping it in my k5. Def gonna follow this👍👍