The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2024, 11:59 PM   #26
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Re: Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCRepair View Post
Had some time to go look at the trucks today. They are in more solid shape than I anticipated, they are not perfect or showroom by any means, but the normal areas have rust.

Here are some photos of the 71 GMC.
Unless there is some kind of emotional attachment involved with this truck, I would run. Run fast and far away.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 12:01 AM   #27
GMCRepair

Here are some of the 67.
Attached Images

GMCRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 12:04 AM   #28
GMCRepair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklajoie View Post
Unless there is some kind of emotional attachment involved with this truck, I would run. Run fast and far away.
What makes you say that?

I have seen worse..................
Old 02-04-2024, 12:17 AM   #29
GMCRepair

Engine bay for the 67.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2024, 12:19 AM   #30
CKfan

Funny, 1st thing that popped into my head was "run" also as soon as I saw the pictures. However, I never do and sometimes win...... sometimes loose.

As they say, you do you. My only solid "free" advice is that I have learned to avoid doing deals with "family" as someone always seems to get butt hurt. But then again, most of my family and in-laws are nuts!!!!

Good luck on whatever you choose, these trucks are just plain cool.
CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 12:25 AM   #31
GMCRepair

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKfan View Post
Funny, 1st thing that popped into my head was "run" also as soon as I saw the pictures. However, I never do and sometimes win...... sometimes loose.

As they say, you do you. My only solid "free" advice is that I have learned to avoid doing deals with "family" as someone always seems to get butt hurt. But then again, most of my family and in-laws are nuts!!!!

Good luck on whatever you choose, these trucks are just plain cool.
Well I am essentially trading a 2001 Tahoe 1ith 163k miles for two basket cases that will become drivers at some point in the future.

Old 02-04-2024, 12:37 AM   #32
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Quote:
What makes you say that?

I have seen worse..................
Well, you did ask for advice.
You're from an area where there's a ton of our trucks in pretty decent shape. Hell I got mine from Oregon, had it shipped to Connecticut and still feel I got a great deal.
If you've got the time, patience and ambition to make either of these two roadworthy, have at it.
I'm just saying there's a lot out your way that you can just jump in and go for a lot less aggravation.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:48 AM   #33
dmjlambert

OMG, beautiful trucks! Don't even wash them, just clean the windows and get them going mechanically, fix up the upholstery and comfort items in the cab, and drive. You will get complements and thumbs up. Seriously. I like the 67 the best. The tailgate from the 71 can go back onto the 67.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:55 AM   #34
GMCRepair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklajoie View Post
Well, you did ask for advice.
You're from an area where there's a ton of our trucks in pretty decent shape. Hell I got mine from Oregon, had it shipped to Connecticut and still feel I got a great deal.
If you've got the time, patience and ambition to make either of these two roadworthy, have at it.
I'm just saying there's a lot out your way that you can just jump in and go for a lot less aggravation.
Yes, I was and am looking for advice, so I can see your point, I like to wrench on things.

I also have the mind set that it’s not what you buy, but what you build.

I previously had 2 Dodge Ramchargers, an 85 and an 88. The only slice of parts for them were junk yards.

These truck have catalogs of replacement parts to the point you could rebuild one from them.
Old 02-04-2024, 02:58 AM   #35
GMCRepair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
OMG, beautiful trucks! Don't even wash them, just clean the windows and get them going mechanically, fix up the upholstery and comfort items in the cab, and drive. You will get complements and thumbs up. Seriously. I like the 67 the best. The tailgate from the 71 can go back onto the 67.
Well. While the moss adds some character, not sure it would take the clear coat.

😂
Old 02-04-2024, 08:22 AM   #36
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

They honestly don't look THAT bad, especially with a few hours with a pressure washer.
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:41 AM   #37
dmb

I like the 67 , My 65 had set for 19 years, engine was locked up but a can of Kroil in the plug holes and it broke free and runs well. You will spend $2,000 in parts for the brakes and fuel system if you replace everything. But it is worth it .
David
dmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 12:00 PM   #38
Carl Spangler

Quote:
Well I am essentially trading a 2001 Tahoe 1ith 163k miles for two basket cases that will become drivers at some point in the future.

Keep in mind the hidden rust will likely be much worse than the visible rust and they both look pretty rusty in those pics.

Unless there is an emotional attachment to these trucks I would caution against trading away a good driver for them.
Old 02-04-2024, 12:11 PM   #39
MidLifer

Seems you're hearing a range of opinions here from those who prefer to buy things that are already done to those who like to build things. I fall into the latter category and get joy out of the process itself. I'm thinking you are cut from that same cloth.

So long as the frames are not rusted and the structural parts of the cabs and beds are solid, these look like they are far from basket cases. Could you buy one that is all done for less than you will probably spend restoring one of these? Yep, probably, but what fun would that be? What would you do with all your free time, play golf or work on your honey-do list?

My advice - take it for what it's worth - drag one of these out onto a paved surface, power wash it really well, then crawl underneath and have a look at what you can't see from above. If everything is solid, whatever money you put into fixing it up isn't good money after bad.

Oh, and start a build thread here!
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:49 PM   #40
68Gold/white

Keep in mind that the 71 has factory disc brakes. A significant good thing.

It looks like you will need to get them each on a trailer, then to the car wash, THEN you will know more (of course unleading all the crap in them. I noticed that the 67 HAD a wood. The 71 looks like the bed floor has been modified.
When you are at the car wash, clean the frames, if possible.

I see 2 good fixer uppers. If you had to make one out of the two, that would work, also. All the disc brake stuff could be transplanted onto the 67 IF needed.

I have a 67 and a 68, both will get front disc brakes, before they are ever driven. I'm using all factory parts (salvage yard).

Have fun!!! Can't wait till you get them!!!

More pictures!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:05 PM   #41
raggedjim

So basically for $750 each, I like both of them. I would add them to my growing collection of cars everyone says I will never build. I wonder where the guys who buy trucks already done think they come from?

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:18 PM   #42
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post

I have a 67 and a 68, both will get front disc brakes, before they are ever driven. I'm using all factory parts (salvage yard).
I haven't been able to find any 67-72 parts at salvage yards in 20 years! And any trucks still in the yard have been picked clean. Sad, because that's where I found all kinds of things back in the 90s, such as a power steering box, pump, brackets, and Pitman arm. Also a stabilizer bar, and even an instrument panel and gauges. Of course, that's when our trucks weren't anything special.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:19 PM   #43
3drburb

I was waiting to see what these looked like. 30 Second cleaner and a pressure washer and give them a good look over after that along with more pictures for us.

I think the trade was pretty fair.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:52 PM   #44
raggedjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I haven't been able to find any 67-72 parts at salvage yards in 20 years! And any trucks still in the yard have been picked clean. Sad, because that's where I found all kinds of things back in the 90s, such as a power steering box, pump, brackets, and Pitman arm. Also a stabilizer bar, and even an instrument panel and gauges. Of course, that's when our trucks weren't anything special.
I think he is using 73-87 parts. I still find the squarebodies from time to time.

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 12:46 AM   #45
GMCRepair

Thanks to those who weighed in on this. I realize everyone has their own level of what is acceptable and wht is not when it comes to evaluating rigs of this nature.

These trucks are well over 50 years old at his point, I have been associated with them for goin on 21 years now, so I know a little of the history of them.

They are very special to my father in law, even in the condition they are currently in, so i am a bit humbled that he made the offer in the first place, as it is a vote of confidence from him that I possibly can get one of them roadworthy, and my focus will most likely be the 71, given that i could get it running with a battery, fresh gas and a bit of ether ( though there is no way i would drive it). Plus I have driven the 71 before.

Things I found during my inspection were rust in the normal spots along bottom of cab on the drivers side, the drivers door is rusted through in two spots on the bottom, front and back. The seat is destroyed on the drivers side. I am pretty sure the gas tank is shot as well, but i think i have a line on on one.

The 67 is a 4 speed truck, with what i am told had a new clutch installed a few month after it was parked, as to why it got park I am unsure.

I am not going into this lightly, my father in law can no longer do what he would like with them, so now its my turn, full disclosure, I brought up the idea of buying them almost 10 years ago, but he wasn't ready to part with them yet.

The lat time the 67 was on the road was 95 according to the tab on the plate, and the last time the 71 was driven was in 2011, and I know it was driven quite a bit up to that point.

Again thanks for the responses, much appreciated. This is going to be an interesting ride.
Attached Images