The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2024, 11:22 PM   #1
WestButteTruck
Kung Fu Master

VIN plate restoration

I should have protected this better before the blaster had a go at it. Can these be brought back to original condition?
Attached Images

Last edited by WestButteTruck; 02-01-2024 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
WestButteTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 11:45 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: VIN plate restoration

I wonder what is the deal with the wavy metal and the wads of what appears to be chewing gum under it, how did that happen? I don't know what I would do, probably polish it with some Colgate toothpaste and soft rag and see what you get. And at least cut off straight the wads of gum using a putty knife. If it is going to be a show truck, that will detract from it a little, but nobody will be accusing you of altering the VIN plate from original so it should be OK in that condition for titling the truck, just my opinion.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:18 AM   #3
WestButteTruck
Kung Fu Master

I think the material from the blaster must have distorted it some. As for the white material underneath, I haven't looked at it too closely but was thinking it was seam sealer.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:31 PM   #4
Sheepdip

It's readable and the rivets are correct, it's a 50 year old truck I'd leave it as is...Just make sure to protect it from the painter/body man now.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 10:41 AM   #5
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
It's readable and the rivets are correct, it's a 50 year old truck I'd leave it as is...Just make sure to protect it from the painter/body man now.
This.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:07 PM   #6
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Exclamation Re: VIN plate restoration

So.. this IS available. Can't vouch for its quality nor endorsing..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254631328996

1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 11:32 AM   #7
Rickysnickers

Yes, those are available, and they are most likely illegally sold. I would recommend not purchasing one as it may lead you down a road you will likely regret.
Old 02-04-2024, 01:07 PM   #8
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Yes, those are available, and they are most likely illegally sold. I would recommend not purchasing one as it may lead you down a road you will likely regret.
Rickysnickers speaks wisely! The one you have is totally acceptable. I don't think you want to add a felony to your portfolio.

Altering Or Removing Motor Vehicle Identification Numbers Section 511 (a) of Title 18 makes it a felony knowingly to remove, obliterate, tamper with, or alter an identification number for a road motor vehicle or a road motor vehicle part.
Old 02-04-2024, 02:21 PM   #9
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Exclamation Re: VIN plate restoration

Remember the word INTENT

So.. any restorer that has replaced a MoPar E body dash pad is a felon?

Depends if the LEO is a real tool or not. In this hobby, sometimes the VIN tag must be disturbed to properly repair the vehicle.

If your intent is to defraud or commit other crimes, then by all means, the book should be thrown at you...
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:18 PM   #10
WestButteTruck
Kung Fu Master

Yeah, I intend to keep what is on there. I will try a couple things to see if I can improve the looks some. I looked into that ebay tag, shipped from overseas but it does look nice. Really just bummed with my lack of doing something to protect it in the first place.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:38 PM   #11
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Rickysnickers speaks wisely! The one you have is totally acceptable. I don't think you want to add a felony to your portfolio.

Altering Or Removing Motor Vehicle Identification Numbers Section 511 (a) of Title 18 makes it a felony knowingly to remove, obliterate, tamper with, or alter an identification number for a road motor vehicle or a road motor vehicle part.
I wonder in this instance, where it would be going back with a replica of the same data plate and vin as it was born with, if the proper LEO’s were in the picture for the whole process it might be doable, with the correct rosettes etc. I know that here you can remove the plate for repair and restoration purposes but the state police have to be present when it is removed and installed so there is a legal process for it. With all that said, if it were me I wouldn’t even worry about it on the truck in the op’s picture.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 10:38 AM   #12
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970cstblazer View Post
Remember the word INTENT

So.. any restorer that has replaced a MoPar E body dash pad is a felon?

Depends if the LEO is a real tool or not. In this hobby, sometimes the VIN tag must be disturbed to properly repair the vehicle.

If your intent is to defraud or commit other crimes, then by all means, the book should be thrown at you...
Sorry, but you are incorrect. It has nothing to do with an officer being a "tool" or not. It's pretty clear that you cannot buy a VIN plate. Thank you for your insult though. Having been an officer and an auto theft detective, I'm sure you know more than I do.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:29 AM   #13
leddzepp

The eBay vin plate is sold out of the Netherlands, probably to avoid any legal action.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 11:38 AM   #14
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Sorry, but you are incorrect. It has nothing to do with an officer being a "tool" or not. It's pretty clear that you cannot buy a VIN plate. Thank you for your insult though. Having been an officer and an auto theft detective, I'm sure you know more than I do.
Rickysnickers speaks wisely again!
Old 02-05-2024, 12:59 PM   #15
chewychevy67

I have a question. This may be tampering as well but I was wondering if you could polish the plate up on the truck best you can and Mabey just get a vinyl decal made with the wording and just apply it to the original vin plate on the truck to make it look cleaner? I assume this is not legal but just inquiring.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 01:10 PM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I have a friend that bought a new vin tag for his 67 from I believe the same place. His original was damaged. It looks spot on to me.

I dont know if the place required a look of his old one or if he just told them the numbers.

Im surprised the blasting company didnt tape the OP's over good before they blasted. Ive had a couple vehicles blasted now and they taped over them well enough so they werent damaged.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 01:32 PM   #17
68 C10 Driver

So, being up-front, I was in law enforcement for a while. There are exemptions to Federal law that would allow one to remove their VIN plate. The kicker is checking your state law to see if they are OK with doing what you want to do. If you retain the original in the glove box to show the new one is a direct copy of the old one you may be OK, BUT...check with your state.

Here is an excerpt of the Federal law:

Section 511(a) of Title 18 makes it a felony knowingly to remove, obliterate, tamper with, or alter an identification number for a road motor vehicle or a road motor vehicle part. Section 511(b) of Title 18 creates exceptions for certain persons who engage in lawful conduct that may result in removal or alteration of an identification number. The legislative history is abundantly clear that subsection (b) is not intended to create a loophole for the operators of "chop shops." See H.R.Rep. No. 1087 on H.R. 6257, 98th Congress, 2d Sess. 23-25 (1984).

Exemptions to VIN tampering in Federal Law:

(2) The persons referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection
are--
(A) a motor vehicle scrap processor or a motor vehicle
demolisher who complies with applicable State law with respect to
such vehicle or part;
(B) a person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the removal,
obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary for
the repair;
(C) a person who restores or replaces an identification number
for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law;
and
(D) a person who removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a
decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor
Vehicle Theft Prevention Act, if that person is the owner of the
motor vehicle, or is authorized to remove, obliterate, tamper with
or alter the decal or device by--
(i) the owner or his authorized agent;
(ii) applicable State or local law; or
(iii) regulations promulgated by the Attorney General to
implement the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act.

...The lawful removals can be found in 18 U.S.C. §§ 511(b) and 512(a)(3). Under subsection 511(b), these lawful exceptions do not apply if the person knows that the motor vehicle or part is stolen. Except for the area of "repair," these exceptions should cause no significant enforcement problem. The relevant portion of H.R.Rep. No. 1089 on H.R. 6257, 98th Cong., 2d Sess. 23-25 (1984), makes clear that the "repair" exception is intended for the protection of the honest body shop operator who while fixing a part does some injury to its identification number. The exception "is not intended to apply to the operators of "chop shops,' who remove such parts - not repairing or recycling them for lawful purposes." Most of the states that are parties to the interstate compact, which created the Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission (VESC), have established under their respective state laws, procedures for the restoration and replacement of missing identification numbers. See Regulation VESC-18, Standardized Replacement Vehicle Identification Number System.

Bottom line, check with your state. Let them know you are the owner and are conducting a restoration of your vehicle.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:31 PM   #18
WestButteTruck
Kung Fu Master

Good idea with checking with local and state laws first. I don't plan to remove it, but I do plan to check and see what the law is here in MT just out of curiosity now. Thanks for all the replies. As you can see, I have a lot of work to do on this thing. lol
Old 02-05-2024, 08:47 PM   #19
72c20customcamper

We used to remove vin plates regularly in the 70s and 80s at my uncles shop . There is a process of going through DMV who sends a state trooper to verify the vin that’s being removed . And again at the time it’s reattached to the door post . As long as all the info is correct the trooper signs off on it . We were even able to get the correct rivets . Paperwork must remain with the vehicle ( not physically) and given to any subsequent owner . Some states have their own laws that may be much more stringent than the federal law
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote