The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
moggey01

The Mother Trucker.. FX Race Cars, Porterbuilt, Dyess Designs 68 coil over build

Ok , this thing has been in the works for a while. I have been through 3 lay offs since 09 so hopefully I can keep it going for a while. The truck is a 69 that is getting 68 sheetmetal up front. New floors cab corners the usual will be done by Robert Follmer at FX race cars in Tomball, Texas. I have Nate Porters coilover dropmember and rear . There is also alot of custom parts being made like brakes from The Brake Man, and shocks from Penske etc. that where built just for the C/10, and Nates suspension. There will be a body drop from Nathan as well as other stuff from him. The plan is to get the cab sheetmetal fixed, chop the top, flush mount glass, rollbar, tubs, etc. There is a whole lot of changes that will be made so it wont happen over night.
moggey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
moggey01

Re: The Mother Trucker.. FX Race Cars, Porterbuilt, Dyess Designs 68 coil over build

Now trying to add photos
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: The Mother Trucker.. FX Race Cars, Porterbuilt, Dyess Designs 68 coil over build

I love it when ambition, money and talent collide. This promises to be a fun one.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
chapster

I am in for this one......looks like it is going to be a great build. Tell us more about the PB trailing arms with bracing?

Cheers
Posted via Mobile Device
1967 GMC shorty Parts Pile: NoLimit, Accu Air, Kore 3, Matts Classic Bowtie, March Performance, Lokar, ScottsHot Rods, Vintage Air, American Auto Wire, Circle D, Accu Air, Borla, Budnik, Ididit, One Piece Windows, Doug Thorley, Pypes, AutoLoc, Porterbuilt, CPP, Dynamat, Dakota Digital, Fesler

1968 Chevy c10 shorty Stepper (Patina LS project)
1967 gmc custom Long Box (Farm Truck Project)
chapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
moggey01

LOL Funny story, The trailing arms are the stoutest version Nate offers. When he went to bend them they actually broke his bender. So everyone can point the finger at me for the delays when he had to get a new bender. Now for the bracing , when I showed them to Robert his concern was flex at the bend when the truck leaves the starting line. There will be an additional link added from the top of the axle tube to the top of the trailing arm that uses clevices for ends. The point is there will be alot of stress on the Ubolt. So its just something to try to eliminate a possibility of a problem. The rear end is a Rick Jones (Quarter Max) chromoly piece with 3.5 axle tubes. The bracing is not welded on the housing yet because it has to have the perches welded and everything fit. Just making like a bolt in ladder bar with all stock mount locations .
Old 10-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
moggey01

Zoomin, I have the ambition, there is a ton of talent involved in my project, (THANKS EVERYONE) but the money part is lacking.. cant have enough for this type of project.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
chapster

Very interested in seeing your rear suspension set up when you get there...

Cheers
Posted via Mobile Device
1967 GMC shorty Parts Pile: NoLimit, Accu Air, Kore 3, Matts Classic Bowtie, March Performance, Lokar, ScottsHot Rods, Vintage Air, American Auto Wire, Circle D, Accu Air, Borla, Budnik, Ididit, One Piece Windows, Doug Thorley, Pypes, AutoLoc, Porterbuilt, CPP, Dynamat, Dakota Digital, Fesler

1968 Chevy c10 shorty Stepper (Patina LS project)
1967 gmc custom Long Box (Farm Truck Project)
chapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
moggey01

Cory at The Brake Man sent an email of the front brake kit he made for me. I should have everything for the front except a rack within the next week or so
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
67cheby
67cheby

wow....sick BRAKES !!
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #10
moggey01

Chapster ,you can get an idea of what I am talking about with this rearend . It has a top bar that runs from thetop of the housing to the bottom bar and bolts in. This particular rear end was made of solid chromoly plate and milled to the deminsions he wanted and pocket milled to lighten it. You will notice there are no round tubes LOl. Then it was welded together.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
moggey01

And some more pics .... Hopefully I can get this new camera figured out before long. Anyway this is the core support , front suspensions components and rear shocks I am using. Engine and trans are out as of today , so next week I will start mocking stuff up, cutting rivets , and more weighing of parts to compare weights.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Those are some really cool pieces. What is the end game for this puppy?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
moggey01

End Game ?? I really dont know where or WHEN it will end. Truithfully I would like to take it on the Hot Rod Power tour when done. It will be a driver . I have always had cars that where street legal . I got hooked on drag racing so that has alot of influence on me. I do design work for people and work with them on differant ideas (mainly custom car renderings or paint designs). I work full time as a machinist so I dont have any time for my art business. I just have some ideas I want to try and I like to mess with fabricating parts, or detailing them. I have worked with alot drag racers that did really well. Best I can tell you is it will be changed a bunch to look like a truck built in 2012 or 2015 LOL , yet still have the 68, lines that I love. I want to drive it to the local car shows and to the race track. Current engine is a big block with 1 carb and nitrous, I may change that to twin turbos later down the road. I was big into street racing back in the day, raced with guys in NHRA Comp Eliminator, Pro Stock Truck, Pro Stock, then NMCA and local outlaw cars. I just want to do something a little differant I guess.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #14
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

It's already a cool SOB. It's going to be fun watching this come together.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #15
moggey01

I could not get to work on the truck last weekend, I had to (help) design my God Sons fall festival poster , and do a new shirt logo for FX race cars. Anyway the brakes are here so here are some pics so you can see the work Cory did as well as my spindle lightening LOl . Hopefully I will get to work on rivet removal Sunday . I did hear from Taylor at TRE and my intake has arrived so the induction side of the engine will be comming together . Probably at the end of the year will be mocked up so headers and an air pan can be built for the truck .
Attached Images

Last edited by moggey01; 10-26-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #16
bk2life
Account Suspended

those are pretty trick rotors. reminds me of motorcycle stuff.

are these off the shelf parts? i wouldnt mind a set..
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #17
moggey01

I had a kit made. Nobody has a lightweight kit for a C/10 spindle. They do have rotors and hats , calipers for sale, but the hub was a Camaro hub machined to fit the larger bearings for a C/10 . I made my own brackets to mount the calipers for that spindle. There was alot of work put into the brakes from Cory, and I think the custom shop has been shut down because they have so much work for off the shelf stuff. If you want parts they are not a problem to get but you might have to make your own brackets or machine some stuff.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
moggey01

Here is a drawing I did to try to get an idea of some of modifications to the body , as well as paint ideas . I am not sure what color I want yet . I had a 68 camaro that was LeMans blue and white so I tried it on the truck .
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #19
moggey01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJs69CST View Post
Looking great!
Thanks a bunch .. 1 day it will be finished ..1 day. I will have more pics after this Sunday , I did not have time last Sunday. I can vouch for the weight removal with the Porterbuilt coil over set up and my parts . It is right at 200 lbs with wheels and tires and the steering and suspension components. Thanks for checking out my thread everyone.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:32 AM   #20
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Can you tell us more about the core support....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #21
moggey01

Its an AutoRad core support . I have their radiator ,fans ,condensor and core support . Its aluminum sheet metal double sided . Really nice work . If you figure the weight of the stock 2 core and steel core support with a clutch fan this set up is about 24lbs lighter with a much bigger radiator and a condensor included . I may end up with the radiator mounted in the bed of the truck to move more weight , holding off on that one for now.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #22
Hduramax

Going to b a nice build, i am in. maybe i will c you on the tour it sounds like a good goal date for me too, lol
Posted via Mobile Device
1969 C-10 (under Construction)
2013 Sonic LT
"LIVE LIFE,TASTE DEATH"
Hduramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #23
moggey01

Ok , here is my second drawing . I like the black and white , but do not want it to look like the 468 Bowtie truck (I like that truck alot by the way). The plan is to make my own front bumper so I would airbrush the bumper and trim. Just want to know what you all think. I am not sure about the SS stripes , but I have a few ideas for them as well . Let me know what you think.
Mark
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #24
moggey01

And a few more pics. Now its almost all the way torn down. I will do more rivet removal and start test fitting the drop member stuff and the body drop. I will have a few more later but it wont change a whole lot. I am nickel plating alot of the crossmembers and body mounts that is the reason for the test fit .
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #25
mightymouse

man this is going to be killer! i'm subscribed , i like the drawing too. i want one like that but orange and white , keep it up !...jw
mightymouse is offline   Reply With Quote