The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2016, 02:02 AM   #1
dazza

Stop tripping and recycle...

So I needed to find a solid solution for mounting my Hickey toolbox underneath my cab. From what I've seen/read, these were made to size to mount to the inner fender, under the hood. A great spot I agree, but I'm not wanting it too cluttered under there, so I figured up under the cab, out of the way would be great… if I could figure out a way to mount it very solid and be able to have it drop down for access.

I had tried fabbing together a hinged mount with garage door parts I had, and while the drop down part worked well, it just didn't seem secure enough to hold it firmly in place for too long. A few days ago I was looking around the garage for something hinged that may work, when I spotted a push scooter that a friends kid had left here. Handlebars and a standing platform attached by a big aluminum hinge. Almost perfect. Since I have no kids, the only toys I trip on around here are my own, and I don't own any push scooters, so after a quick search of Craigslist and a 15 minute drive, I was the owner of two used scooters - for $5. each! These are older models with the aluminum hinges, I'm not sure how well the newer ones would hold up because it looks like their hinges are made of plastic.

I stopped by the Ag Supply store and had them cut me a piece of 1/2" Aluminum and some stainless hardware for mounting, just under $40 out the door. After cutting the scooter platform down to the correct length, I cut part of the center and flattened the smaller piece of the platform to mount on the 1/2" aluminum piece, which was drilled and mounted to the four bolts on the rocker (longer stainless bolts used in place of factory ones). Drilled holes in the platforms to mount the toolbox, bolted it up and adjusted.

I'm surprised at how well this thing fits and how solid it is. It swings down perfectly and as an extra bonus, the door doesn't hit the ground when fully opened (something I forgot to check with initial measurements). When in the up position, it does not show unless you get down to look under the truck and is not hanging low enough to be a problem.

So next time you trip on one of your kids toys in the yard, don't get mad, just take a second to think about how you might be able to recycle it into something more useful than lawn art!

---

- beautiful $5. hinges at the Craigslist store!

Name:  0File-IMG_5756.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  49.9 KB

- cut, attached to 1/2" aluminum plate, and ready to be mounted

Name:  1File-IMG_5762.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  41.3 KB

- ready to be mounted and mounted

Name:  2File-IMG_5775.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  40.8 KB

- mounted without toolbox

Name:  4File-IMG_5795.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  31.7 KB

- now you see it, now you don't

Name:  5File-Mar-27,-4-13-35-PM.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  36.9 KB
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:03 AM   #2
dazza

Re: Stop tripping and recycle...

---

Name:  6File-Mar-27,-10-55-43-PM.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  41.3 KB
---- ----
Old 03-28-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
yuccales

Very well done!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

That's a tricky Hickey thingy you did right there. Used the ole noggin' and done come up with sumthin' pure clever

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #5
dazza

Thanks, I'm still thinking I missed something because it went too smoothly and there's nothing for me to have to redo or adjust... just seems a bit odd to me.

and thanks Tim for putting two words together like I've never seen/heard before... "pure clever" - very nice!
---- ----
Old 03-29-2016, 12:31 AM   #6
El Dorado Jim

looks great, what box did you use? please post pics of the box opened up....
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:42 AM   #7
AKC

I like it. I like it a lot...
Old 03-29-2016, 03:19 AM   #8
dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
looks great, what box did you use? please post pics of the box opened up....
It's a Hickey box I picked up on eBay a few years ago, measures 4.5 x 8.5 x 24.125 Not very deep but plenty of room for extra accs, tow straps, tools, etc.

Name:  6File-Mar-29,-12-10-50-AM.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  57.8 KB

Name:  7File-Mar-28,-11-50-49-PM.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  74.6 KB

It tucks up well above the height of my transfer case (orange).

Name:  9File-Mar-28,-11-59-38-PM.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  72.9 KB

It also has plenty of clearance in case I forget to swing it back up under the cab.

Name:  8File-Mar-28,-11-51-14-PM.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  93.3 KB
---- ----
Old 03-31-2016, 01:19 AM   #9
El Dorado Jim

thanks for the pics, you did an awesome job mounting it!
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:10 AM   #10
dazza

thanks, just hope I did the same with the stuff that's going to make her roll down the road!
---- ----
Old 03-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #11
jeffahart

Nice work Dazza. Storage space is at premium on these old trucks. I got my ropes and snatch block crammed by the jack behind my seat and my 20' remote switch under the seat with a few tools. I'm running out of space!

Nice

Bet your kids keep their toys picked up now.... fear motivation... don't let dad touch your hover board... it will end up on the Chevy!
Old 03-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #12
In The Ten Ring

What an excellent idea!

I am a bit concerned about the lock on the box.....when stowed, is the door facing downwards?

Keep up with this idea though, you'll get testing in on your own rig....you could have a money-maker there. I love tools (my car truck has just about everything, including a 3 foot cheater bar) and the only reason I want to move my truck's fuel tank is to clear up space for more tools.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:45 PM   #13
cleszkie

I'd consider adding some shelves in the box, so when it is swung down and open, you can load it up easier instead of having to pile stuff in the bottom and slam the lid shut before stuff tumbles out. The shelves would also act as baffles to keep the stuff from moving around so much and making noise when the box is swung up. The shelves would be made to fit specific pieces of equipment or tools. Might even be made out of wood and just slid in there.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:10 PM   #14
dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Bet your kids keep their toys picked up now.... fear motivation... don't let dad touch your hover board... it will end up on the Chevy!
Well, my kids are of the nieces and nephews type, my only real kid is my truck! But now you have me thinking... a hover board... hmmm.

Quote:
I am a bit concerned about the lock on the box.....when stowed, is the door facing downwards?
When stowed, the lock is facing out, under the rocker. So far a heavy duty lock is what will go there, and although you can't see it unless you are crawling around looking for it, I may put some kind of cover that has easy access but keeps it from view. Maybe some little trick to move the cover aside. Above all that, I'm hoping my security system will be enough that myself or the Black Ops I have sleeping in the bed will be there before the lock can be cut!

Quote:
I'd consider adding some shelves in the box, so when it is swung down and open, you can load it up easier instead of having to pile stuff in the bottom and slam the lid shut before stuff tumbles out. The shelves would also act as baffles to keep the stuff from moving around so much and making noise when the box is swung up. The shelves would be made to fit specific pieces of equipment or tools. Might even be made out of wood and just slid in there.
Shelves or dividers are a great idea! I started to put my snatch block in there but realized that is a whole different project! The snatch block alone is pretty heavy. I bought this magnetic pad (pictured below) a few years back(I can't remember where, I thought HF but don't see them there now) and I cut it in half for something else. Anyways, it's very strong and hold things nicely so smaller loose things shouldn't fly around. I hope.
Attached Images

---- ----