The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2015, 12:06 AM   #1
OlSmokey

Emissions rant.

today i took my truck to get emissions tested. it failed. the idle was too rich they said. but that's not what i'm upset about. what i am upset about is the fact that those clowns found a way to break the coupler between the steering shaft and the gearbox. i have no clue how i did it, and they keep claiming that they didn't do it. so that's 50$ out of my pocket to fix something that they did idiotically. this is absolutely ridiculous that i have to deal with this from a goverment program that should have the peoples best interest in mind. what a big joke.
OlSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:27 AM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Emissions rant.

I'm with you Brother. My '71 Jimmy is in the ADEQ doghouse for both high CO and HCs right now. I tore the AFB apart and we found a lot of things to do in rebuilding it. Also changed oil and filter, new PAPER air cleaner [-- the K&N always flunks], new PCV, fuel filter, and a few other things before I go back for my 1st [free] retest.
This year I was shocked by the emissions guy asking if I minded if he test ran my truck on the rollers, after I had trouble keeping at 32 MPH steady. I let him, but I hate anybody else handling my rig. They never used to want to drive an old manual truck themselves. I guess if they ask "if you mind" you can always say NO, citing your previous breakage.
Pima County is a little looser than Maricopa as far as the emissions requirements. I was working in Mesa the summer of 2006, and tried to go thru emissions in PHX. When the guy tried to look under my hood, I called it off. And later ran it thru while home on a weekend.
For years, I registered my pickup in Pinetop, where emissions testing was not required, but you can't get away with that now.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:46 AM   #3
OlSmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
For years, I registered my pickup in Pinetop, where emissions testing was not required, but you can't get away with that now.
could i ask why you can't get away with that now? I actually own property in snowflake and was just thinking i'd register it there, so i could bypass emissions. did they crack down on that? how would they enforce it?
Old 07-10-2015, 03:38 AM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlSmokey View Post
could i ask why you can't get away with that now? I actually own property in snowflake and was just thinking i'd register it there, so i could bypass emissions. did they crack down on that? how would they enforce it?
Cuz my Mom sold our place in Pinetop, and I no longer had a legit reason for an out-of-town address.
I don't know how they could prove you didn't actually live in Snowflake, as long as your Driver's License had a matching White Mountain address to support your ''cover story''. If you run into the same cop twice, and he remembers you as that guy from Snowflake, and you look a little too much like a dude from the Valley -- well you're on your own.
Free legal advice from some guy on the internet isn't worth much.
Seriously, all you have to do is adjust the carb?

Old 07-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Cuz my Mom sold our place in Pinetop, and I no longer had a legit reason for an out-of-town address.
I don't know how they could prove you didn't actually live in Snowflake, as long as your Driver's License had a matching White Mountain address to support your ''cover story''. If you run into the same cop twice, and he remembers you as that guy from Snowflake, and you look a little too much like a dude from the Valley -- well you're on your own.
Free legal advice from some guy on the internet isn't worth much.
Seriously, all you have to do is adjust the carb?
If you qualify and can get "collectable/classic car insurance on your truck they are exempt from emission testing "anywhere in the state". Haggerty, Grundy, etc.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

They might have done you a favor... would you have rather had it break doing 70mph down the interstate?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
65standard

Emissions on a non catalyst truck? Glad I don't worry about that

1953 Chevy 3100 392 Hemi w/727 & 9” Ford
1985 Chevy C/10 6.0L 4L80 373 locker
65standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #8
indymachinist

Wow. Pretty sure all these old trucks are exempt around here. Thank god. Emmisions testing sounds terribly annoying.
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
blue 72 gmc 4x4

Good thing I live in Flag! Don't miss phx or it's emissions testing.
1969 Chevy C/30 Bruiser
1972 GMC (Wrecked)
1972 GMC pickup..old blue

Restored Vent Windows
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=766598

1955 GMC hydramatic build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429417

blue 72 gmc 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #10
jeffahart

Did you go to one of those quickie McDonalds drive through smog shops? You need to go to one with normal people. If they work at a quickie stop and look like a butthole, they talk like a butthole, they only provide a service mandated by buttholes, then the work quaility is going to stink. I dislike those quickie shops. I think they're buttholes! They should have tweaked your system and you should have passed. Why didn't they.... well I just spelled it.

Annoying for sure. I live in California, its a sore subject for me!
Old 07-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #11
Sklptrljay

Wow. For once I can actually say there are less government restrictions on something here in communist California.

We don't have to smog any vehicle '75 or older.

I watched a speedy lube place open the door of my (then) very new Tahoe into a hoist, and then try to tell me they didn't do it. I got the manager and point blank called the employee a liar to their face. It got taken care of, but needless to say I just decided to change my own oil after that.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #12
ekgguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
If you qualify and can get "collectable/classic car insurance on your truck they are exempt from emission testing "anywhere in the state". Haggerty, Grundy, etc.
Don't even have to do that here in Texas. I have Travelers Insurance along with the rest of our cars.

I registered mine as an ANTIQUE and there is no emissions testing and I only have to register is every 3 years. There are some driving restrictions, but I pretty much drive it when I need and have never been questioned.

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=672655

"Father thank you for the gathering of friends, Father we give thanks for all the choices we've made because that's what makes us who we are, let us forever cherish the loved ones we've lost along the way and most of all THANK YOU FOR FAST CARS!"
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Emissions check ? On a pre 1974 vehicle ? Wow never heard that one before ,,,,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #14
Jurassic-1

I have a 1962 Corvette , a 1972 Blazer , A 1966 C10, A 1970 CST and a 1955 3100 pickup all registered for 5 years and no emissions I have collector plates on a couple and an original 1955 plate on 1 and regular AZ plate on the 66. They are insured as classics and do not require emissions in AZ .
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #15
MagmaJct

I have had to go through "smog" testing in California, and now emissions testing in Arizona. Back when I lived in California, the cutoff was somewhere around 67 - 69. I had (still have, actually) a '74 VW Super Beetle.

I was a *itch getting it tested in California. Licensed smog shops don't have to test your vehicle. They can out right turn you away! I once had a shop do that. They suggested I "go down the street" where they claimed there was another shop that tested VWs. I went down the street right into a residential area!

Another time, I got a mechanic that was afraid of adjusting the mixture! He acted as if it was a foreign concept to him. When I went to adjust it myself with my own tools, he insisted on making the adjustment himself. Suddenly, he seemed like he knew what he was doing. That is, until he got about 30 seconds into adjusting it when he gave up and sent me away!

One of the last shops I went to before I moved in 1999, the mechanic told me how much he loathed VWs as we walked to my car for his "visual" inspection. He ranted on about how he worked for VW for x-number of years and he just hates the sight of them. He opened the hood and told me he'd fail it right now for missing the vacuum actuated throttle valve positioner.

I explained to him that the throttle valve positioner was obsoleted by a dashpot around '72 and in its place was an EGR valve, which my '74 still has intact to this day! He insisted I was wrong and he stormed off, mumbling that he was still going to charge me. I jumped in and drove off!

I found AZ to be quite refreshing. The testing is performed by state employees, who will not turn you away, as they have to test your vehicle by law. Granted, they don't do any repairs, nor do they perform any adjustment. That's entirely on you, the way I like it. I've gotten good enough reading test results, I can diagnose, and make an adjustment and pass within 2 tries. From time to time I hit a bit of back luck, and it'll take 3 tries. In 16 years I've probably had no more than 3 times it took 4 tries.

The only problem I have is I've turned the 5.1 digit odometer twice, once in California, and once in Arizona. When testing, when they ask, I only started putting the "1" in front of the odometer after the odometer rolled over that 2nd time. Some test technicians have a problem with that and insist it cannot be accurate. I explain there is no way I can truly know how many miles are on it. They argue, insisting they should put something other than a "1" in front. Once the computer kicks out their higher number, they reluctantly put "1" with a dirty look. Oh well.

As for your broken coupler, how old was it? Did they break it through negligence, or was it due to fail at any moment?

Regards,
Mike

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #16
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
I think one of the stipulations of classic/collectable status, is that you are limited to about 2000 miles a year. That would generously include Sundays, 4th of July parades, car shows and vintage rallys, but not much else. If you still use it as a daily driver and work truck you're out.
Same goes for the copper Antique Vehicle plates from the MVD.
I could be wrong, and frequently am.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #17
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymachinist View Post
Wow. Pretty sure all these old trucks are exempt around here. Thank god. Emmisions testing sounds terribly annoying.
Yeah, you're lucky. For all the Non-Arizonans out there, Arizona Department of Transportation/ Motor Vehicle Division [ADOT/MVD] regulations state that all vehicles used within boundaries of Maricopa and Pima Counties [PHX and Tucson] registered from 1967 to present must be tested annually for emissions output. 1966 model year and earlier is exempt. They may also expect all vintage style smog equipment [A.I.R. - TCS - EGR etc.] to be still attached and in operating order. In practice -- since after 40+ years, who's still got the original engine? -- they require sniffer probes in your exhaust pipe(s) and if the HydroCarbons or Carbon monoxide are above acceptable levels. you have to get on a set of big dyno rolllers, pull revolutions at 30 - 35 MPH and get further tested. If it flunks you have 30 days to repair the vehicle and bring it in for a retest. First retest is free. Third test is another $12.50. Usually a good economy-leaned tune up is enough.
If the repair costs exceed $50 [may be higher now] you can get a One Year Waiver, but after that no go.
It's hardest in the high summer months, when outside air temp is +100* F, and then you have to idle in line for about 20 minutes, before you pull into a testing stall. If your radiator pukes -- you're out.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #18
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Did you go to one of those quickie McDonalds drive through smog shops? You need to go to one with normal people. If they work at a quickie stop and look like a butthole, they talk like a butthole, they only provide a service mandated by buttholes, then the work quaility is going to stink. I dislike those quickie shops. I think they're buttholes! They should have tweaked your system and you should have passed. Why didn't they.... well I just spelled it.

Annoying for sure. I live in California, its a sore subject for me!
It's all State-Run, although the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality [ADEQ] is privatized to an extent that their 'technicians' are not state employees, requiring pensions and benefits, etc. Still a monopoly, and they are not allowed to help repair. Only the manager is allowed to give you advice on how to adjust your timing and carb, etc.
One kid shoved a big mirror under my '68 C/10 Stepside, one time. "What're you looking for?" I asked. "The Catalytic Converter," he replied. "Well you've got a couple of years to wait, Pal. This is a 1968. The 'Cat' hasn't been invented yet."

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 07-10-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #19
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklptrljay View Post
Wow. For once I can actually say there are less government restrictions on something here in communist California.

We don't have to smog any vehicle '75 or older.

I watched a speedy lube place open the door of my (then) very new Tahoe into a hoist, and then try to tell me they didn't do it. I got the manager and point blank called the employee a liar to their face. It got taken care of, but needless to say I just decided to change my own oil after that.
I had jerk kid break the B&M floor shifter on the TH350 in my 454 engined '67 K/10 Suburban once. No compensation. I replaced it with a Hurst and changed my own oil ever after.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #20
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic-1 View Post
I have a 1962 Corvette , a 1972 Blazer , A 1966 C10, A 1970 CST and a 1955 3100 pickup all registered for 5 years and no emissions I have collector plates on a couple and an original 1955 plate on 1 and regular AZ plate on the 66. They are insured as classics and do not require emissions in AZ .
Only the '70 CST and '72 Blazer would come into question, and only then if you are in Maricopa.
I found a lemon yellow ARIZ '69 plate in the garage. I had been on my Dad's '64 Olds wagon once, I think. It has '71 and '72 stickers on it. I will have to look into the legality of using it on my '71 Jimmy [K/5]. But I think the hard-nosed guy [Ex-Highway Patrol officer] at the MVD said I'd still be required for emissions checks on my '68 C/10 with my vintage plates. My old plates, from that same truck, were 1973s and not allowed as Year-of-Manufacture plates.
The other issue is that I'm with Allstate, and I would lose discounts on having both Auto and Home policies with them, if I separated the policies.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #21
KRamsey07

I dont like to brag... But in good old oklahoma ... theres no inspection !!!!!!!
KRamsey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #22
Jurassic-1

Air Quality Division: Vehicle Emissions: Collectible Vehicles and Motorcycles

Collectible Vehicle Exemption
ADEQ Collectible Vehicle Exemption
An exemption from emissions testing is available for vehicles designated as "collectible". ARS 49-542(J)(2)(k) became effective in 2007 and applies to the following collectible vehicles:
•A vehicle that is at least 15 years old or is rare, unique, limited production and an object of curiosity.
•And is BOTH: ◦a) maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades or other public functions, kept in a private collection and used infrequently;
◦AND, has a collectible or classic automobile insurance coverage that restricts the collectible vehicle mileage or use, or both, and requires the owner to have another vehicle for personal use.

To obtain this exemption, the vehicle owner must contact his insurance carrier to arrange for the required insurance. The carrier will notify MVD electronically, allowing the vehicle to be registered as a collectible vehicle.

Motorcycle Exemption

Emissions testing of motorcycles is no longer required in Arizona.

Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS) 49-542(J)(2)(l) exempts motorcycles from the emissions test. The law became effective in Tucson in 2007 and in Phoenix on June 21, 2013.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #23
Jurassic-1

This is the information on Arizona's emission rules. I would go to motor vehicle and tell them it is a classic. Forget emissions most of our trucks are not driven excessive miles.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #24
Custom/Ten

Thumbs down Re: Emissions rant.

I don't like emmisions laws. If your Prius has a mil light on you fail but if your diesel passes the test your good to go. Just seems kinda silly.
Custom/Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:47 AM   #25
OlSmokey

Wow I actually didn't expect all of these replys haha! anyway i will try to answer in order

cooperhw: the only problem is the mile allotment per year. my truck is my daily driver:/

67ChevyRedneck: you're right and that could have been the case, however, I just recently broke it myself like 3 months ago. haha so theres no way it was just too old.

indymachinist: yeah. phoenix area is pre 1967 are exempt.

jeffahart: all of the ones around me are just the quick drive thru ones.

sklptrljay: wow, that's actually extremely surprising. haha I pretty much swore to myself i'd never live in California with all of those restrictions.

19673onthetree: yeah it's pre 67 here:/

magmajct: no the coupler was very new, and i actually would rather me do the work on my truck and me fix it myself then have someone there who i don't know tinkering with my truck haha

'68orangesunshine: also another ridiculous thing is that i idled my truck to make sure the idle wasn't too rich, then they forced me to turn off my truck. then they instantly turned it back on and tested it. i think it would have passed if it wasn't for them turning it off.

Kramsey07: that's awesome. i would love to live somewhere where i wouldn't be forced to get my truck inspected.

also thanks for everyone chiming in!!

one last thing if someone could help me with.

the only thing that failed on me was the idle. the hydrocarbons was 438 when it should be 400, and the carbon monoxide was 7.47 when it should have been 5. is there anything that you guys could reccomend on what to fix on my carb. i am not a pro at carb work so any help at all would be appreciated. also a little side note, i do not have a tach, so i do not what to set my idle speed at on the carb, i just set it to the point where it's smooth in the truck, but if there is any tips to setting it I would love it. thanks guys!