The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2022, 08:07 PM   #1
Accelo

It's about a Ford, but trust me, it applies.

My friend is rebuilding a 71-Mustang Convertible. Purchase a new power steering pump and hose.

The new flexible line did not screw into the pump fitting. He did some research and confirmed it was the correct flexible line. Figured it must be the pump. Owner called the pump reseller which put him in to communication with the pump rebuilder. The rebuilder told him he could remove the fitting from the back of the pump then the line would screw right into it. Attempted to unscrew the fitting from the pump. He couldn’t get the fitting out and ruined the fitting and broke his vice in the process. Then he brings the pump over to me to help remove the fitting. I figured he's already put as much torque on it as it could possibly need to come out. We then tore the pump apart to get more information on how it was assembled. Once we got it apart, we could see the fitting was welded in on the backside of the housing. No way was it removable! I also used thread gauges to inspect the TPI of the threads on the pump and hose. One was 18 TPI and the other was 22 TPI, so it would've worked even if the fitting did come out. Owner managed to get the reseller to replace the $175 pump because of the bad information he received. We attempted to modify the $40 line to fit the new pump. He managed to find a fitting that would convert a male flare fitting to a female flair at one of the local hydraulic hose outfits locally. We cut the end off of the tubing that was crimped onto the rubber hose. We were planning on sliding the new fitting onto the tubing and then re-flare the tubing to fit the pump fitting. We cut it off the flair on the end then found that the replacement Ferrell fitting would not go on the tube. It turned out to be 10 mm tubing shoved into what was listed as 3/8 hose, USA. That information was printed on the outside of black flexible hose.
We thought about drilling out the fitting .015 of an inch to the 10 mm size. But that wouldn't work because we didn't have metric flaring capabilities. Owner went on the hunt for the correct hose. Finally identified the fact Ford had changed the line type on the convertible only. Ordered a new hose it was guaranteed to fit. I just got done looking at it. And it is not correct either. It has hydraulic threads on the end and the pump is set up for a flared fitting. It is also built different so it’s impossible to flair the end. He's into this over a week and still doesn't have a simple hose that will connect the pump to the power steering box. I am sure the firs hose was made in China with a mismatch of metric and imperial parts. It's difficult enough to rebuild these old cars without that kind of crap parts. Not to mention the generic databases they are using to identify the part.
Some advice;
Make no assumptions on fitment. Measure everything and every part. Do not wait to assemble parts as any chance of getting a satisfactory resolution is out the window after a couple weeks.
I outlined what has transpired so far. Still hoping to find the correct hose, or make one, that will function. Wish I had pictures but I do not.
Isn't rebuilding old cars fun?
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 09:07 PM   #2
truckster

Re: It's about a Ford, but trust me, it applies.

On the other hand, I used a serpentine setup from a newer Chevy on my Blazer, including the power steering pump. I was able to unscrew the fitting from the back of the pump and screw the old one in its place. Maybe it's just a GM thing.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:58 AM   #3
Accelo

Yes, GM sometimes has better interchanges. My point was with so many of the parts off-shored it is difficult to get though the garbage part and poor databases. Everyone that has done a truck, from the frame up, has a story that is similar to this one.

I will add a positive. I just replaced my mirror and it fit perfect. Don't remember where it came from. But their is a clue in the picture.
Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:06 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

What you say is true.

About your friend's hose. Is there a local place that builds hydraulic lines? Around here there are a lot, like lawn equipment dealers or heavier.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #5
sick472

It's getting worse as time goes by. I just bought $1600 worth of parts from the best aftermarket vendor I'm aware of. This was for a 67 Pontiac project of mine. I had to return a new, Mexico made, heater core as it bubbled under water with 15 psi air applied to it. The new grills ($250/pair) were both scuffed and scratched from being shipped from Taiwan. The USA rebuilt wiper motor assembly worked, but sounded like it was missing a few gear teeth and had paint over the old grease and grime. AND, the $75 vacuum actuator tested bad.

Over $500 worth of parts had to be returned...most of which would have been a real bear to change out later had I installed them without testing them. Can you imagine having to change out a heater core after the fact?

Luckily the vendors are used to this and pay for the parts to be shipped back and replace them. I look forward to testing the replacement parts again when the come in...NOT! It's a shame that all that shipping and handling has to be paid by the customer through the upfront price of the parts.

If you get good parts to begin with...just know that you paid for somebody else's return costs. You don't have the hassle of it all, but you paid for some return shipping just in case!

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote