The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
jeffg1010

Re: Suggestions for replacing Suburban Headliner

Mine is made of Luan and covered with modern headliner fabric (available at any Joann fabrics for about 7 bucks a yard). It really quiets things down with fabric up there to absorb some sound.

By using the Luan (a form of panel board available at Lowes), you have a more solid surface to get custom with, meaning you can actually mount stuff in your headliner. I got rid of the front and rear (metal) rail supports and just use the two side rails to hold the headliner up. The Luan isnt flexible enough to make the shape bends, but it will hold its own radius with no problems. I asked a custom shop what they were building headliners out of and they gave me that idea as a very affordable option.

I built a overhead center console with a drop down section for my stereo unit. It also has LED dome lights and a 12.1" flip down TV/DVD combo.

Needless to say... I wasn't going for the "stock appearance".

But, this is my daily driver and I wanted it to be practical (I have 3 kids.)

Behind the 2nd row of seats, there is two 6x9 speakers built into the headliner, and at the rear doors, there is two 5 1/4" speakers built into the headliner.

All said and done, I have about $400 bucks in my headliner (including the flip down TV/DVD -$50 on ebay)

I need to take some better, more updated pics, I took these with my phone the day I was installing it in back over the summer. But, this gives you the idea.

1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Grimpala

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg1010 View Post
Mine is made of Luan and covered with modern headliner fabric (available at any Joann fabrics for about 7 bucks a yard). It really quiets things down with fabric up there to absorb some sound.

By using the Luan (a form of panel board available at Lowes), you have a more solid surface to get custom with, meaning you can actually mount stuff in your headliner. I got rid of the front and rear (metal) rail supports and just use the two side rails to hold the headliner up. The Luan isnt flexible enough to make the shape bends, but it will hold its own radius with no problems. I asked a custom shop what they were building headliners out of and they gave me that idea as a very affordable option.

I built a overhead center console with a drop down section for my stereo unit. It also has LED dome lights and a 12.1" flip down TV/DVD combo.

Needless to say... I wasn't going for the "stock appearance".

But, this is my daily driver and I wanted it to be practical (I have 3 kids.)

Behind the 2nd row of seats, there is two 6x9 speakers built into the headliner, and at the rear doors, there is two 5 1/4" speakers built into the headliner.

All said and done, I have about $400 bucks in my headliner (including the flip down TV/DVD -$50 on ebay)

I need to take some better, more updated pics, I took these with my phone the day I was installing it in back over the summer. But, this gives you the idea.

Not to hijack, but what vehicle are those seats out of?
Grimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
jeffg1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
Not to hijack, but what vehicle are those seats out of?
Just noticed this reply.

I have all three rows of seats out of an '05 Suburban. They mounted perfectly and look real good installed. Just make sure you get the third row seat mounting brackets out of the donor vehicle. I also took the entire seat wiring harness out (which is a friggin' rats nest, but it made "hooking up" to my electrical a breeze)

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
Old 02-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Grimpala

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg1010 View Post
Just noticed this reply.

I have all three rows of seats out of an '05 Suburban. They mounted perfectly and look real good installed. Just make sure you get the third row seat mounting brackets out of the donor vehicle. I also took the entire seat wiring harness out (which is a friggin' rats nest, but it made "hooking up" to my electrical a breeze)
Did the middle seat mount up to the 'ledge' fairly easily so that it still folds down all the way?
Grimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
jeffg1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
Did the middle seat mount up to the 'ledge' fairly easily so that it still folds down all the way?
WELL... no, they will flip and slide forward, but they wont fold flat. And it is a bit tight. I have considered modifying the rear brackets to make more room, but they will flip and slide forward enough for an adult to access the third row seats. And there is more room in the 3rd row than there is the 2nd.

In fact, when I had the 'Burb down in Miami in January, I tried to convince the Miami dolphins cheerleaders at a car show to let me show them how much leg room there was in the third row. But they said their boss would fire them all. BUT ... there is PLENTY of room.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
sburb86

New to the forum. Have an 88 suburban and desperately need to do headliner. I do not have rear air so just buying a new one is out. I am liking your "luan" fix but did you piece it all together somehow? I am only seeing 4x8 sheets. The fiberboard that comes out of truck is approx 54.5 inches wide by 60 inches long. I know this is an old thread but any help would be greatly appreciated.
sburb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburb86 View Post
New to the forum. Have an 88 suburban and desperately need to do headliner. I do not have rear air so just buying a new one is out. I am liking your "luan" fix but did you piece it all together somehow? I am only seeing 4x8 sheets. The fiberboard that comes out of truck is approx 54.5 inches wide by 60 inches long. I know this is an old thread but any help would be greatly appreciated.
to the board...

Here is another thread on the subject:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=410459

I don't know how much difference there is between the '67-'72's and the '88 though...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote