The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
tonypaul

Tweeter location?

I got some great speakers for xmas for my truck but I cant figure out where I want to mount the tweeters.

I already have 2 - 12" Kenwood subs in a custom box behind the seats hooked up to 500 watt Kenwood amp wired mono/bridged. Hits hard!
I just got some Rocker Fosgate 6x9s to replace the blown Pioneers in the lower doors thats hooked up to a 350 watt Kenwood amp wired normally to the amp. I sounds good but, all the sound is at the bottom of the truck. Along with the Rockfordfosgate 6x9s I also just got some Alpine componete set, 6 1/2" and tweeters and a Alpine amp and some lower kick pods to mount the componetes in.

The pods will hold the tweeters and 6 1/2, but if I mount it in the lower kick panels all my sound is still all at the bottom. I also have another set of Alpine tweeters that can be rotated in their housing and be mounted just about anywhere. Here lies the problem I can figure out where to mount them so I can get a little sound staging going on up top. I tried putting them in the corner of the windshield between the piller, sounded good but looks like crap.

I was considering mounting them in the plastic defrost vents butI have aftermarket underdash a/c - heater system that I will be installing in the spring. I will need the the vents for defrost..... I can mount them in the center speaker area (underneath) facing up and bounce the sound off the windshield.... but not sure about how it will sound..

How can I get the most of my sound with what I got????
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Re: Tweeter location?

KICK PANELS....but either tweek the ones you got or custom make new ones so they face ear level in the middle of the cab (if they don't already).

Mounting the tweets too far away from their counter part is a bad idea, and having it bounce off the windshield then to your ear just compounds the problem. If it were me, I would do the kicks for the components and run the 6x9's as a mid bass (no highs). Doing this should help with getting the sound you are looking for, and the components should be able to put off all the highs you need.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
tonypaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
KICK PANELS....but either tweek the ones you got or custom make new ones so they face ear level in the middle of the cab (if they don't already).

Mounting the tweets too far away from their counter part is a bad idea, and having it bounce off the windshield then to your ear just compounds the problem. If it were me, I would do the kicks for the components and run the 6x9's as a mid bass (no highs). Doing this should help with getting the sound you are looking for, and the components should be able to put off all the highs you need.
Thanks! I just finished this project today. I ended up mounting my tweeters down between my windshield and pillers the other day when I first asked about this. I hooked them up to the amp loose and just placed them around different parts of the truck untill I found what I thought sounded best. I ordered some kick panel pods that hold both the tweeters and the 6 1/2's and just got them today. I only hooked up the 6 1/2's in the pods, even though I have another set of alpine tweeters that I could have put in the pods. I have the perfect amoutn of highs with what I got now. The mids just completly rounded off the sound perfectly.

I have 2 - 12" Kenwood subs mounted real low in the custom box behind the seat. 2- Rockford Fosgate 3-way 6x9's in the bottom of the doors, the tweeters up on the pillars and the mids down in the kick panels all run through 2 amps. It completly rocks! Even though my trucks engine is very loud with the 454 and 3" exhaust and flowmasters inside with the windows up its amazingly quite. I put 2 layers of Fatmat plus extra insulation in the cab, firewall and rear wall, 1 layer of the fatmat all inside the doors and spray foam inside the roof. I also replaced all the door seals, felts, ect.

Going down the highway at 70 mph I can hear every bit of sound so crystal clear. Reminds me of a Cadillac or something....
Old 12-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Awesome! Glad that placement works for you. I've always heard that having them the tweeter too far from it's component causes a separation of sound, but it could possible be diminshed with the crossover.

I'm always tweeking the settings on my system in my daily driver and I find new settings that make it sound better almost weekly. Keep messing with it and you just might be even more impressed!

BTW...where's the pics?!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Sooner84

Just wondering where you got your kick panel pods from?
Post some pics too

My first (1984 c10) Build
Sooner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
tonypaul

I will post up some pics this afternoon or tomorrow, Im doing the truck bed coating today. I made the kick panels myself out of 1/4 waffer board covered them in black carpet and got the pods here;
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-1-2-Component-...item3cb2c7c14e
Old 12-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
tonypaul

pics as promised although they are not real good. I forgot to change my color balance back.
Name:  truck12-30 039sm.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  truck12-30 023sm.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  truck12-30 014sm.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  truck12-30 036sm.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  truck12-30 037sm.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  98.6 KB
Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
tonypaul

a couple more
Name:  truck12-30 020sm.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  truck12-30 049sm.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  34.9 KB
Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Looks great! I love the radio install as well as all the speaker installs, very clean.

What are the little black things below the pods on the kick panel?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
tonypaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
Looks great! I love the radio install as well as all the speaker installs, very clean.

What are the little black things below the pods on the kick panel?
Thanks, the little black things are crossovers.. I just recessed them into the kickpanel instead of having them hanging out..
Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #11
orbot

I got mine in the door panels, just besides the window regulator lever and hey sound good.
orbot is offline   Reply With Quote