The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2000, 10:00 PM   #1
65-1ton

Question Manual to auto conversion

What are the options for converting manual to automatic trans for '65 GMC with small block chev V8? Is it easier/less expensive to go with later steering/shift column? Anybody with first-hand experience?
Old 12-03-2000, 01:36 AM   #2
Mongo
YES_____NO

What I ran in to when puttting the steering cloumn and 700r-4 form a 88 chevy van was the bracket that comes off the streering cloumn hit the iner-fender well. I opted to go with a floor shift insted of cutting the fenderwell and haveing to paly around with the linkage. Aslo you have to cut/drill out the rivtes to the crossmember and move it back. there are already holes in the frame showing just where you need to move the crossmember. I found moving the crossmember is much easier if the cab is off the frame.
As to ease of this operation it just depends all on what your sjills are. I found it rather easy to do.
good luck

[This message has been edited by Mongo (edited 12-03-2000).]

People many not remember what you said or what you did, but they will remember the way you made them feel. - unknown

Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai 1984

Help support the board
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2000, 06:29 PM   #3
wacko

I did a late tilt/telescope conversion on my 66. First of all, if you can find a column from a 67-72, it is a bolt in swap. I wanted to have both tilt and telescope, so I swapped in a unit from a 80-something Caddy. It was kind of a pain. If I was you, I'd go with the bolt in swap. OBTW, certain companies have this steering column for sale in various trim - ididit is one of them.
wacko is offline   Reply With Quote