The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
dirish

Re: Temp gauge pegged full hot? Here is the fix

I know it's an old post but I spent all day putting a brand new cluster in and the temp pegged out hot. Knowing it wasnt. I searched a few minutes to find this post, took me about 10 minutes to fix my cluster! thank you very much!!
dirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirish View Post
I know it's an old post but I spent all day putting a brand new cluster in and the temp pegged out hot. Knowing it wasnt. I searched a few minutes to find this post, took me about 10 minutes to fix my cluster! thank you very much!!
GREAT!!! Glad it helped you.

Take care,
Tom
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
dirish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post

Take care,
Tom
Hey Tom, searching. .... can I do that with gas gauge.
It was fine till I changed clusters todY. Can I use bottom pin and ground like temp guage?
Thanks in advance!
dirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:10 AM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirish View Post
Hey Tom, searching. .... can I do that with gas gauge.
It was fine till I changed clusters todY. Can I use bottom pin and ground like temp guage?
Thanks in advance!
What exactly is the gauge doing now? How much gas is in the tank? Do you have a ohm/volt meter?

Let me know and I can walk you through finding the cause. How does everything else on the cluster work? Lights, temp gauges , turn signal indicators?

And yes you can ground from that center lug on the fuel gauge. Very rarely is ground an issue on the cluster if other things are working OK.

Double check the connector and circuit board where it plugs in. Make sure all of the brass contact are in the correct position and none of them are touching or folded over onto another. You can use super glue to put them back into position if needed.

Hope this helps,
Tom
Old 02-25-2017, 02:55 AM   #5
a1vintage69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post

Take care,
Tom
Hi Tom, This question is off subject but thought I would ask because I know a lot of guys will be interested. Do you restore the chrome on wood grain bezels or know anybody that does? Mine is faded down to the black in spots and all the nos bezels with wood grain are silver and not chrome. I would also be interested in a good original chrome wood grain bezel if you ever sell any. I just bought a speedminder/tach/vacum cluster from a member today and may want to restore it to good driver quality with my wood grain bezel for my Super. I would like to know what an average restore could cost just a ball park guess. any help will be much appreciated. thank you, Steve
a1vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1vintage69 View Post
Hi Tom, This question is off subject but thought I would ask because I know a lot of guys will be interested. Do you restore the chrome on wood grain bezels or know anybody that does? Mine is faded down to the black in spots and all the nos bezels with wood grain are silver and not chrome. I would also be interested in a good original chrome wood grain bezel if you ever sell any. I just bought a speedminder/tach/vacum cluster from a member today and may want to restore it to good driver quality with my wood grain bezel for my Super. I would like to know what an average restore could cost just a ball park guess. any help will be much appreciated. thank you, Steve
Hi Steve,

I will send you a PM with details.

Take care,
Tom