The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
Maynard

Suburban dealer-installed rear shoulder belts

I have a 1984 K2500. Second row shoulder belts were a dealer installed option, and I don't know what years that option was available. If you've ever had the interior trim off a vehicle which had the option available, you've seen the anchor points there.

I have single retractor lap belts only on the second row seats. I want to put double retractor shoulder belts in their place in the outboard positions. I bought a set of front seat double retractor belts without considering the space requirement. I don't think they'll fit with the seats up and they definitely won't fit with the seats down.

Does anybody have a rig that has had the second row shoulder belts installed and can you post or send a picture of that installation?

Others, have you installed second and/or third row shoulder belts and how did you do it? Pictures?

Thanks.
Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
eighteenninetytwo

Re: Suburban dealer-installed rear shoulder belts

I raised this two weeks back as my wife (rightly) won't let the kids in the blazer without rear belts. 3rd row seats from GMC yukon / Cadillac escalade etc have seat mounted should inertia belts. The mounts to the floor are different so you'll need some form of rig made that the seat mounts to AND bolts into the floor but that is the way forward.
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Maynard

I'd first like to see what the dealers did before I move to a seat change.

In case I go to a seat change, let me be sure I understand. Are you saying that the third row seat could be put in place of the second? Or are you saying that if I want shoulder belts on the third row ALSO, I'd replace the current seat with a later seat that incorporates the shoulder belts and build a frame to attach? Sounds like you're saying that's what you did for the second row in the Blazer.

I'm not familiar with later seats, so I'll ask if they seat two or three.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
eighteenninetytwo

I didn't read properly and I was assuming (wrongly) that you were referring to a vehicle without the anchor points for shoulder belts on the frame / interior so my solution was to use seats with integral belts.
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
Maynard

Still, it's not a bad idea if it comes to that.

Back to the original question. Does anybody own a Suburban with the dealer installed second row shoulder belts?
Old 02-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
Maynard

How about this idea? Has anybody installed second row shoulder belts and relocated the floor anchor point to the wheel well, for example?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #7
Maynard

Or...what if I modify the single retractor currently in place? You know the belt is anchored on one end by the frame that holds the retractor. On the other end is the piece that attaches to the buckle. A more modern design lets that piece "float" along the strap and both ends of the strap are anchored on the floor. When you pull the strap out of the retractor, it forms a combination lap and shoulder belt when attached to the buckle. It's actually a loop with the attaching piece floating until secured.

Why can't I have the single retractor side re-webbed with a longer piece of new webbing that will retract and hang along the side of the pillar? It will be anchored on one end by the original retractor as installed at the factory and I can install another anchor for the new end, using original GM hardware.

I think that's the way the front belts work, but the design uses two retractors to make it work. If that's vague and you want more explanation, let me know. I kinda think I'm talking to myself, but somebody may have a comment or suggestion...

I'ma think about this a little and take some measurements Wednesday.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I haven't owned a square Burb yet, so I don't know. I thought someone would have chimed in by now. I'd head down to the local pick and pull and see what you can find, at least around here there's always 80's Burbs on the yard.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Maynard

I have that on my to-do list, but it's behind honey-dos and a sudden need for attention expressed by my daily driver.

This isn't front burner, since I don't need to haul anybody around right now, but it's coming. One reason I bought the monster was to be able to travel with a crowd.

I'd like to give this attention while I'm focused on the interior, so I'll be back on it soon.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

I would a get a set from later years if it would bolt up
I had an Texas born conversion 88 with RPO YG4 "rear seat not desired"
unused capped holes were there I believe for 2nd row,3rd row three point harness.
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote