The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Product Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
70rs/ss

Summit "air gap" intake crappy quality??

The intake ports are crooked and mis aligned, and over all the quality is kinda crappy, granted it is $100 cheaper than the edel version, I am a little disappointed with it. I could lay a gasket down and gasket match it, but you really shouldn't need to do that in order to square up the ports, but again you get what you pay for. I was encouraged to share my experience on this intake with the board, so take it or leave it, I may be expecting too much, what do you think?
Attached Images

70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
copywritten
CopyWritten

Re: Summit "air gap" intake crappy quality??

I think that I would send that back to Summit. So what if it was cheaper Summit typically builds quality parts and I bet if you call them they would agree to send it back for a different one.
copywritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
c10crazy
Like a Rock!

I fink da guy who made dat need new grasses I agree send it back and save up the extra hundred.
c10crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

If a part is sold with the expectation that it be a bolt-on but it will not fit a recommended assembly without machining then I consider it to be defective and should be returned.

It's new in the box, it's not as if it came off eBay.

Contact them and get them to replace it with one that is not defective on thier dime.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

I would say that's just poor quality on the part. Summit would probably be happy to try to do something to make it right, but the parts may be this way because of the price they are paying for them. (You might not get a high quality one in other words).

DLB
Old 06-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
70rs/ss

Yeah, they have already sent me a shipping label, I just put picts here so you guys could learn from my experience. I answered a question in the engine and drivetrain with my review (exp) and was told I should add it to the review portion as well, so anything I can do to help someone else out! I have this for my Vortec 383 build (going on in the engine forum) and a little gasket match wouldn't kill me, but I was just super disappointed in the cockeyedness of the ports, that is the mold, that is the only way a casting could be that off. Edelbrock is a litlle more $$$ but made in the USA and that is what I knew before I bought this, but for $100+ or - I was willing to ignore not made in the USA, I see what I get for not going with my gut!!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
70rs/ss

I made a bit of a boo boo, not $100 difference, $45-50 so it is going back and I'll get the edelbrock one, BTW here is a pict of the edel so you can see the difference in the plenum, maybe the summit one was trying to be a little different from the edel for copyright reasons, but which would be better?
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

My machinist prefers $100 cheaper Chinese manifolds over Edelbrock.He says he rarely gets an Edelbrock he doesn`t need to plane across the mating surface.He`s had no problems with the chinese ones.He offers both,too.He says most guys still want the name,and he adds the planing to the bill.
I`m not saying it`s the same manufactirer as whoever Summit uses.Just making a point that sometimes you don`t get what you pay for,then pay even more.It says made in China on the underside,too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #9
Billla
Account Suspended

Man, that's horrifying. These types of reviews are important for the community.

I have to wonder if it's a one-off example of core shift in casting...but regardless the fact that it slipped by their QA is almost more troubling. I put an order in for one today to drop it on a 'budget 355' overhaul I just started as a FAQ for the site AND a raffle engine for the Ronald McDonald house here in Seattle - so we'll see.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:27 AM   #10
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Not trying to hyjack , but remember Edlebrocks are set up to run there carb . The vacuum fitting will likely be blocked if you decide to use a Holley carb on it . You will likely need a spacer to get a fitting in . Other brands move this outboard to allow any carb to be used . Just something to think about .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583

Last edited by hotrod 80; 06-19-2008 at 03:35 AM.
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:20 PM   #11
70rs/ss

After grabbin' the dart intake I have for the early SBC heads this intake looks a lot like it, except for the ports being mis-aligned. I think since I am sitting at home for a few weeks with nothing I can do (can't lift anything above 5lbs) and time to kill (being seriously bored!!) I may get some bits and gasket match the intake, like I said $50 savings isn't worth the crap-tastic quality of this intake, but a gasket match would be needed for either intake, so if I start with a straight intake and still need to hog it out, then a crooked intake getting hogged out and straightened up is 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other!!

BTW on a side note, the 383 I am building now seems to fit into the 383 CarCraft built (mine is somewhere between the mild one and the medium one that CC built), so I think I should be better than these numbers 415hp and 466lb/ft of torq and below the medium 383 numbers on this page. I can scan the whole artical if someone wants to see it and isn't a subscriber to CC?? This intake will see time on this particular 383 so it is kinda relevant to this thread, but off into left center field!!
Attached Images