The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2011, 02:22 AM   #101
collins10672

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

the donor truck you bought looks to me like it is a 3/4 ton.if it is you probably don't want to change suspension since it is 8 lug.
collins10672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:26 AM   #102
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57truckguy View Post
I switched to an auto lens a couple of years ago and it sure helps to be able to see where you are starting... LOL these old eyes aren't what they used to be. LOL
curious what gear is that.. can't seem to make out the numbers on my screen.. ????
I have a buddy at work who has an auto lens, they sound pretty cool.

The numbers as best I could read them are:

3817778 11:41 0/2 3 69 2

Whatever all that means

As ever, thanks for taking a look!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #103
flips72

the gear is a 373 (44-11). i know exactly what your talking about with the parts guy, it looks like they would hire some people that know cars instead of computers.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #104
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins10672 View Post
the donor truck you bought looks to me like it is a 3/4 ton.if it is you probably don't want to change suspension since it is 8 lug.
I will have to check on the size of the truck Collins, when I originally looked at it I was thinking engine and other bolt on-bolt off upgrades.

Quote:
the gear is a 373 (44-11).
so is that good Flips?
I could not tell you the difference between gear ratios unless we were on bicycles. Even then I only know the basics!

Thanks for the looking and the comments guys !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 12-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #105
flips72

thats what i am running in mine, but i dont do a lot of interstate driving so it works great for me. if you think it might be to low, your doner truck more than likely has a 700r4 in it and that will be perfect with your gear. but you could always trade it for a case of mountain due and a 3.08 i sure hope its a half ton truck, pop one of the hubcaps and count the lugs and hope for five.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #106
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
thats what i am running in mine, but i dont do a lot of interstate driving so it works great for me. if you think it might be to low, your doner truck more than likely has a 700r4 in it and that will be perfect with your gear. but you could always trade it for a case of mountain due and a 3.08 i sure hope its a half ton truck, pop one of the hubcaps and count the lugs and hope for five.
I am planning on a 4sp manual transmission, and towing a trailer with another car on it for the interstate...Hopefully that will be Ok.
I looked at the registration and title for the 85 Sierra but it does not say if it is half or quarter ton. I will pop a hub cap in the next day or two on it and check.

You know, I actually feel sorry for customer service folk when they are dealing with me....
I bought an auto darkening hood today, but the purchase process is never pretty when you are having me in front of you.

AIH Clerk: We have these in 2 styles, the hot head and the bone head (referring to the graphics)
Me: Which one will make my welding better?
Clerk looking at me like I am retarded: I dont think either one will help with that....
Me: I dont care then, guess it is like go fast stripes on a car....
Clerk: Hot Head it is!

And so a pic of my new toy that may or may not make me a better welder!

Heheheheh thanks for looking guys!!
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 12-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #107
allaboutchevelles

those auto darkening helments are the ticket. You will love it!!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #108
KroAutomotiveInc

looking good man wish mine was step side some times really wish it was a 4x4 step side
KroAutomotiveInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #109
flips72

nice hood, and it will help with your welding i guarantee it.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #110
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
those auto darkening helments are the ticket. You will love it!!
Well ..... see below.

Quote:
looking good man wish mine was step side some times really wish it was a 4x4 step side
Thanks Kro, I am quite a ways behind you though still...

Quote:
nice hood, and it will help with your welding i guarantee it.
Ok, not to be a whiney little biotch but I really REALLY cannot make this stuff up. In the pic you will see the instructions for use on the new welding hood.
See where it says "NOTE: Expose the solar cell to bright sunlight for 30 minutes before use" ????
You would not think that is a problem here on planet Earth... but right now we only get daylight from 10am to 3pm and it is not necessarily direct or bright.

Le Sigh.

This fits my definition of irony.
"Irony is Fate's way of flipping you the finger!"

I wonder if taking it to a tanning salon and cooking in one of their beds for 30 min would work??
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 12-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #111
KroAutomotiveInc

thats wired on your welding hood never heard anything like that the arc from your welder should do the job its much brighter then the sun
KroAutomotiveInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #112
daverod
SSN 706

I would'nt worry about it. Instructions are way overated. If I was you I would be more worrired about that sunlight thing.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #113
allaboutchevelles

Yeah my welding helment never sees the sunlight because im most the time welding in my shop with the door open at night. It never goes dead and it just sits on top of my welder when not in use. I would put it on and walk up to a bright light and it should dim.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #114
McMurphy

Thanks for the comments guys.
I just think it is funny when I read that I looked out the window at the 20 hours of darkness we have right now and just figured it was my Irish luck laughing at me.... yeah like that.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #115
McMurphy

Oh Oh Oh .... gots my stud welder and spot weld tool today
I am going to mess some stuff up with weekend... or fix some stuff.... whatever!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 12-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #116
C@rnut001

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Ok...
So yesterday I took my read diff cover off again and shot these pics of the gear ratio.
So far so good eh?
Then I took off the gasket that was on there, and started working out that curl you get on the bottom of your pumpkin cover from.... Ohhhh lets say, jacking the rig up by the rear diff..... And though I was super careful taking the gasket off, chances are it is the original and since I have it off I may as well change it.
With old gasket in hand, and a small shopping list, off to the local parts store I go. Then I stand at the counter for 45 minutes while the old guy tries to look it up on the computer...then in the books...then takes the gasket in the back and tries an open-the-box comparison... only to return and tell me they dont have it.
I would not be so frustrated with this, if it wasnt for the stupid (or at least seemingly stupid to me) questions involved.
Me: I need a 12bolt posi rear diff cover gasket for a 66 C10 half ton, and the gear oil for that please.
Steven Hawkings of Auto Parts: What size engine is that?
Me: ???? in line-6 250 or 292
Him: Power Steering?
Me: WTF ????

Could anyone explain to me what difference anything forward of the drive shaft has to do with the rear diff gasket?
Please?
It is called answering the questions in the computer... I used to be an assistant manager with O'Reilly's before I went back to teaching.... most guys behind the counter don't even know what you are asking for...

Oh, before I get any further, thanks to you and your wife for your service to our country!

and I love the fact that you are redoing this truck in Alaska. I live in bush Alaska and I have not made it up to Fairbanks area yet, but hopefully I will soon.
C@rnut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #117
C@rnut001

Oh and I used to have a '66 1/2 ton long bed that I found that only had 80,000 miles on it.... had to sell it to my brother when I moved....sigh....

Keep up the great work on yours!
C@rnut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #118
57truckguy

That helmet must have a photo cell power supply for the autodarking to work. Mine has a small battery I have to change every other year or so. No flames on mine. LOL A guy I know had his lens special made for his bad eyes.. I do not know what it cost, but he has more money then god anyway.. LOL Anyway he will probably use very little anyway.. does most of his truck building in the catalog and check book... If you know what I mean.
57truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #119
flips72

did your donor truck turn out to be a 1/2 ton? when you get done with the stud gun can i borrow it , the back of my cab is for sure going to need one,looks like someone used to store their boots between the cab and bed its dented from one end to the other right below the window.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #120
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@rnut001 View Post
It is called answering the questions in the computer... I used to be an assistant manager with O'Reilly's before I went back to teaching.... most guys behind the counter don't even know what you are asking for...

Oh, before I get any further, thanks to you and your wife for your service to our country!

and I love the fact that you are redoing this truck in Alaska. I live in bush Alaska and I have not made it up to Fairbanks area yet, but hopefully I will soon.
Wow ... Teaching!
Now there is a service to our country!
You are welcome for my humble contributions to our nation, it truely is an honor to serve!
Yeah these Alaskan winters are just too long and too harsh for a lower 48 guy like me. I had to find something that was equal parts destruction and construction for me to keep my sanity.
Come on up, i have a frig full of beer!

Quote:
That helmet must have a photo cell power supply for the autodarking to work. Mine has a small battery I have to change every other year or so. No flames on mine. LOL A guy I know had his lens special made for his bad eyes.. I do not know what it cost, but he has more money then god anyway.. LOL Anyway he will probably use very little anyway.. does most of his truck building in the catalog and check book... If you know what I mean.
There are a pair of AAA batteries that go inside as well... I assumed there was something about the photo cell though.
I will admit I did some of the work on my Tempest thru the catalog and checkbook.
I can swap an engine out, anything more technical than that and I am either begging or buying someone to do it LOL

Quote:
did your donor truck turn out to be a 1/2 ton? when you get done with the stud gun can i borrow it , the back of my cab is for sure going to need one,looks like someone used to store their boots between the cab and bed its dented from one end to the other right below the window.
We been working some long long days in the Hospital this week Flips, so no. Have not gotten out there to pop a hub cap on it yet. Working from dark to dark (we work in the Operating Room so there are no outside looking windows) really puts a damper on doing much of anything after work. Especially when it is cold to boot!

I looked at a couple of the stud guns at my fave pawn shop. The prices were almost the same as getting one new from HF, but did not have the 100 studs or the slide hammer. So for like $10 more I got the whole kit; I just had to wait a week or two...

Gonna read the manual with my coffee in the morning and then go out and play with my new toys!

So far I think I have about $550 into the Truck, and about $3,000 in tools for it.

Go figure.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 12-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #121
allaboutchevelles

That stud gun from HF is the same one im using that I borrowed from my cousin. It works good.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #122
McMurphy

Ok for all you guys that have the auto dark welding hood all I can say is wow, how the heck could someone have gotten this far without them!!

And the stud welder works like a charm too.
Pulling a dent is alot like reading the lie on the putting green. I have seen it isnt just about planting the stud in the deepest part of the dent and going to town on it. I had better luck by planting 3-4 in that area between the outer edge of the dent and the deep center and pulling it out one side/quarter at a time..... thoughts?

Started the weekend off with the spot weld cutter and cut out the drip rails from the leading edge of my doors. I have to agree with all you "old timers" it does look alot cleaner without them, and the rust under them !! What a crappy design.

Then it was filling the CB antenna hole in the top of my cab.
I was having a hell of a time because the hot air keep blowing up thru my welds and I could never get the weld to seal the hole. Not until I got my wife to hold the shop vacuum up to the bottom of the hole inside the cab. With that back pressure for the hot air I was able to get my welds to seal up finally.

Then I moved to the drip rail.
Stodder did a "sombreo" style where he flatened and tapered his all the way around, and that gave me the idea.
I did more of a "fedora" style where I only flatened and filled mine in the front with a down drip lip.
At this time it is still a little rough, but it is looking along the lines I want it to.

I love this hood!
I was looking for holes to fill and stuff to weld ... but i am down to 500psi on my tank of gas so it is going to be time to change that soon.

Pic #1 and #2 is my drip rail before and after.
#3 is my CB Antenna hole filled (yay!!)
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 12-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #123
McMurphy

Just a few more pics of my drip rail mod...

Pic #1 is the before (as if you guys dont know what these look like, I know)
#2 is my flatened drip rail, and I filled my seams too.
#3 is another view of the drip rail
#4 is just the drivers side, which I have to say was more cooperative. It was so bad I started to wonder if it was because I am right handed, and standing on the front frame doing all this...???

Please comment, the only skills and ideas I have in this are from you guys on this board.

Thanks for looking !!!
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #124
allaboutchevelles

Nice looking work!! I been thinking about taking my side drip rails off also. I know mine has rust under them too. It looks like the door gap is still ok even with them off. Can you get a straight on pic of the door gap where the side drip rails were removed? Are you going to have to add any filler metal??
Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #125
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
Nice looking work!! I been thinking about taking my side drip rails off also. I know mine has rust under them too. It looks like the door gap is still ok even with them off. Can you get a straight on pic of the door gap where the side drip rails were removed? Are you going to have to add any filler metal??
The gaps aren't bad at all, maybe 3/16 to 1/4". I got some welding rods and they look to fill the space pretty good, or I may just cut the original drip channels and flip their direction to fill the gap.

Not sure yet.

One thing I learned with those rods is they make filling holes alot easier and faster. If you can imagine holding a rod like you were brazing or soldering while you were mig welding then that is how I have been doing it. A lot of the time the working end of the rod will melt off, but if not I just cut it with the grinder.

Pic #1 is head on to the gap.
#2 is squared off to the side of the truck.
#3 is the welding rod idea.
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest