The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #51
awbrown

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can" Build

You can weld on my truck any time.... OK ...
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #52
Dinos63
chevy only

Were you at in arizona? have you talk to nate about a job?? you got skills
Old 05-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #53
63GMCKid

Thanks guys!

I'm in Sierra Vista, I am looking for a job though, so if you know of something within the area or in Tucson I'm interested. Haven't talked to "Nate", not sure who that is, could you PM me with some more details if you have any?
Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #54
coulter

holy s#@t!!!! awsome fab work man

bagged 66 longbed build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=449548

my favorite colors.. black, rust, and shiny!!!! instagram: @coulter918
coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #55
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Very nice looking welds and good fab work.

What filler rod did you use on the inner shafts? Did you pre-heat?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #56
63GMCKid

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
What filler rod did you use on the inner shafts? Did you pre-heat?
ER-70S-2, since that's what I had, and I've seen plenty of MIG welded shafts with the equivalent MIG wire (ER-70S-6) with no issues. I did a little preheat on the shafts, just enough to get them to where they were too hot to handle without gloves, but not much above that, as I didn't want to screw up the temper/heat treat of the shafts if they had any to begin with. After each pass all the way around the shaft, I let it cool to about the same temp (roughly ~200*F according to a temp crayon) before doing the next pass. If I had MIG welded them, I would've fully welded them out at once because MIG doesn't put quite as much heat into the base material because its faster.

Once I get all the outer stuff for this axle and confirm that the shafts run true and will for sure work, I'll probably have them cryo treated.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #57
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

So in my last post on your thread, I asked if you pressed the extensions into the housing... well, what I should have asked was if you had to extend the long side of the eaton housing any more than the section that is inside the inner C. Or did you have to cut the long side down any? In the pictures it doesn't look like the long side had to be extended out more. All I can see is your plug weld grinds. Also, what was the wall thickness of the eaton housing? did you have to turn it any to get it true so it would fit over your freakin awesome axle extensions?

Too many questions?

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #58
63GMCKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
So in my last post on your thread, I asked if you pressed the extensions into the housing... well, what I should have asked was if you had to extend the long side of the eaton housing any more than the section that is inside the inner C. Or did you have to cut the long side down any? In the pictures it doesn't look like the long side had to be extended out more. All I can see is your plug weld grinds. Also, what was the wall thickness of the eaton housing? did you have to turn it any to get it true so it would fit over your freakin awesome axle extensions?

Too many questions?

Other than the part that is in the C on the long side, I did not extend it. Actually had to trim about 1/8'' off the long side to get everything right where I wanted it. And the Eaton housing uses 3 1/4'' x 5/16'' wall tubes, and I didn't turn the housing itself, I just turned the extensions to a certain size to match the side it was going on (one extension I had to turn about .007 smaller than the other to get it to fit tight, but not too tight).

Small update, I put the 3rd back in the housing to check if the shaft lengths were right, and they were right on the money. I also checked it again with a buddy's setup bar and found that I just slightly tweaked the drivers side inner C forward by about 1/16'' from welding. Used the flame bending method to pull it straight (Use of heat only, no force, uses steel's natural expansion/contraction properties to bend something) , worked like charm, so its good to go now.

Made some shackles, not 100% done with them yet (still have to punch the holes out to the final size on the ironworker at work and plug weld the 2 holes in the middle I cut for that.) All TIG welded, 1/2'' thick overall, each is 2 pieces of 1/4'' thick steel, and they are 5.5'' long from bolt center to bolt center.

And made some 1/4'' thick rings with the Eaton HO52/72 diff cover bolt pattern cut in them, should make for a nice heavy duty diff cover or diff cover guard.

And I got 3 more H1 wheels/tires from a buddy, 7 total now (7 good wheels, 5 good tires).

I'm selling the wheels BTW, if anyone is interested send me a PM!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #59
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Damn! what a cool build!
y5mgisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #60
63GMCKid

Just a quick update....

Started on my crossover arm today, printed out a template on PlasmaCAM and center punched and drilled all of my holes, everything is right on the money, bolts will thread in all 4 holes with no problem. Also added holes for dowel pins, I'm going to use two 1/2'' dowel pins, probably will get some fancy chromoly solid rod stock from speedymetals.com, and they'll get pressed into the lower piece of the crossover arm. And I did drill the draglink hole at a 10* angle like all high steer/crossover arms have, still have to drill it out to 7/8'' to fit these... http://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/Tapere...3163/3168/4086 - because I don't want to spend $70+ on a taper reamer that I may only ever use once.

Anyway, first & second picture is when I was drilling into the knuckles for the dowel pins, third picture shows the upper half of the crossover arm (will be a lower 3/4'' piece and an upper 1/2'' piece welded together, the spring cap will be welded in too so it will be all 1 contained unit, will put it to 1.25'' thick which is about the norm for high steer/crossover arms, and should look pretty cool too).

I also got the knuckles from OdinK30 on Pirate4x4 cleaned up and painted, Chevy Orange of course, because I like Chevy Orange and because it makes them look sorta like Reid knuckles

And a before pic of the knuckles, they have definitely seen some road salt! (and this was after being hit with the air chisel for a while, but before sand blasting) Also got another set of inner C's with the knuckles, maybe another steering Eaton?

Got the Eaton housing painted up with Rustoleum Flat Black to match the rear.

And of course, had the paint the Eaton Logo...

Also got the divorced NP205 housing cleaned up and ready for paint and to have the internals from the mated 205 and a used divorced 205 input installed soon.

Stay tuned for more updates soon, should be getting more done on that crossover arm tomorrow, as well as getting all the KP hardware installed.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #61
duallyjams

That's going to look wicked when you get it together and up under the truck.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #62
63GMCKid

Got the knuckles put on my Eaton/60. Installed the new kingpin hardware, made a couple tools to do it, one was a grade 8 bolt with 2 nuts threaded onto it and welded, broke it about 3 times, the other I made from one of the stub shafts I cut up to make my inner shafts, it worked good. Used red Loctite and a 6 foot cheater bar, and torqued them down as much as I could, plus took the impact to them for about 5 minutes each, I don't think they'll back out.

Drilled and tapped the knuckle for 9/16-12 thread and using these ARP studs - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-AQ3475-1LB/ - they are 9/16-12 on one end and 9/16-18 on the other, so I can use regular lug nuts to hold the crossover arm down since 9/16-18 lug nuts are easy to get. Also drilled it for 1/2'' dowel pins, using oil pump push rods for the pins since they are hardened.

Did more work on my crossover steering arm. Cut it with a plain jane Victor cutting torch, took a while but it cut through it at 1.5'' thick with no problem.

Then I cleaned it up and ground both sides to a 10* angle to match the hole for the drag link. Also made a kingpin spring cap for it and put a 70* taper on the holes for the lug nuts. To do that I ground an old 3/4'' drill bit to the proper angle. A quick word of caution, I tacked that cap on and bolted the arm to the knuckle with the KP spring installed, left it overnight, went out the next morning and the cap was no where to be found. About 3 hours later I found it laying in the dirt about 35 feet away, glad I wasn't around when it let go and went flying. I should have put bigger tacks on it. The cap and dowel pins are all getting TIG welded to it soon.

Ground out between the two halves all the way around to weld it together.

The drill bit I modified for a 70* taper.

Welded together and cleaned up....

I had to make the hole for the drag link attachment point 7/8'' in diameter because I'm going to weld in a tapered insert, but I had already drilled it out to 11/16'' and didn't have a 7/8'' drill bit, so I had to use a hole saw. Well hole saws need a pilot bit, and without one they just walk all over the place, but a pilot bit wouldn't do me any good in this case since the hole was already very large. So I found a washer that had a hole slightly bigger than 7/8'' and tacked it onto the arm. This kept the hole saw from walking around and allowed me to cut clean through it without a pilot bit, and it started nice and smooth and straight with no chatter/walking.

Hoping to get some more work done on the frame this week if the wind will stop around here. Going to finish boxing the front of the frame, and box it back to just behind the front shackles. Then maybe check out the trans and see if it needs a rebuild, and if not I'll go ahead and swap it to the 2wd output shaft and rear cover. Next up will be the transfer case, although I may do that before the trans. Stay tuned for more updates soon!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #63
coulter

love ur work man keep it up!!!! i see you used the drill bit to bevel the holes but does it work well as a normal drill bit with that much angle? looks like it would work great but i was just curious

bagged 66 longbed build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=449548

my favorite colors.. black, rust, and shiny!!!! instagram: @coulter918

Last edited by coulter; 05-30-2012 at 08:17 AM.
coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 AM   #64
63GMCKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulter View Post
love ur work man keep it up!!!! i see you used the drill bit to bevel the holes but does it work well as a normal drill bit with that much angle? looks like it would work great but i was just curious

Thanks!

I actually haven't tried to use it as a normal drill bit since then, only used it to put the taper on those holes, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, although it may try to bite and stick with as long as the cutting edges are now. It'll get thrown in with the rest of my specialty tools anyway though.

Just a quickie update from today, got the steering box bolted up to the frame, using some flange nuts for spacers since they have a taper at 1 end for a good weld and the large flanged end for lots of contact area on the steering box. The nuts will be welded on. And of course, used grade 8 bolts to secure the box. Also note that that is a stock 2wd pitman arm on there with the standard amount of drop, clears the frame with plenty of room. When I boxed and plated the frame I moved the steering box forward about 1'' and rotated it so the pitman shaft was more vertical, not by much but it definitely will keep the pitman arm from swinging in such an extreme low(turned to lock) to high (center) to low (turned to lock) arc.

Just the right amount of room.

I modified some old front clip mounts I made a while back to look a little better, bolted them to the frame temporarily just to get them in position, I've since welded them on. The holes make it go faster too.

And I bolted up an oil pan to check for clearance, unfortunately I don't think I would be able to pull the pan with main caps and a crank in the way, but the motor mount cross member is easy enough to drop if the need arises. I've got about ~1.25'' of clearance with that particular pan.

Hoping to get the transfer case done over the weekend, should only take me a few hours since I've done it a couple times already. I'll doing the twin stick mod to the shift rails while I'm at it.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #65
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Your TIG welds shouldn't be hidden. Those are amazing.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 05-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #66
63GMCKid

Quote:
Your TIG welds shouldn't be hidden. Those are amazing.
Thanks! Some things kind of hurt just to paint them because the paint hides the welds!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #67
63GMCKid

Progress on the transfer case....

Got the Ford divorced NP205 housing painted, Chevy Orange of course, that makes up having a Ford part in a GM truck.

Started pulling the mated Ford 205 apart to rob it of its internals to put in the divorced housing. I started by pulling the shift rails to do the usual twin stick mod.

On the rear shift rail ONLY for the twin stick mod, mark out 3/8'' from the end and 7/16'' from the end of the middle interlock pin slot, as shown in the picture.

Then grind the rail until the sharpie markings are gone, and it should look like what is shown in the picture. Remember if you remove too much from the rail, it's a pretty expensive mistake since you have to try to buy a used one or a brand new one. Don't remove too much and you'll be fine. Measure twice, cut once. I did the grinding with a die grinder and grinding disc attachment, its very controllable but works fast.

Almost looks factory!

Then I tore into the case, since I've done this a few times it probably only took me 30 minutes to tear it down. Nothing to these NP205's. The internals are nice and clean but I'm going to pull everything completely apart and inspect/clean, I really only want to have to do this once so the extra time spent now is well worth it in the long run.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #68
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

question about your front HO72. Are you just using the ball bearing one because that's what you have, or are you running it for another reason?

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 06-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #69
63GMCKid

Quote:
question about your front HO72. Are you just using the ball bearing one because that's what you have, or are you running it for another reason?
That's just what I have for now, and I figured if anything a ball bearing one would be fine for a front axle, I personally would not trust it for the rear though. I'm on the hunt for a good 4.56 taper roller 3rd, but if I could get just the ring and pinion and pinion bearing, I've got a taper roller bearing HO72 empty 3rd and carrier and such to put everything in. It had a set of 5.13's in it but the R&P and pinion bearing had bad rust damage from water getting in the housing.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #70
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Let me see if I have any taper bearings left. I sold most of them on Pirate. I sold my last taper 4.57 R&P a few months ago. I think my buddy may have one, but he wont come off it. I am a huge fan of the eatons.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #71
63GMCKid

Almost finished with the transfer case. As far as internals go, I'm done with the rebuild, now I'm working on getting my mount plates and such bolted up. Unfortunately I procrastinated on ordering hardware from McMaster, so the case wont be ready to go in until the end of the week. However, I did fit up my e-brake and its perfect. A bit of a PITA to put together but I'll work on that. First picture below shows the rear mounting plate all painted up and the e-brake caliper bracket. I'll get a pic of the e-brake fully assembled tomorrow after I do some cutting to make it easier to put together. Also something to note on the rebuild, and something I would recommend for anyone looking to take on an NP205 rebuild, I went through EVERYTHING in this case, NP205's are very very simple transfer cases, really nothing to them, and an extra hour or two spent during the rebuild to clean every single gear, shaft, and needle bearing will pay off in the long run. I didn't bother with many pictures of that because most of that good stuff is shown in the service manuals if you decide to rebuild a 205 yourself. And yes I am OCD about the black and chevy orange thing if you can't already tell. It's a good color combo.

Didn't feel like flipping the case over again to get pictures of the front input and front output yokes, but here they are, a pair of beefy 1350 yokes. Also note I sand blasted the bearing/seal retainers and left them alone after that, I like how they look.

Also sand blasted the front output rear cover and left it alone after blasting, has a cool finish to it. Don't mind the dirty hardware, that's all getting replaced with new bling grade 8 stuff from McMaster.

When I was assembling this 205, I noticed the old Ford divorced 205 housing did not have an extra rib in it to attach the clip for the magnet in the housing. I really didn't like the idea of not having a magnet to grab up any metal particles from the oil. Since I will have it clocked with front output 10* below input/output level, and the PTO cover will be fairly low and have oil constantly on it or flowing over it, it would be a good place to put a magnet. So I took a clip meant for securing conduit, welded a 5/16'' bolt to it, drilled a hole in the PTO cover, put 2 nuts and red threadlock for extra security, and I ended up with a nifty magnet clip that won't come lose and let the magnet get munched by the gears like the stock clip can allow.

And I'm almost finished with my crossover steering arm, just have to order a tapered insert from WFO to weld in and it'll be good to go.

I TIG welded the kingpin spring cap and dowel pins to it yesterday and it came out nice. The inside of the cap has a thick flat washer below the outer cone shaped washer, so as not to wear a deep groove in the cap over time.

Cap and dowel pin, gotta show off those TIG welds!

And this is what the bottom of it looks like with the dowel pins. I ran the arm across a belt sander for a while before putting the dowel pins in to get a nice flat smooth surface where it contacts the knuckle.

More updates with pictures coming soon! Stay tuned!
Old 06-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #72
63GMCKid

So I got some bling grade 8 hardware in from McMaster and cut out a ton of general purpose tabs, and got the transfer case completely finished, its ready for the truck now. Not a lot to say this time, so I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Out with the old....

In with the new.....

All finished up.....

Of course gotta have the grade 8 bling up front too!

For those of you rebuilding NP205's, if you didn't already know, keep the torque wrench set low (like 8-10 ft-lbs) when putting in the shift rail detent spring cap things, they are hollow and twist off easily. I felt this one slip as I was tightening it, stopped in time to be able to back it out. Luckily I've got 3 more NP205's to rob parts from.

Did a quick test fit of my crossover steering arm with the ARP studs, everything fits great, and I like that I can use ordinary 9/16-18 lug nuts. Just need to get the tapered insert for the arm and it'll be good to go.

And a quick note on shop safety.... I left this old fan plugged in and running in my garage while I went inside for lunch today. Came back out and could smell burnt motor, what finally got my attention was fire coming out of the back of this fan motor! It was a pretty old fan, but I had it near some cardboard boxes, could have lost my garage if I weren't around for a few minutes longer. So keep your old shop tools/fans/etc unplugged and off when you aren't around! I know its common sense but I'm sure we are all guilty of leaving stuff on like that, obviously I am. Here's the aftermath, can see the black streaks/sooty areas on the motor from where it had flames coming out. I got lucky that it didn't do any damage to anything other than itself.

Stay tuned for more updates coming soon!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #73
duallyjams

That was a close one. That would have been tragic to loose the garage.
I can't wait to see the frame with the running gear.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #74
63GMCKid

Time for some more updates....

I ended up lowering the case down about 1'' from where I had it set up before, mostly to help driveline angles, and so I wouldn't have to hack up the floor of my cab so much. Lowered it down into the frame, looked pretty good.

Then I realized that I had all of 3/16'' of clearance between the rear output housing and the cross member....

So I put some extra clearance in. I also cut the tubes and welded sleeves on, still have to drill them and the short tubes. What this setup does is it lets me pull the short tubes on the passenger side, then slide everything over, and down out of the frame, with the transfer case attached.

And I started on a bell housing mount/cross member. Mocked up and tacked together....

This part of it is finished now, just have to add tabs to the frame for this to fit into.

I figured now might also be a good time to check to see if the trans would clear the tunnel in the cab, so I put my mock up cab on the frame, looks like I'll have a little more cutting to do on the floor, the cab wasn't even far enough back and down to get the cab mount bolts through.

More updates coming soon, stay tuned!
Old 07-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #75
63GMCKid

Last edited by 63GMCKid; 07-01-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: double post
63GMCKid is offline   Reply With Quote