The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #26
JointTech

Re: What do y'all use to get rid of rat p$$$ smell?

Odo-ban. You can get it at wally world. stuff will kill any smell. I put it in my hose sprayer and spray my patio that the dogs pee all over.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #27
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Quote:
And coffee grounds? Well, let's just flag that idea as...
You obviesly haven't tried it. I have and believe me it works. You obviesly have to clean the interior as best you can but the oder that is left behind is what you are masking. Don't knock something untill you try it. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #28
sKnNyPpY

Baking soda and cornstarch. I also like NeutraAir spray
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #29
JMD

I've used baking soda to get smells out of carpet. Just scrub the powder in, let it sit for a couple days, and then vacuum it back up.

The problem is that foam seat, like others have said it's basically a giant sponge that can soak up gallons of urine. If I were in your position, I'd replace the seat.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #30
Lou Boffa

might consider renting a carpet cleaner that has an upholstery attachment that injects and then extracts cleaning solution. I've used these on auto upholstery with good results, though if its deep, you'll still get a wiff on warm humid days.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #31
BB72CHEVKT

Buy a couple of tubes of tooth pasted and empty them on some paper plates and leave them in the truck. We had an animal die under our house and one room stunk bad. We put some tooth paste in the room on a plate and it absorbed the odor.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #32
leftybass209

No offense to anyone but i need to squash some suggestions here for health and safety reasons. My first post in regards to acid vs. alkaline was made with the assumption you WILL strip the cab to bare metal and clean it, while also throwing anything away that may have absorbed it. Rodent feces and urine can transmit HPS through inhalation. you can find all the information abut it here http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/. It's a rare disease but IS located in all parts of the country. That being said, if I put a container of rat crap and pee under your nose that has HPS would you smell it? Obviously not. What if I sprayed the top of it with Febreze, would you smell it then? Still, obviously not. A lot of these topical spray suggestions won't cure any disease you may get, just stop you from throwing up before you get it. Best of luck with the problem, as it is curable, just takes a lot of effort.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #33
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Absolutely DO NOT use bleach. It will combine with the urine and create a kind of chlorine gas that is highly toxic.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #34
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

You might want to check your air duct system and make sure there is not nest in there. The smell could be commingled from there.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #35
roxxx

You may want to try this type of odour killer
http://www.natures-miracle.com/produ...r-remover.aspx I have used this in a herbicide sprayer

http://www.natures-miracle.com/produ...r-remover.aspx purdy smell to this one
roxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #36
litew8

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
No offense to anyone but i need to squash some suggestions here for health and safety reasons. My first post in regards to acid vs. alkaline was made with the assumption you WILL strip the cab to bare metal and clean it, while also throwing anything away that may have absorbed it. Rodent feces and urine can transmit HPS through inhalation. you can find all the information abut it here http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/. It's a rare disease but IS located in all parts of the country. That being said, if I put a container of rat crap and pee under your nose that has HPS would you smell it? Obviously not. What if I sprayed the top of it with Febreze, would you smell it then? Still, obviously not. A lot of these topical spray suggestions won't cure any disease you may get, just stop you from throwing up before you get it. Best of luck with the problem, as it is curable, just takes a lot of effort.
This ^ is absolutely right. I hadn't thought of that angle of this issue before. This is not just a 'rodent' issue if I'm not mistaken. It can happen with Raccoon poop also. Which is why if a Raccoon poops on your deck, you must thoroughly clean it - or else, they (the racoon(s)) will return to the same spot and crap there again. The disease is not one to be taken lightly. If you can, I'd suggest using some sort of respirator while cleaning.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #37
Roadhouse

Reading online it says to use a disinfectant household cleaner or to mix 1 1/2 cups of bleach with a gallon of water. Looks like I will be pulling the seat and hvac system this weekend.
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:36 PM   #38
jamesi20

I've heard that this stuff is the best you can use
Amazon.com: Zorbx Unscented Odor Remover 32oz.:... Amazon.com: Zorbx Unscented Odor Remover 32oz.:...
jamesi20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #39
litew8

Okay, so my above post referring to Raccoon poop is for Baylisascaris procyonis [roundworm] is a genus of roundworms that infest more than fifty animal species. Baylisascaris eggs are passed in faeces and become active within a month. They can remain viable in the environment for years (10's), withstanding heat and cold.

WARNING: Eats human brains! no joke

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/baylisa...onlatrines.pdf

"decontamination of other surfaces is accomplished by thoroughly flaming with a propane torch or treating with lye.[6]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylisascaris
Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 AM   #40
John in SoCal

My truck has a bad smell of rats. I vacuumed, used spray deodorizor, baking soda, vinegar and airing out. After a week plus, the smell still persisted. I figured none of this would work since the pee probably soaked into the carpet, pad and benchseat.

Today I removed the seat and carpet. Even after all of the cleaning the mess under the seat and carpet was terrible. Used 409 and soap to clean the metal. Wow, what a difference. I would say the most of the smell is gone. After this I believe that you might be able to mask the smell but you'll never get rid of it unless you do a thorough cleaning.
John in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:40 AM   #41
swamp rat

I cant help but wonder if the stuff used for cat urine would do the trick, if i remember correctly there was 2 choices, oxygen based or protein based? I bought a house that had some sheet rock that was saturated, after removing it i sprayed the floor and wall studs and it worked great.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #42
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

From my experience, you will have to remove and clean the hvac system to get rid of the smell. When you get the cab as clean as possible, Use coffee as Wes suggested, it works great. When I travel, I always collect the single serving coffee packs from our hotel ( I have to have serious coffee volume from the dining area) Those small coffee packs in the ashtray make a nice smell in our autos.
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:58 AM   #43
John in SoCal

The rats had eaten the top portion if the cardboard glove box. It was probably about an 8x6 area that was exposed. I used the shop vac to get all of their junk out, it looked pretty clean. Anyhow, decided since it was damaged quite a bit I would go ahead and take it out today. Even though it had been vacuumed well there were still areas that were not touched by the vac and were still dirty. Glad I took it out and got it cleaned up even more.

John in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #44
Roadhouse

I pulled the seat, rubber mat and the insulation out of the truck and cleaned the metal. I found a lil bit of rust so I hit it with a wire wheel cleaned it again and put 3 coats of rust mort. Today I pulled the HVAC in the cab and cleaned it all out and sprayed it down with bleach and water. Went ahead and rolled in a couple of coats of bed liner in the floor board, Hopefully that will suffice until I can get the interior ordered up and installed
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #45
rkn463

In my c-50 they had gotten inside the heater. I pulled the entire heater. There was a nest against the heater core. So I scrubbed, sanded and painted inside and out on all of the metal heater pieces and I replaced the duct hoses. Smell gone. Mice can easily get in through the floor duct on the heater if they are in the cab.

-Richard
Old 06-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #46
tommckean001

The best thing I have ever used to remove odors and bacteria is an ozonator. I had a barn find truck full of mouse poop and pee. Put the ozone actor in for a night, and completely gone. Also kills any disease. Will also remove smoke, etc. can't recommend enough.
tommckean001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:41 PM   #47
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
I pulled the seat and used a power washer inside the cab and the seat, before I used the deodorizer.
I pulled the old floor mat, seat and gas tank. Used Super Clean and water mix, 3 quarts water, 1 quart Super Clean. Soaked down the inside and pressure washed out.

Took the seat out front of my shop and soaked it down with the same mixture. Turned the pressure washer down to its lowest pressure and went to town on it. Washed and super cleaned it probably 3-4 times before brown water stopped pouring off. Took my wet/dry shop vac and pulled a lot of the water out of the seat. Let it set in the hot sun for a day to dry. Photo below.
Attached Images

2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:10 PM   #48
gmc684x4

With possible hanta virus it is across north America

I would pull carpet underlays seats ditch the foam pee takes a long time to disapate from those two blocks of foam
Pull heater core housing inside and out vacuum up all dirt follow cdc recomendations for haunta virus
Scrub and nutralize orders
Close up for several days see if smell still persists

Cover floor in rust paint to help reduce rust while at pick a part see if any floor mats are in fair shape

Look for new to truck seat pick a part
For short term or long term

Going to put a 88 98 bench in one of my trucks has the arm rest built in
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:25 PM   #49
HO455
Post Whore

Don't forget the cowl area all the way down to the kick panel vents. Prime rodent real estate that unfortunately vents into the cab.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:08 AM   #50
Richard

A suggestion. Get a living air ozone type air purifier put it on the highest setting in the cab for a day or two with the windows rolled up and the smell will be gone. My boss lent his suburban out. Had a 5 gallon jug of water emptied into it. Rancid smell inside. Left my purifier in there for the weekend and it is okay now.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote