The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
freezmcnally

Cross country…or Bust? Long trip for C10..

hi guys, opinions needed and welcome here.

i have been looking around the forum a lot it has really helped with some decisions. its a great site, so thank you.

I am happy to announce I just purchased a '68 c10 long bed in reno. i have been looking for a while. my dad had a 69 c10 long bed in red and i had hoped to find a decent balance between not a wreck and show truck in that year, but it was a daunting task to find all criteria (color, price, condition). the 68 was hard to pass up and met all criteria…except its a 68. i guess i can deal with that later! (thanks to knowledge base and posts here)

My Plan:
now that i own it, i have to get it back home (arkansas) from reno. I am considering an epic journey to forge a relationship with my new (old) truck! my wife would come with and we would show our new friend the grand canyon on the way (I've never seen it)

it is in great shape a 350 but 4.11 gears (yikes for fuel), but the only questions are:
1. would you make the 1800 mile drive in a 68 c10?

2. suggestions if driving? what should i look out for or be prepared for on these trucks? potential pitfalls?

3. I'm crazy and you would just ship it flatbed instead?
freezmcnally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Re: Cross country…or Bust? Long trip for C10..

If the truck you bought is a 250 6 cyl just take some oil antifreeze a set of points and drive ! Id love to go out west and get a truck I just posted an awesome looking 68 in arizona on cl here the other day , I say go for it !
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
john@thepier

If you feel it can make I would go for it. Sure you may not drive 70+ MPH but if you take your time and check fluids at every fill-up things should be OK. Remember these trucks were crossing the county daily before they became collector old trucks. Have fun and do it. I remember my first 70, I jumped on a plane and flew to SC jumped in and never looked back, since then I have bought trucks all over the country and drove home. I have someone looking at the truck in AZ for me right now. John
john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19673ontree View Post
If the truck you bought is a 250 6 cyl just take some oil antifreeze a set of points and drive ! Id love to go out west and get a truck I just posted an awesome looking 68 in arizona on cl here the other day , I say go for it !
No 3ontree its a 350…would that change the answer?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Kennuck

How often do you get an opportunity to do something like this. Live life, do it!!!
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezmcnally View Post
No 3ontree its a 350…would that change the answer?
The thing about a 6 banger is when they do tear up or break down (unbelievable I know) they may start to puff smoke or something but you have time LOTS of time till it breaks , a 350 is a real good engine but when they break its broke !
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Roadhouse

I would pick a route that would keep me off the interstate and do it. How good of a mechanic are you and what kind of budget do you have to work with would be my only questions?
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
freezmcnally

fine on budget. im not a mechanic, but am mechanically inclined. i think the trip and shipping it would be about the same minus the vacation aspect

Last edited by freezmcnally; 03-03-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
TxTan

Take your time, take a lot of pictures, have a plan if the truck suffers a complete break down, and enjoy the RIDE!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
lousyflyer

4:11 gears? Just bring lots of gas money.
lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
Roadhouse

My wife would be as mad as a wet hen. If I told her we were going on vacation and we ended broke down and wrenching my way back across the country. I would not worry about being a mechanic. There two types of mechanics. One you take your Mercedes to and one you want with you when you break down in the middle of no where. The only way you could make an informed decision would be to fly out there and check it out first, Or maybe you could fly out there and have the funds to rent a vehicle and a trailer.
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

68 trucks came with a 307 or 327 not 350's so I'm assuming its had a transplant along the way. With either V8 and the three on the tree the truck would have had 3:73's standard with optional 3:07 or 4:11 ratios which would be marked on the spid. Do you know for sure it has 4:11's ? I say if you are not worried about the cost of gas and the truck is reasonably sound, go for it and drive her home cause it'll be a memory you and your wife will have forever.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #13
freezmcnally

haha. well, all i can say is i got very lucky in the wife department. she didn't hesitate. just smiled big and said when we visit the grand canyon should we hike down. i agree the gas mileage will suck, and i can't go 70mph. Either way i suppose it would be much more of a life experience than watching it unload off of trailer.
im still deciding, and will for a few days, but i love all the comments. i like to see all perspectives of a decision i haven't made. keep em coming….thanks guys!
Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #14
C10agent

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I would get it shipped. If you have bought this site unseen, it might have issues that even the current owner doesn't know about, espcially going that far. I bought mine on ebay and it WAS NOTHING like I thought. Luckily I had it shipped because it wouldn't have made the 3 hr drive. As much fun as it would be, it might not be the experience you are looking for in the end. Last thing I want to hear is, "I told you so" from the wifey. Just my two cents...
20" American Racing Daytonas
IG - neilioustx - pictures of build/progress

Born and Raised in the Promised Land....
TEXAS Y'ALL!!
C10agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
68 trucks came with a 307 or 327 not 350's so I'm assuming its had a transplant along the way. With either V8 and the three on the tree the truck would have had 3:73's standard with optional 3:07 or 4:11 ratios which would be marked on the spid. Do you know for sure it has 4:11's ? I say if you are not worried about the cost of gas and the truck is reasonably sound, go for it and drive her home cause it'll be a memory you and your wife will have forever.
i haven't even seen it in person yet LOL. my friend is an off road truck builder and engineer. i went by his word that it had 4.11's. so no i dont know myself 100%, but im sure he is right. i stopped looking at engines really, as I've witnessed everything from inline 6 to 350/strokers to 454 to ? i liked the fact it had a good old 350 in it. im not really worried about the cost of gas as getting through places with no gas station, not knowing yet for sure what mpg she gets. note to self: purchase 2 large gas cans for the ride.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #16
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Just for reference, I paid $600 to get my 72 GMC trailered to Wichita, Ks. from Grand Junction Co. If you haven't looked at shipping its not horrible.
I'd love the drive too but if your wife is the least bit "high maintenance" you may reconsider the drive. Its a great thought till there's no A/C or chase vehicle and you break down between exits on I-10 or I-70. Here's how I know...
I had a perfectly good running completed 68 Camaro that puked an almost brand new u-joint on I-10 between Barstow and Vegas. Took 2 hrs to get a ride and try finding a u-joint in that area at a gas station. Finally got it fixed and back driving 6 hrs. later from some nice peoples help(or it would have taken longer).
By all means... I'm not discouraging you from this as I'm crazy enough to do it too, as many others have suggested. Just plan for the worst (supplies and parts)and you'll be proud of yourself if there are no issues.
If you head this way Ill have a bed for you and your wife to sleep in and check the car over good before you continue on.
BTW...I asked my wife and she said I'd be on my own for that drive? LOL

Good luck and Ill be watching for the trip home thread!

Mike
Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #17
BrianG

I'd drive it if you have the time and a little mechanical know how, which you have already said that you do. Since you plan on flying in, I'd stop at the first Sears and pick up one of those 'all in one' tool sets, some hose clamps, electrical tape, pack of wire ties, some binder wire, maybe a can of fix a flat, etc. and take off. You probably will have a good idea if it will make it in the first couple hundred miles. If you feel that it won't, you could rent a u'haul van and trailer, still get your vacation in also that way. Check out the tires and brakes really good, even if that means having them changed at the Sears (or wherever) and have all the fluids checked really well. Take your time, you'll make it. If your relationship with your wife is like mine, you two will have a great time! Good luck and let us know how it goes (with pictures please)!
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #18
freezmcnally

pics
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #19
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I say ask the P.O. his opinion and go for it. It sounds like a fun trip to me...

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #20
Tachout

Let me through my 2 cents in on this. I would not hesitate to just jump in and go, but that is me. Make sure to take some real important things with you:

Tools - Just in case
Cell Phone
Computer (wifi is all over the place)
Contact into of any member on your route that would be willing to help if you need it on your route.

Why not post up a route, and ask if there are any people on the route that would help just incase anything happens.

Also have you posted up asking if there are any members in Reno area that might look over the truck and see what it might need before you make the trip?

Just my thoughts.
Tachout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #21
turp mcspray

Back in the early 90's, I bought a 68 chevelle project. I had it tore apart about as far as you could, without removing it from the frame. I replaced the full floor pan, and decided to put it together and drive it. With a used engine and trans, that was supposedly rebuilt, my wife and I took off for Reno from Watertown S.D., with about 300 in town test miles on it. We put about 4500 miles on round trip. Had to replace a plugged fuel filter, (after several roadside stops to blow out the rusty flakes), and used about a case of oil. Found out later that the rebuilt engine, had the rear main installed backwards. It was a great trip that we will never forget!
I would make sure it has good belts, hoses, and tires. Take along some tools, spare fluids and duct tape.
I would also recommend taking the time to see all the little roadside curiosities along the way. I have pics of my chevelle at the Bonneville salt flats.
I say make the trip. With 4.10's, mileage will suck, but the memories will be priceless!
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #22
Lou Boffa

That's a haul. There are lots on unknowns. I'd assume that something will go wrong. Couple of thoughts: once you get there take the truck to a good mechanic (if you arent one) and have it checked out and drive the heck out of it for a day or so. Get to know its ride, alignment and handling. I'd have a plan B set up if anything come up. Have a hauler in mind, a price and a means to get it shipped in case its not up for the trip. Secondly (and you guys tell me if this is off base) map out your trip, find some of the members here that are mechancis along your route as a resource. There are good members on this board from Reno that can set you up with a mechanic in Reno for a start. That's what I'd do--especially with a good wife in tow.
Just read Tachouts comment. X2
Old 03-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #23
ol_skool_chevy

pay the fee for AAA..............you very well might need it..I have had it for over 30 years

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #24
freezmcnally

he passed away unfortunately. it was his friend selling it for his wife and wasn't into trucks.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #25
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Boffa View Post
That's a haul. There are lots on unknowns. I'd assume that something will go wrong. Couple of thoughts: once you get there take the truck to a good mechanic (if you arent one) and have it checked out and drive the heck out of it for a day or so. Get to know its ride, alignment and handling. I'd have a plan B set up if anything come up. Have a hauler in mind, a price and a means to get it shipped in case its not up for the trip. Secondly (and you guys tell me if this is off base) map out your trip, find some of the members here that are mechancis along your route as a resource. There are good members on this board from Reno that can set you up with a mechanic in Reno for a start. That's what I'd do--especially with a good wife in tow.
Just read Tachouts comment. X2
thats a great idea.