The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2018, 12:29 AM   #1
dmjlambert

Things people say when windows are rolled down

Since my A/C doesn't work, I usually have the windows down and arm hanging out the window. It's hot. But it does give the opportunity to talk with others on the road. On Friday, I pull up to a red traffic light, and an older guy in the lane next to me in an "old" beat up Chevy truck with peeling paint, probably something like a 2000 model, looks over at me and hollers "Hey!" so I say "Hi!" He looked at my truck and said "I'm gonna drive mine until it looks like THAT!" I said "it looks like you are well on your way" and he agreed and smiled.

Today I was going through the parking lot at Kroger grocery store, past the entrance, and a whole family walked really slow in front of and around my truck just smiling like crazies. The Mom of the group just said "I really like your car!" I said thanks.

I think most people can't believe it runs. I just dragged it out of a field and had the motor rebuilt, and started driving. That is a summary because those of you who look at my posts know the challenges I've had to get it to this point. Thank you guys for the great advice and information.

I do wash the windows every now and then. It's not patina, no. Finish by Chevy and Mother Nature.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:52 AM   #2
truckster

Re: Things people say when windows are rolled down

My favorite Blazer story: I took my wife out to eat at a place that has outdoor seating. As we pulled up, there was a young dad sitting at a table near the curb with his little son and daughter. As I stopped the Blazer, the little boy (about 4 years old) looked up at my truck with wide eyes and said, "I want to ride in that!"

I turned to my wife and said, "That's exactly how I feel all the time."
Old 08-28-2018, 03:32 AM   #3
RustyPile

My lowered '71 has a cammed up BBC and almost no mufflers.. I stopped at a red light a few days ago and the passenger in a Mustang next to me gave me a thumbs up.. He asked "Whatcha got under the hood??"

"A 454", says I..
Why such a big engine??, he asked..
"Not sure, but as soon as I put it in, guys in Mustangs quit trying to race me..."..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:09 AM   #4
FRCvette

I get compliments and thumbs up everyday I drive my truck. This truck gets more attention than anything I have ever owned. I have owned lots of cars much nicer than my c/10. I love it tho.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I do wash the windows every now and then.
You are one up on me! Guess I better break out the Sprayway & paper towels. Your truck looks good to me.
yuccales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
Jim Boy

Smile Re: Things people say when windows are rolled down

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRCvette View Post
I get compliments and thumbs up everyday I drive my truck. This truck gets more attention than anything I have ever owned. I have owned lots of cars much nicer than my c/10. I love it tho.
The problem with all those compliments when you think about it is that you can't be picking your nose while driving as there is somebody always watching eh. Have a good one.
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
S_Gibson

Your truck looks great to me. With no AC I have no choice either.

My wife and son thought I was an idiot buying the old rusted pickup. My daughter and the dog loved though so that is what mattered

The first time I took the wife for a ride in it she was amazed at how smooth it rode and how many heads it turned. Nearly everywhere we stopped someone commented on it. My wife enjoys riding in it and gives little resistance when I need to spend a couple bucks to maintain it.

My son however kept joking about it until he needed help moving to his new house. A few of his neighbors commented on it. I think he saw it was not only nostalgic but relevant. I haven't heard him down the old truck since.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #8
davepl

When I was a teenager out cruising I was sitting at a light when a carload of very attractive girls pulled up beside me and roll the window down, which of course I eagerly did as well... only to be greeted with:

"Oh, did someone fart in your car too?"

Never heard that before or since! I hope I laughed...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #9
palallin

Quote:
an older guy in the lane next to me in an "old" beat up Chevy truck with peeling paint, probably something like a 2000 model, looks over at me and hollers "Hey!" so I say "Hi!" He looked at my truck and said "I'm gonna drive mine until it looks like THAT!"
Lost cause: the 2000 will NEVER look as good as yours no matter what!

Old 08-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #10
OregonNed

Not too long ago my wife and I were in the truck with both windows down as it was pretty warm. Some sort of hybrid with young people were in it, and we could hear them making exaggerated coughs (guessing they were making some sort of statement about my exhaust from the old truck). Light turned green for me so I gave them a nice accelerated blast of Chevy fragrance...
Old 08-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #11
par4rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonNed View Post
Not too long ago my wife and I were in the truck with both windows down as it was pretty warm. Some sort of hybrid with young people were in it, and we could hear them making exaggerated coughs (guessing they were making some sort of statement about my exhaust from the old truck). Light turned green for me so I gave them a nice accelerated blast of Chevy fragrance...
Shoulda gave 'em a dose of tire smoke........
par4rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #12
OregonNed

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4rick View Post
Shoulda gave 'em a dose of tire smoke........
That was the bonus scent -
Old 08-28-2018, 12:37 PM   #13
bill3rail

Quote:
Since my A/C doesn't work, I usually have the windows down and arm hanging out the window. It's hot.

It's not patina, no. Finish by Chevy and Mother Nature.
AC? What is that? I always run my 2/50 Cooling...Two windows open and 50 MPH!

That is one nice truck.

Paint by Chevrolet, Perfected by Mother Nature!

Bill
Old 08-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #14
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Several years ago I was at a red light in my 68 stepside and a man in a truck pulled up beside me. He asked me, "Hey buddy! Can you tell me what year this is?" I looked right at him, serious as a Star Trek Vulcan, and replied, "The year is presently 2014!" He looked at me, died laughing, then asked me what year the TRUCK was! I promptly told him,"1968" and joined him in the laughing.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #15
stevenfromtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA View Post
Several years ago I was at a red light in my 68 stepside and a man in a truck pulled up beside me. He asked me, "Hey buddy! Can you tell me what year this is?" I looked right at him, serious as a Star Trek Vulcan, and replied, "The year is presently 2014!" He looked at me, died laughing, then asked me what year the TRUCK was! I promptly told him,"1968" and joined him in the laughing.
stevenfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #16
Killer Bee

in the state I live in now, profanity filter won't allow, prius and subaru drivers abhor everything I drive

back home where I'm from, everyone waves and most take the time to say howdy or at least nod and smile
Old 08-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #17
NC_John

I was out last Wednesday, dyno day, when the tuner and I took the truck to lunch to see how it ran overall. We were stopped at a traffic light, in the middle of a very busy intersection when I noticed a guy at a gas station giving me the "thumbs up." I waved back. Then he proceeded to run out into the street dodging cars and came up to the truck in the middle of traffic. If I wasn't in the truck I'd have gotten my handgun out, it was that weird. I cranked down my window (I now have A/C and LOVE IT) and he said "man, that sounds awesome!!!! What are you running?" I just grinned and said, "6.0 LS," (and added jokingly) "mostly stock" (complete lie and we both knew it) and he gets this look on his face and gets all mad and says "B.S! That isn't stock!" and kept going on as the light changed and we pulled away. Man, he was pissed. You'd think we were going to race for pink slips

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #18
tdangle

I get more thumbs up and is it for sale questions driving my truck than anything I've ever owned. Wife doesn't understand it, after all it is various colors and primer. Wonder what the comments will be after paint.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #19
slomotion
Old Duffer

We can't go too far without someone acknowledging the truck with a nod, thumbs up, or smile. It gets a little old at the big box store when I'm loading mulch, lumber, or something on the deck and someone wants to talk about it, but I try to be gracious and we chat for a while.
Another story about open windows: At one point I had a black '52 Chevy coupe. It had wide whites, red wheels, and dog dish hub caps with the obligatory stainless trim ring. I was stopped at a light in downtown Fort Lauderdale when a guy pulled up beside me. It went like this....

Him. "Nice car"
Me "Thank you"
Him "'51?"
Me "Nope, '52"
Him "Yep, I had one identical to yours!"
Me " Still have it?"
Him "Nope sold it years ago, but it was an identical twin to your's only mine was green, had big hubcaps, and was a four door.'
Me "Is that so? Oops, light's green, gotta go! Have a good one...."

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #20
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Fu
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #21
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
We can't go too far without someone acknowledging the truck with a nod, thumbs up, or smile. It gets a little old at the big box store when I'm loading mulch, lumber, or something on the deck and someone wants to talk about it, but I try to be gracious and we chat for a while.
Another story about open windows: At one point I had a black '52 Chevy coupe. It had wide whites, red wheels, and dog dish hub caps with the obligatory stainless trim ring. I was stopped at a light in downtown Fort Lauderdale when a guy pulled up beside me. It went like this....

Him. "Nice car"
Me "Thank you"
Him "'51?"
Me "Nope, '52"
Him "Yep, I had one identical to yours!"
Me " Still have it?"
Him "Nope sold it years ago, but it was an identical twin to your's only mine was green, had big hubcaps, and was a four door.'
Me "Is that so? Oops, light's green, gotta go! Have a good one...."

I get that on occasion on my not for looks or travel C20 Super. It's usually 1960-70s guys with a clue, perhaps their sons. While there used to be one on every block early 90s, for the most part, folks here don't know what they're looking at outside an old truck. There aren't many around here any longer. I see 1-2 a week.

My project truck will get more attention. That's one reason I'm painting it Ochre - to ward some off Less is more...........ha!
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #22
Willys_MB

I recently had a motorcyclist follow me for 5 miles from a gas station to pull up next to me and tell me that my truck sounds really nice. Then he sped off back the way we came from... My wife and I both sat there and said, "wow, that was weird..."
Old 08-28-2018, 07:24 PM   #23
macdaddy70

Wifey and I were recently cruising. When I drive my arm dangles out the door. She asked why I did this and that she has only seen old men drive like that (I am 50). Right on cue a truck pulls up beside us at a stop light...on her side...with his arm dangling out the window!!!!. He says the normal "nice ride, what model", etc. He then asks what I will take for her. I responded "you mean the truck or the wife?" The light changed and I left. He was still at the light laughing, and my wife knocked the crap out of my arm. Good times.
macdaddy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #24
Red71gmc

I had my air conditioner working for about a week before it stopped again. I caught my self rolling the window down with it on because I couldn't hear the exhaust and engine as well. It just doesn't seem right driving these trucks with the window up.
I also get thumbs up and even the Harley wave by that crowd. Last night a guy stopped me on the way out of a restaurant to give my truck praise and we talked for several minutes about the old rides.
Everyone likes seeing these things.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:37 PM   #25
Red71gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
When I was a teenager out cruising I was sitting at a light when a carload of very attractive girls pulled up beside me and roll the window down, which of course I eagerly did as well... only to be greeted with:

"Oh, did someone fart in your car too?"

Never heard that before or since! I hope I laughed...
When I was a teenager I didn't think girls ever farted. Ohhh... the good old days before I found out different.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote