The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
xKid4x4s

LS or old school?

hey there guys/gals. I have a 1994 chevy shortbed 2 door truck, and Im taking the TBI engine and trans out, And I wanted to know if I should go with a stock junkyard LS or I already have a re machined new 355 with 2.02 heads from an early 80s truck and the heads came from a camaro.

I was debating an LS styled engine because I want DECENT fuel economy and good power, but I already have the 355 just begging to be put in it. If I did the 355 I would put a FAST EFI system on it, and it would have a 4L80 with Overdrive anyway.

so my real question is, would the 355 with overdrive and efi be able to compete at all with a junyard stock 5.7 LS style engine?

thanks everyone in advance
Attached Images

xKid4x4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
GM-power

Re: LS or old school?

I'm assuming you'll be using the efi on the ls? For me if I had that choice, I'd go ls for sure. Just stock I'm sure it'll outperform the 355 your thinking of putting together. Is the block from a 80s truck and the from the camaro, kinda confusing how you wrote it. Anywho old school stuff is fun but a mild 355 couldn't touch a ls imop.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Old school for ease of workmanship.
LS for modern technology and better fuel economy.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj's chevy View Post
old school for ease of workmanship.
Ls for modern technology and better fuel economy.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #5
xKid4x4s

yeah sorry the block is from probably a late 80s truck, and the heads are from an early camaro. thanks for the reply
Old 12-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

"Camaro" heads means nothing. It could be any kind of head.

You can get decent fuel mileage out of either. Depends on how you tune and your driving style.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
cableguy0

I would go LS for sure. Probably wouldn't bother with the first gen 5.7ls I would find a 5.3 myself. The ls might actually be cheaper by the time you buy the fast fuel injection and the controller for the 4l80 in the older truck. The Ls with a cam upgrade will run circles around a 355 in both power and mileage.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
xKid4x4s

Quote:
I would go LS for sure. Probably wouldn't bother with the first gen 5.7ls I would find a 5.3 myself. The ls might actually be cheaper by the time you buy the fast fuel injection and the controller for the 4l80 in the older truck. The Ls with a cam upgrade will run circles around a 355 in both power and mileage.

I suppose your right, The 5.3 I heard pretty great things about it, but im running 36 inch tires and 3/4 ton suspension and diffs, so maybe something a bit bigger, I once had a 6.0 HO, maybe I can find one of them. thanks
Old 12-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
cableguy0

Don't get worried about the cubic inches with the ls engines. Most 4.8's are making more power than a cammed 350. The 5.3 is more than capable and will get decent mileage. The 6.0 is a tad more thirsty and obviously will make more power but the 5.3 can easily make 400-450hp with doing a lot of work to it. The 6.0 will be a lot easier to find with a 4l80e already attached though. Whatever you get make sure you get everything. The accessories, wiring and computer. The little stuff will eat you alive at the auto parts store.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
xKid4x4s

Quote:
Don't get worried about the cubic inches with the ls engines. Most 4.8's are making more power than a cammed 350. The 5.3 is more than capable and will get decent mileage. The 6.0 is a tad more thirsty and obviously will make more power but the 5.3 can easily make 400-450hp with doing a lot of work to it. The 6.0 will be a lot easier to find with a 4l80e already attached though. Whatever you get make sure you get everything. The accessories, wiring and computer. The little stuff will eat you alive at the auto parts store.
Okay I think you convinced me LOL, so for the wiring, can I cut the harness where it goes into the fire wall? what do I need from the harness. thanks
Old 12-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #11
cableguy0

DONT CUT ANYTHING. The engine harness will be one piece. Take everything including the fuse panel if you can get it. All of the engine wiring is under the hood. Take the oxygen sensor too if you can. Don't know what your skill level is but you can either do the harness yourself or send it and the computer out. The computer has to be tuned to remove the vats system as well as delete some of the emissions stuff.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #12
xKid4x4s

Right i know to take all the engine gear but all that harness under thr dash is difficult to remove and im fairly sure i wont need all of it. Just not to sure on what i dont need from that side of the harness and what i do need. I know the fuse box under the hood connects to the one in the truck ao do i also need that fuse box too? Thanks
Old 12-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #13
cableguy0

You don't need the interior harness except for the Data link connector. Many junkyards sell complete take outs on ebay. I would search around. The underhood fuse block is the one that would make your like easier. That's where the engine gets it powers from. It would also contain the ciruits for a fuel pump and even electric fans depending on the year of the truck.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #14
xKid4x4s

Alright thanks i appreciate it. Happy holidays
Old 12-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #15
xKid4x4s

Old 12-25-2015, 12:40 AM   #16
4 Wheelin Fudpucker

Id not run 2.02 heads on the street with unleaded fuel. They crack between the valves.
You need to run Duralt lead additive, which may not be made any more.
1.94s are big as I run, for the last 40 years or so.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #17
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

2.02's with hardened valve seats are just fine on the streets.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #18
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Ya know, this hybrid thing is really starting to intrigue me. I'm not sure I can justify the one-off pieces and the cost,,... well..... yet.

I think I'm going to have to build one, put it ion a dyno and see what the $ per pound of torque ends up. The LS power and reliability in a standard tried and true SBC bottom end

I wouldn't do a carburated version for anything but a drag motor,, but the possibilities of a stock LS EFI top end on a 4" stroke SBC with something like the AFR mongoose heads just gives me a tremble in the knees.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #19
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
I wouldn't do a carburated version for anything but a drag motor,, but the possibilities of a stock LS EFI top end on a 4" stroke SBC with something like the AFR mongoose heads just gives me a tremble in the knees.
With our brains and your money... we could do this!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #20
68post

Quote:
Ya know, this hybrid thing is really starting to intrigue me. I'm not sure I can justify the one-off pieces and the cost,,... well..... yet.

I think I'm going to have to build one, put it ion a dyno and see what the $ per pound of torque ends up. The LS power and reliability in a standard tried and true SBC bottom end

I think its a great concept, and truly is the "best of both worlds". A great aftermarket block that is needed for a high output old school sbc build, ease of installation with the affordability of the Gen-1 bottom-end components, and the great flowing LS heads of your choice. What's not to like !?

I assume there are LS swap headers for a square body out there ??
edit; I see 2wd swap headers, they're a little salty but not a game changer.
94 K1500 lifted shortbed 350 4 bbl NV4500

Last edited by 68post; 12-28-2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: no
68post is offline   Reply With Quote